Video - Software mod to increase radio range - hostapd.conf

Great news on that, yeah I dont want to take it off unless the stock firmware can duplicate the results. This is the only thing I did to mine for range. Perfectly happy might buy antennas if I get some amazon points just to burn them up, but heck I consistently hit my target range of 1500-2000 feet on stock

About updates from 3DR:
As everyone knows by now, last update didn't change radio settings. Not saying that future updates won't, but i was with 3DR tech. support trying to verify my 1 of batteries for replacement "only 3 min. use and it's dead"... But what i found out in the process is, they had me run a command SYSID_SW_MREV in which would completely erase my EEPROM to factory defaults.
After procedure, I checked to see if it reverted our update to the radio, & it didn't.
So it's fool proof, until 3DR pacificly updates radio....

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Do you use wifi analyzer to see what your sololink wifi is doing compared to other networks? Mine always rocks he lest congested channel

Using Airport Utility App on iphone to find all networks/channels. I actually took the Solo out yesterday and found that Channel 11 was working very well. I did find something I hadn't noticed before. It turns out there was a cell tower (hidden beyond some trees) towards the east of my position. When I headed in that direction my signal degraded very fast (literally 100 ft out. Cell tower is probably less than a 1/2 mile away). When I headed West, my signal was still solid after 1500 ft. (No obstacles that I am aware of). I think there is also a radio tower + cell tower at a road checkpoint east of my position. Which might be causing me some issues as well. I think when the solo aircraft is line of site of it, it interferes with my signal. Not sure how it all works but figure those things cause issues. Otherwise, there isn't really any wifi congestion where I'm flying.

ps. Got a hold of a PC so able to use the tweaker app now :) All's good

I was one of the people who noted a drop in video quality with the 1.1.12 software with gimbal when I had the hostapd.conf mod applied. So I took it off and noticed better video.

Today, after I had upgraded to 1.1.15 some time ago, I decided to re-apply the hostapd.conf mod. This time, the video feed was not noticeably degraded and the RSSI values were back to what I was used to with the mod. I checked the channel that Sololink was using and it was not channel 6 or 11. Wifi Analyzer did show there was a significant number of signals on both of these channels.

Also, it may be unrelated, but before the mod in a congested WiFi area, I experienced gimbal "flop" -- tilted to one side and took a few seconds to recover. Flew in the same place today after the mod and no gimbal flop. Could be the controller is sending tilt commands over Sololink and in a poor signal environment, the gimbal gets disconnected momentarily? Flew two batteries and not a single instance where the gimbal was not responsive/level in the air.

I finally got the chance to post. I went out early saturday morning to fly solo with stock ant. And hostapd.conf mod and my distance increase to 1500ft i usually hit 1000ft without. Then flew again with TP-link antenna installed and i hit 5000ft

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-06-07-29-20.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-06-07-29-20.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 86
  • 20150908_210406.jpg
    20150908_210406.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
  • 20150908_210452.jpg
    20150908_210452.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Solo Tweaker doesn’t work in a virtual environment. It immediately stops working; prompting you to quite the app. Attempted on Windows 7 and 10 in a virtual environment. Any suggestions?

Just perform the mod manually, it's really simple anyway, so follow my video.

So I did this the other day and then updated it tonight to the new software, so I had to perform the code work again. the problem, or possibly lack there of, is when I went to change the code in the new updated file, all the previous changes were already there. so did 3DR make the changes themselves, or have I done something wrong? I'm almost 100% sure I was modifying the new code; the time stamp was from tonight, not the other day. Has anyone else tried to modify their code post update?

So I did this the other day and then updated it tonight to the new software, so I had to perform the code work again. the problem, or possibly lack there of, is when I went to change the code in the new updated file, all the previous changes were already there. so did 3DR make the changes themselves, or have I done something wrong? I'm almost 100% sure I was modifying the new code; the time stamp was from tonight, not the other day. Has anyone else tried to modify their code post update?
I think knowing people are updating this file, 3DR are not overwriting unless they have to.

The last firmware update left the changes in tact as well.

I just made the modification today and I had updated the 3DR software a few days ago and it is working as I can see it is using channel 10 (and it would only use 6 or 11 before today). I didn't fly it but I didn't notice any change in my RSSI numbers. I am also using one Alfa antenna and I get an RSSI of -15 sitting right next to the solo and -45 about 50 feet away. Anyone have any ideas? Does this mean I have a different issue than WiFi interference?

you will like it, I keep wifi analyzer on my device right next to the solo app and hover. have been checking wifi each time before I fly, truth is no need every time I have checked the mod has chosen the least busy channel, and range is perfect for me 1500-2000 easy with stock antenna

Tomorrow arrives my gimbal. I have to make all new updates to make it work. After that, do I have to re-make the mod to take effect again?

Riddle me this.if your solo is picking its channel on startup because you did the software mod. My tablet doesn't find solo link until the controller is started even if solo is powered on first. Eg controller scans, picks, sets the channel. AND you have a panel 1 or 2 or fpvlr antenna on. :/

Does it matter where you are pointing your controller when you boot it up?

I'd be thinking for the least interference auto channel choice, you'd want it pointing in the direction you are flying on boot? I often have the controller on the ground pointing wherever whilst I put on the sunhood, props on solo, boot tablet Etc.

This may be even further or less true with diversity / single panel antenna or higher powered card mod.

Is there a cheap light way to attach a promiscuous mode logger to solo? I could fly it where I plan to, then force a channel based on least used channel in the direction I'm going ?

Or useless as its all about keeping the controller in the most free space

One side effect of gain antennas is that they are directional on receive as well as transmit.

So it could affect the choice of channel on startup, depending of signals seen during the scan.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
That's a fair assumption @Rich so people with directional antenna are likely best off powering on the controller pointing in the intended direction of flight.

I used the solo tweaker last night and made a test flight this morning. The flight path to test the range was the same before and after the update. I'm also flying in an area 30 miles from civilization without any wifi conflicts. My range before the host file was 1800', today I made it 1.2 Miles before RTH kicked in. My altitude was 180' and I was standing behind a hill that was not helping my signal get the best line of sight. shortly after it started flying back I was able to regain control around 1 mile out. I flew back and then flew a circle around myself a half mile out and never lost signal. This edit definitely works!

My signal showed 71 and signal strength was red around 4000', however it just kept going until 1.2 miles. I can't wait to add the 800 MW wifi cards.

Thanks for posting this update and making the Solo Tweaker. This forum is AWESOME!!!

Just finished up with Gimbal install and Solo Checkout. Updated hostapd.conf with no problems for the GPS mod with the manual method using WinSCP and Atom. Everything was good, until I finally took Solo out to test fly - and can no longer log in to SoloLink as It will not accept my password using my LG G3 phone. I even checked the password stored in edited hostapd.conf file and it it listed as correct on both Controller and Solo. I am Linux and PC savvy 20 years plus. Dang it Jim...

Any suggestions gang?

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44