Why is 3DR not selling replacement parts?

Reaction score
I just went onto the 3DR website to grab a new motor pod and found that they are not selling replacement parts for the solo. I did purchase a new shell from them about 2 months ago, but it is no longer available. Anybody know what's going on?

I know there are other places to get them, but I live in Canada and direct from 3dr was the most reliable.

Looks like B&H is all stocked up 3dr solo | B&H Photo Video

For anyone not familiar with B&H they're among one of the two online stores that professional photographers completely trust. The other is Adorama. You don't have to worry about B&H trying to pull anything on you, they are 100% on the up and up.

B&H is better than direct for Canadians because if you get to $99, shipping is free. I live in Ontario, and it takes 2 days!

Reactions: Maddog
B&H has been around forever. I remember buying gear and cabling from them when was in high school in the 90s.

Thanks. Gonna use B&H.

Still wondering with 3DR stopped selling replacement parts?

I asked the support chat straight up, will the store offer motor pods again?

Answer:
"We have not been told, but there will be an announcement on the web site soon".

Do you really care where the parts are as long as they are available?

This doesn't mean the end of the Solo. All the Enterprise work they are doing is based on the Solo, so it will remain in production.

Don't make a big deal out of this for nothing. Go to B&H

I see this as part of a normal process. You don't want to sell to end users forever. Once you get up and running you want to establish a supply chain so you can sell thousands of units to one company and let them deal with the end users. If anything this is a sign of a maturing company.

I see this as part of a normal process. You don't want to sell to end users forever. Once you get up and running you want to establish a supply chain so you can sell thousands of units to one company and let them deal with the end users. If anything this is a sign of a maturing company.
No, a mature company like Boeing will have parts for planes stock up for decades even the model is no longer produced.

No, a mature company like Boeing will have parts for planes stock up for decades even the model is no longer produced.
Seriously? You're comparing 3DR (a retail manufacturer) to Boeing (a major commercial and military aircraft manufacturer that when they have a good or bad year it there's a line item in the US GDP that you can point to and say - "yeah, that blip there is Boeing.")

So as an FYI I live in the heart of Boeing country. I know Boeing employees in manufacturing, engineering, and support. My wife is a Boeing engineer and my brother-in-law is in Boeing manufacturing.

I drive past the Boeing spares warehouse frequently (side note - it covers 15 acres and won an award for having the flattest concrete pour in the world when it was built.) They have spare parts from an entire wing down to something so small you need a magnifying glass to see it. They don't have decades of wings in that building or any of their other spares distribution centers around the world (there's 7 of them). Yeah, they have lots of spare parts but to warehouse decades of parts is a waste of money.

For out of production aircraft they have a build center in Long Beach, CA where they fulfill requests by machining them.

Just because 3DR isn't selling parts directly to the end user doesn't mean that they're not manufacturing and making them available as is evident by the parts available at B&H.

3DR is in the retail market where margins are razor thin and you need to keep costs under control. If you were a retail manufacturer. Which would you rather do?

A) Make 1,000 motor pods, ship them to your warehouse where you store them until an order is placed for 1 of them, then pay people to take the order, pick and ship the pod.

B) Make 1,000 motor pods, ship them to B&H and let them deal with the end users.

The cost may be a wash but the uncertain intangibles of the infrastructure required to support such an operation are shifted to another company, thus reducing your uncertain expenditures and allowing for better budgeting and forecasting.

When you're a young company you're not going to get B&H to even talk to you. When you've matured a little you can get retail aggregators to move your product for you.

Reactions: RichWest
seriously, if you are familiar with Boeing operation, you should know they DON'T manufacture EVERY parts. yet they stock EVERY parts. The size of the company has no bearing on parts availability, it is all about logistic and planning.

Interesting that spare parts are gone at 3DR but this appeared. Is this new?

Solo GPS Shield V2 - 3DR
View attachment 3725
I have 2 iris's first version and iris+ I just had an extra iris+ gps cover it is foam with copper foil between foil and I cut it to size and have been using this for a year and it works great! and it was only 5usd I live in a city brick home and get 13 sats inside outside I get sat lock in under 1 minute

seriously, if you are familiar with Boeing operation, you should know they DON'T manufacture EVERY parts. yet they stock EVERY parts. The size of the company has no bearing on parts availability, it is all about logistic and planning.
Of course they don't manufacturer every part. They have people all over the world, some of whom work out of their garages (which I've seen).

Yes they stock every part, but I maintain that they do not stock DECADES of parts, which is the part of your assertion I'm challenging.

Except they aren't getting any enterprise work.
You've got an excellent point.

Solo is a great platform for survey type missions, and 3DR has an end-to-end solution, but the industry doesn't need an end-to-end solution, especially at the prices they're charging.

I've worked with some surveyors on projects where they needed someone who could legally fly a drone for them and my sense is that they're care a lot less about an end-to-end solution than they do something they can cobble together with minimum intervention. Solo's biggest problem that I can see is you have to download the logs and run them through another application to geotag the images. While not difficult it's a step you don't have to do with DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig