Video - Software mod to increase radio range - hostapd.conf

It's probably worth power cycling, on the odd occasion the Solo may choose a pair of channels where reception isn't so good, but a power cycle would sort that.

Ok. Will try again later and (power cycle if necessary) and see how it goes.

So does this download the file, apply edits based on the strings for each element needing to be changed, then writes back the edited version?

Presumably this means you could write a tool to automatically download dataflash logs? As that process is even less complex...

The process for grabbing the latest dataflash log is:

-connect to solo wifi
-ssh into [email protected]
-execute loadLog.py latest
-logxx.bin will be in the /log directory
-use sftp to copy the *.bin file(s) to your computer

Yes, the tool connects, downloads the hostapd.conf, edits the local copy, then uploads the modified version back up and calculates the MD5 hash.

Definitely could add a function to download the log files.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Yes, the tool connects, downloads the hostapd.conf, edits the local copy, then uploads the modified version back up and calculates the MD5 hash..
Have you got the copy of this utility on a website somewhere, where I can do a direct download link in the video description?

It would be nice to understand what each of these tweaks does and the ramifications of each before we start spreading it like wildfire. :) I know people can revert back easily, but understanding what each parameter does and how it helps (or hurts) is wise.

If these were the optimal parameters, then 3DR would have used them, i'm sure! ;) It's not just a channel preference, as you can legally use channels 1 through 11 here in the USA.

Oh, and THANKS for the tool! It's nice to have things like this.

It would be nice to understand what each of these tweaks does and the ramifications of each before we start spreading it like wildfire. :) I know people can revert back easily, but understanding what each parameter does and how it helps (or hurts) is wise.

If these were the optimal parameters, then 3DR would have used them, i'm sure! ;) It's not just a channel preference, as you can legally use channels 1 through 11 here in the USA.

Kinda curious what else it's doing as well but the answer of making it comply worldwide does make sense as to why these aren't factory settings. This is part of why I waited a couple weeks to do this one myself, figured I'd see if folks fell out of the sky before throwing mine in harms way. Sorry testers but thanks again, I'm getting great results, while I've only flown my property so far I know my stats flying here well and have pushed well beyond my comfort level before and still have a ton of signal to spare and videos pretty smooth as well.

IMG_1456.PNG IMG_1458.PNG IMG_1458.PNG IMG_1458.PNG IMG_1451.PNG
Note: @Judicator has automated this process too, the Windows program can be downloaded from here: Solo Tweaker

I've just finished this video today, it's relevant to the latest firmware as well. Amongst other things this allows the Solo to use any pair of channels from 1 to 12, whereas before the mod it is limited to using only channels 6 and 11.

This has increased my range in both congested and non-congested Wi-Fi areas. The cost of doing this mod is exactly $0.00.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The software to download to perform this mod is:
A hackable text editor for the 21st Century
Bitvise SSH Client Download

The IP address of the Solo controller is: 10.1.1.1
The IP address of the Solo is: 10.1.1.10

The username is: root
The password is: TjSDBkAu

The changes to make to the hostapd.conf file are:
acs_num_scans=8
#chanlist=6 11
beacon_int=999
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=136
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=1
disassoc_low_ack=0

The command to run to update the MD5 is:
md5sum /etc/hostapd.conf > /etc/hostapd.conf.md5

This test was conducted in the U.S with "hostapd.config and 5db antenna mods"

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian [P13]

These settings go out worldwide in the Solo firmware so 3DR can't be sure the changes are legal everywhere without investing additional time and effort checking. So it's down to the user applying the changes to check the rules for their territory.

Google may well have details on each of these settings, I'll check at some point and see if I can summarise each....

Reactions: Adimuzio513
This mod does that, Solo only uses 2 at once at least in the U.S. as that must be a legal requirement there as some countries allow 4.

If you want to increase the range past this mod try with one or two ALFA antenna, even one can make a noticeable difference. They're relatively cheap too.

Ok, so is there a way to over that and allow it to use 4 at once?

Well not legally, so I didn't include that change. Given the changes already make an improvement for most people and the Alfa are an upgrade path I'd prefer not to mention settings that would clearly be dodgy.

Since people are looking for a description of what the changes do, I threw together a help page after doing a bit of Googling so I can at least sound intelligent.

Solo Tweaker - Help

For anyone curious what the changes are, there you go. If someone who actually knows what they're talking about wants to correct my guessing regarding the effects of each change, by all means, let me know what they actually do and I'll update the page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks