Which App

Reaction score
Does everyone prefer and use? I see Tower, 3DR's own and Solex.

Rich, I'd venture to say most who have Solo are using the 3DR app. Some of those on Android have probably moved to Solex. Those doing more mission planning style shoots are using Tower. Most 'Solofiles' have all three at their disposal (and multiple platforms to run them).

Also, if doing mostly cinematic shoots, 3DR and Solex are the tools.
If doing agriculture and mapping work, Tower.
If doing repeatable multi point shots that are at the limits of line of site, Tower.

My very wild guess is that
- most of iOS users are using 3DR exclusively. (nothing else to use unless they also have an Android)
- 1/3 of Android users use 3DR and 1/3 use Solex with 1/3 using Tower
- Solex numbers are always increasing and will overtake 3DR on an Android within a year.
- Solex will release an iOS version (wild guessing still!)

While I have all three, I use 3DR almost exclusively (I'm on iOS). Still testing out Solex on my very cheep Android device.

I could be wrong. ;-)

Reactions: SARDG
Thank you, Perry. I have only Android devices except my phone, which is Windows based (gag I know). Solex looks really promising. Mostly I will be doing only personal aerial video and stills. Other than the current price at Best Buy, the orbit function really drew me to the Solo

Orbit - me too ;-)
Keep in mind that all updates to the Solo come from the 3DR app. So, if you run Solex, boot up 3DR app once in a while (or when you see it posted in the forums). I had thought the updates were over but they released one just this week.

Reactions: RichWest
I've been mainly using an iPhone 6+ but thinking of switching to my Android Galaxy Tab A for the bigger screen. Wondering if I'll run into any inconveniences with a wi-fi only tablet when in the field. I'm guessing it may only affect the smart shots in that I won't be able to pull the sat imagery.

Orbit - me too ;-)
Keep in mind that all updates to the Solo come from the 3DR app. So, if you run Solex, boot up 3DR app once in a while (or when you see it posted in the forums). I had thought the updates were over but they released one just this week.
Hi,
Very informative.... thanks...
I am in the same mix with three devices... one iPad on Solo Controller with 3DR App, one Android T555 with Tower, one old iPhone for Sequoia...A true cockpit with only two hands... sometimes 4 when my customer wants to watch the real-time video (no way to let him pointing his fingers on my screens...)
And now considering Solex...

I have another issue: as I am just starting to "play" with Solo parameters: I use Tower.
Good choice or not ?

I believe Tower is the only choice when it comes to changing parameters outside of the few offered in Solex and 3DR app.

Add mission planner to the list. It's not an app, but is a program that is rich with features for a more advanced user. Really the app choice is dependent on what your use is. Say you are just free flying and want to do something simple like changing LED color, Solex is great. If you want to change parameters with a true app, Tower. If you are doing survey work and post processing, Pix4D capture might be on the list. I'm new to this, but I'm trying them all out and have learned a fair amount in just the last week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks