Why I think "Solo" as best for Drone Hobby

Reactions: Maddog
I'm 75 and been droning 3 years. Bought my first Solo when price went low.have 2 now but never flown spare. Love it and the great pics. But it's big. Wanted something to take on trips

Well I saved my bucks and bought Mavic.
Perfect. ..money well spent.
I fly both now. .Solo at home and Mavic on trips. Both do great
Now I have built my first racer. That's a different ball game and great fun
I recommend a racer for a newbie first.
That's my ravings and love my new hobby.
Bill
Thank you for sharing Bill .

Thanks Pyrate!

you have tapped into what makes solo stand out. OpenSource and strong community
it will be around for a long time, esp if they ever release the gimbal code.
lots of things still in the works for solo
and its pretty dang good right out of the box

Good Advice KenMc!

Kevin -

Welcome - I'm a new member too.

My first drone was a Parallax ELEV-8 v3 kit - I liked it's open source aspect - but the community is relatively small. I'm swapping out the flight controller with a PixHawk 2.1.

When the Green cube came out (PixHawk 2.1 for the Solo) - I jumped into the Solo. Got a BestBuy open box Solo for $200 (no GoPro or gimbal) I expected to have to upgrade it to the Green cube - but decided to try it out without it. Very impressive, stable flight. I've added the GPS upgrade and changed out GPS RF shield (even though the stock GPS has a stable reputation). I've added the Solex Ap. I'm still experimenting with the Solo - I keep it tethered and I have a ways to go before I'm comfortable it.

Even without the Green cube the Solo is a really slick drone. (That's my next upgrade after I get the ELEV-8 conversion done.)

But...one piece of advice about drones --- Learn to Fly WITHOUT assistance. Sure - the new drones (including the Solo) almost fly themselves. But inevitably assistance is going to fail and you will have to fly without it -- you will have just seconds to take the right action when it happens. A drone is like a 3D air puck - you have to be on top of it all the time in manual mode.

Fortunately you can start small - I started with a Blade Nano QX - bouncing off walls.

Good luck! And enjoy.

The Solo is a great drone and I'm glad that it was my first; the only drawback is its size. The backpack that I carry my DSLR in along with three extra lenses, flash, my Mavic with three extra batteries, iPad mini 4 and a handheld gimbal for my gopro is SMALLER than the 3dr backpack.

Guess which drone went on my last road trip down the California coastline?

Thanks Z953!

I'm 75 and been droning 3 years. Bought my first Solo when price went low.have 2 now but never flown spare. Love it and the great pics. But it's big. Wanted something to take on trips

Well I saved my bucks and bought Mavic.
Perfect. ..money well spent.
I fly both now. .Solo at home and Mavic on trips. Both do great
Now I have built my first racer. That's a different ball game and great fun
I recommend a racer for a newbie first.
That's my ravings and love my new hobby.
Bill
Thanks for sharing Bill... continue to enjoy...I know I will....

The range sucks. Buy at minimum the ALFA -7db antennas!! Second range mod for range is to buy bothe the MicoTEK for controller and Solo... ...This should get you nearly a mile. And third get a Revaux of FPVLR antenna ($130) With these upgrades guys are reporting nearly 2 miles range.

I went 1.65 miles away the other day with only the $18 ALFA antennas on a stock setup. Still had clear video as well. I was quite impressed!

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig