The Solo Ebay Bargains....

All I am asking is for you guys to stop buying GoPro Hero 4 blacks please... :) I got a 3DR ready to fly but no camera. So go buy them for parts and all, but let me find a camera for a good price, ok? ;-)

All I am asking is for you guys to stop buying GoPro Hero 4 blacks please... :) I got a 3DR ready to fly but no camera. So go buy them for parts and all, but let me find a camera for a good price, ok? ;-)

I...I don't know what you're talking talking about. That shopping cart full of GoPros isn't mine...but DON'T TOUCH IT!!

but let me find a camera for a good price, ok
I got my last two from the GoPro eBay store. Bought their refurbished unit with 1 year factory warranty. Last one was $234 for Hero 4 Black. The price varies, but if you are patient a lot will come up with a low price. Normal is about 325, but as I said, I've seen them and bought them lower from this store. Today 5/23/2017, they are listed at 289. I have had no issues with these factory refurbished GoPros.

Last edited:
I'm a grown man with 3 drones......... what makes you think I have will power?

I just recently purchased 5 parts birds and have two complete Solos+extras shipping today. I may have gone round the bend on this....

Hi I to had a solo with a short, it was a bad pod, unplug all turn on and one at a time plug back in

Unplugged the #1 pod (it had visible damage to the motor housing and felt 'rough') and now I have 5 "parts" Solos that all power up and are waiting for a controller to connect. Next step, try pairing them all with a controller...

I got my last two from the GoPro eBay store. Bought their refurbished unit with 1 year factory warranty. Last one was $234 for Hero 4 Black. The price varies, but if you are patient a lot will come up with a low price. Normal is about 325, but as I said, I've seen them and bought them lower from this store. Today 5/23/2017, they are listed at 289. I have had no issues with these factory refurbished GoPros.
Thanks for the tip. After some hunting I just grabbed a one used from Amazon sold by Adorama. It had Adorama "E" rating which is lightly used. Hope that it comes in full working condition with no issues; but since it is from Adorama and through Amazon I think I am covered if it is all banged up or not working.

I have noticed a number of ebay listings look low but then have outrageous shipping. I think it is just a way for them to pay less fees and still get the same price. Saw a lot of 3 solos for 99 and was excited then saw the $80 shipping.

I have noticed a number of ebay listings look low but then have outrageous shipping. I think it is just a way for them to pay less fees and still get the same price. Saw a lot of 3 solos for 99 and was excited then saw the $80 shipping.
The two I bought were $75 each and that included shipping. The 2nd one just arrived today. Both of these were reported as having calibration errors. The first one I managed to fix in 5 minutes using the "slap" method, the 2nd one is giving me a little more trouble, but I'll get there eventually.

That's a dangerous game, since all it takes is one ebay member reporting egregious shipping fees and eBay will 'look into it'

This $44.99 guy in Texas had free shipping until he dropped the Solo price. I would say he's pushing the envelope.

I got mine for $59.99 and free shipping from a seller in Nebraska. It won't pair but it powers up ok and the pod LEDs seem to sequence ok. It looks new...but it is a rev. A...may just use it for parts.

The two I bought were $75 each and that included shipping. The 2nd one just arrived today. Both of these were reported as having calibration errors. The first one I managed to fix in 5 minutes using the "slap" method, the 2nd one is giving me a little more trouble, but I'll get there eventually.

Finally got round to diagnosis and light repair. Two won't pair and won't factory reset, so it looks like more extensive surgery to get at their SDCards. Of the other three
  1. Just required pairing. Motors spin up, video works.
  2. Required 'unsticking' the external MEMS compass by removing it and...uh...lightly tapping it on a desk...yeah...lightly tapping. Factory reset, pair, calibrate.
  3. Was beeping like a cardiac ward. Set SYSID_SW_MREV to 0 thru Tower, factory reset, pair, level+compass calibrations, everything is like rainbows outta unicorn ass. :p
So, pretty good deal for the price. And I'm betting some new SDCards will fix the other two.

I can stop any time. I swear.
:D

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I picked up one of the untested "Best Buy returns" with controller as well from eBay. Should be coming tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing what I get. Hopefully something works.... or I will at least have a spare controller.

I bought one off those a while back for $75 and the startup sequence was fine but it wouldn't pair to my controller. I got a better fit on the sd card on the im6 board and a dab of glue and it now works fine. I added a spare gimbal and it works as well as any of them I purchased new.

Fourth and final ! Solo arrived from ebay. This was advertised as " will not connect to controller" .
I thought I would roll the dice and purchase from a different seller.

Rev B GPS
Late gimbal control cable ( no sheath)

Sure enough solid orange led on IM6 board.
I previously read everything posted relating to "failure to connect to controller" and " solid orange led on IM6 board"

Removed main board and SD from solo.
Copied image With imageusb and saved for later diagnostics

Installed new SD card with known good image.

Boot , paired, etc.

Solo 4 flies !

Thanks to all the members that have posted their successes (how too) in repairing solo.

Last edited:
Regarding the 2nd spare I bought from Ebay, advertised as calibration error, so when it arrived, I powered it up and attempted the calibration reset sequence number 1 (hold it still and smack it on the ass). This proved unsuccessful. After several more attempts (and a visit from Drone Protection Services) I decided to go with calibration reset sequence number 2 (flipped it upside down and smacked it on the belly). Calibration Successful!

Everything booted up fine, motors all spun up and solo appears to be working. Will give it some testing, but since it was so hard to reset the sensors I might just slap a spare pixhawk in there to be on the safe side.

The one thing I did learn from all of this is that pairing solo's with a controller is problematic enough, but then pairing with the app again can be a pain in the ass. That was honestly the most headache for me in all of this.

Happy Flying everyone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig