When flying with an AMA club, sometimes a higher ceiling is granted.

Reaction score
Some AMA clubs get clearance for a higher ceiling for a few hours from the FAA. You need to go through the proper channels, call the local tower that's controlling the airpsace you are in. If you are in an AMA club or a registered drone pilot with a license you can be granted clearing during a specific time window.

How would I override the 3DR 400ft ceiling ? Mission Planner ? Tower ?

I'd imaging to achieve an altitude over 1300ft I would need to upgrade the antennea. I wouldn't want an 800mw
wifi module in the bird and in the controller because A. I wouldn't want an rf source so close to my head. That's just tempting fate for eye cancer. Also it would reduce flight time.

Do any of you fly higher or further ? What do you do. Currently flying at 400ft ceiling. Is it possible to fly within a 2 mile radius at a 400ft altitude ?

Last edited:
You can change the max altitude in the 3DR or Solex app. I think beyond 400' it is just "unlimited ".
Folks routinely get out beyond 2500' in range with stock antennas so you don't necessarily need to upgrade just because you want to fly higher than 400'.
I agree, I'd rather use directional antennas than just blasting more RF power everywhere.
Your range at 1300' will be similar to your max range at 400'. There should be a little less noise at that altitude but the slant range will be greater.
Unless you fly in the boonies, don't expect to get to 2 miles. Even then battery life will become critical.

You don't need to be at an AMA field to go above 400ft. You don't need to be an AMA member at all. You don't need the AMA's permission. You don't need ATC permission. You don't need the airport's permission. You don't need "a license". You don't need to be registered. And there is no such thing as a time window for it. 400ft is a guideline. Not a law or regulation. The only AMA rule is that if you're within 3 miles of an airport, you notify that airport operator first before flying above 400ft. That's all.

Now, it's made quite clear that you must make all efforts to avoid interfering with manned aircraft and creating a hazard. So if you choose to exceed 400ft, you better be ready to defend your actions in the event of an incident. The guidelines state you should avoid it unless it is actually more dangerous to operate lower.

Reactions: andrew.baker.142
You don't need to be at an AMA field to go above 400ft. You don't need to be an AMA member at all. You don't need the AMA's permission. You don't need ATC permission. You don't need the airport's permission. You don't need "a license". You don't need to be registered. And there is no such thing as a time window for it. 400ft is a guideline. Not a law or regulation..

That is, unless you're flying a DJI drone. In that case, 100ft seems to be the new limit, unless you comply with their draconian registration and software update policy. :)

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
You don't need to be at an AMA field to go above 400ft. You don't need to be an AMA member at all. You don't need the AMA's permission. You don't need ATC permission. You don't need the airport's permission. You don't need "a license". You don't need to be registered. And there is no such thing as a time window for it. 400ft is a guideline. Not a law or regulation. The only AMA rule is that if you're within 3 miles of an airport, you notify that airport operator first before flying above 400ft. That's all.

Now, it's made quite clear that you must make all efforts to avoid interfering with manned aircraft and creating a hazard. So if you choose to exceed 400ft, you better be ready to defend your actions in the event of an incident. The guidelines state you should avoid it unless it is actually more dangerous to operate lower.

There would seem to be some ambiguity. See here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/
Under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft the second point (b.) which is listed under the word "must" (which generally accords something force of law) says 'Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines'

However, this:
Where to Fly
Says 'Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines' which decidedly does not have force of law.

Yes you must follow community based guidelines. And those community guidelines are basically as I described. The OP's understanding if the law and the guidelines was completely off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44