Video - Software mod to increase radio range - hostapd.conf

OK, new version uploaded. A few tweaks in the name of stability, and added the ability to easily change the country code for people who regularly visit other countries.

To be honest, I'm not sure what changing the country code will do, but Ian asked for it, so there you go.

http://www.glowingpixels.com/Solo/SoloTweaker.zip
Great job on the program and much appreciated. Sent you top amount for donation and encourage everyone here to send something as well. The program is well done and took some time to do.
Question on the .bin file DL.. Would it be possible to select the file for DL? When I did the DF download, it brought the file just used during the .conf file modification.

@Jubalr Did your return key go crazy or did you simply love the program so much you repeated yourself? ;):p

Sorry, Every time I posted I got a 'sever error try again later'. I noticed they did an update this morning, not sure if it is the issue. Just got it again with this post! Thanks for pointing it out Ian. Deleted the extras (I hope).

Reactions: Ian [P13]
So this is all you need, besides a Windows PC of course. In other words, You don't need an ssh client or text editor application installed on your pc for this to work?

So this is all you need, besides a Windows PC of course. In other words, You don't need an ssh client or text editor application installed on your pc for this to work?
With the program @Judicator has done then no you don't need the software to do this manually.

There's no harm getting that software for future mods or being able to get log files other than the most recent.

Posted this originally on Facebook -- might be useful to post here as well.

I would suggest some caution with this mod for those folks flying with 3DR Solo gimbals. I have used this for weeks with no real issues. I installed my gimbal and in doing a bench test in my dining room, I noticed significant video feed pixelation and sometimes disconnects. This was with the iOS app but the pixelation also is quite visible on Android too (Nexus 7 2013).

I reverted the radio config mod on the Solo and Controller and the video glitchiness went away. This is just my observation and it may not apply to all. I thought I would at least put it out there. Some of the tweaks do seem to relate to quality of service for video packets so maybe the gimbal causes video to be processed differently that with the GoPro fixed mount.

I will put the channel mod back eventually since I think it really helps me in my local flying field with congested wifi.

Where are the retrieved log files?
I got this log89.bin (0) bytes
In:
C:\Users\XXXXXXXXX\Solo\Solo Tweaker\Logs\2015-09-01_23-16_08_DataFlash
I'm not sure why you got a zero byte file... I'll try to do some testing tonight and see what I find. I know that it downloaded correctly for me when I last tried it, but maybe I broke something doing the Country Code update.

Reactions: SteveReno
Great job on the program and much appreciated. Sent you top amount for donation and encourage everyone here to send something as well. The program is well done and took some time to do.
Question on the .bin file DL.. Would it be possible to select the file for DL? When I did the DF download, it brought the file just used during the .conf file modification.
The command submitted to the Solo to generate the file does specify that it wants the latest log created. I could look into what other options are available and present a dialog to allow the user to choose between "latest" and whatever other options there are. I just need to figure out what other options exist. If I manage to get some time this evening, I'll check into this along with the DataFlash download zero byte issue.

so I know asking what is the best is a silly question, so let me just ask what is a good companion antenna to add to the file change? dont want to spend 100 bucks, just better than stock

so I know asking what is the best is a silly question, so let me just ask what is a good companion antenna to add to the file change? dont want to spend 100 bucks, just better than stock
You should notice a difference even with the stock antenna.

You can get a bit more distance with a cheap pair of 5db FrSky antenna for example. More distance still with the ALFA antennas which are also inexpensive.

Reactions: Lamda
You should notice a difference even with the stock antenna.

You can get a bit more distance with a cheap pair of 5db FrSky antenna for example. More distance still with the ALFA antennas which are also inexpensive.
I agree with Ian [P13]. The Alfa are pretty much the best value at the moment. Amazon sells the Alfa 2.4Ghz only version for less than $10. Use 2 to get more coverage. They are also reasonably compact and you don't have to baby them much considering their simple construction and plastic housing.

Just make sure you rotate the antenna so that the Alfa print on it faces Solo.

For me and others who have posted pics, this means upside down and angled slightly up. I didn't need to buy an extra patch cable - they screw right onto the controller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks