Which of the two?

Which One?

• Total voters
I have the Galaxy Tab A. Seems to work well, but I have heard great things about the Nvidia Shield and Kelly (Solex developer) recommends it. Samsung likes to put their own spin on Android, so the Shield may be a better choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well the nexus tablets were omitted and since the 3DR team used them for testing back when they were still developing it is a fair other entry
I use a nexus 9 and other than no hdmi out find it can go head to head with the shield

Reactions: Russ Knight
I'm wanting to purchase the Solex app and am trying to get a feel for the best Android tablet for the money. Currently using an iPad mini.

Look, I've been a Nexus guy every since the Samsung Galaxy Nexus days. I bought two Nexus 7 tablets (the first iteration, or 2012), and a Nexus 10, as well as buying a Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 phone (which is still my primary phone). Nexus for me was great because it was unlocked, no mfr bloatware installed.

The Nexus 10 is a bit of a pig as far as size goes. Also now, it's gotten a little deprecated as it runs slow and won't update past Lollipop. I decided on the 199 dollar Nvidia Shield K1. Love it. Works great for the Solo. Both the stock app and Solex (which I have both). The Shield also just updated to the latest version of Android (7 - Nougat) and runs great.

I'm using Samsung Tab E with Verizon SIMM installed. It's got great battery life and IPS outdoor brightness setting for those sunny days even with a shade in place. About $250.

Hell, I like the Shield tablet so much I'm thinking about even buying the Shield TV unit to replace an old WDTV Live box I have.

I'm using Samsung Tab E with Verizon SIMM installed. It's got great battery life and IPS outdoor brightness setting for those sunny days even with a shade in place. About $250.
Hello ZdroneZ. Your comment here may have confirmed my suspicion of why I am not able to get maps to show up when out in the field because I don't have data reception on my tablet, Samsung Tab A. Can you address my issue of why I can't get maps while in the field? The tablet has GPS function but only when close to wifi connection. Do I need a tablet with cellular connection? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Yes. When I bought my original Solo package over a year ago it came with the Nexus 7. Was great while I was learning to fly around home. But when out and about without WiFi its nice to have cell service built in, not having to set my smartphone to Hotspot and switching back and forth my WiFi connections on my Solo tablet.

I suppose if you have Hotspot capabilities on your smartphone and service plan you can roam that way. I prefer having it all in one.

I suppose if you have Hotspot capabilities on your smartphone and service plan you can roam that way. I prefer having it all in one.
Yes. When I bought my original Solo package over a year ago it came with the Nexus 7. Was great while I was learning to fly around home. But when out and about without WiFi its nice to have cell service built in, not having to set my smartphone to Hotspot and switching back and forth my WiFi connections on my Solo tablet.
Thank you Zdrone. I have been checking out a couple of tablets with simm capabilities. I appreciate your help.

Glad to help. Most tablets with data capabilities including Samsung cannot access WiFi and 4G simultaneously. Kind of a bummer. But when I arrive at a new area I usually take my time on preflight setup and mapping, ect so accessing data separately is no problem. In areas where I know there is no cell service I try to download my maps ahead of time hoping I have all the data I need. Happy flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado