Take off problem - crashed twice :(

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has experienced a problem on take off. While pressing the fly button and nothing else on the controller - the solo drone goes up about 5 ft high and 50 feet to the right / backwards and right. The drone has now crashed twice into trees and broke 6 propellers!

Logs have been sent to 3dr.

Sending the log will be the best approach, good job at doing that. They may even send you new props, if they determine that is was the Solo that malfunctioned (which it was). Or even may have to send it in for repair.

1. Did you happen to do the new update, and did it happen after the new update?

2. Has it took off before without a problem or is this your first flights?

3. By any chance you happen to inspect your props before taking off? Notice any bent or slightly damaged props? As a little bit can set it off.

Almost sounds like a bad motor, to where it is not getting up-to full RPM when the rest do.

Sorry I can't help that much, but more information the best. Let us know what 3DR response is to the issue.

The drone was purchased last Friday and I only have 60 min of flying time. This has occurred on every initial start up BUT does not reoccur if I land during a flight and take off again.

Occurs in the firmware from yesterday and previous version. I have the gimbal on all flights.

As a new user, I used the propellers it if the box and did not know enough to inspect.

Unfortunately, while at a photo shoot up north - I only have 50 ft on each side of the drone which isn't enough for this behavior :(

Scott

Agree, sounds like a motor issue. Wait and see what support says.

wondering if anyone has experienced a problem on take off. While pressing the fly button and nothing else on the controller - the solo drone goes up about 5 ft high and 50 feet to the right / backwards and right. The drone has now crashed twice into trees and broke 6 propellers!

It also sounds like your Solo got all disoriented ..did you do a level and compass calibration after the new V1.2 update ..?

I have done level calibration but have not been able to complete a successful compass Calibration.

Wandering in GPS mode, sometimes called the 'toiletbowl' effect is often a sign of needing a compass calibration. Try that and let us know how it works..

Wandering in GPS mode, sometimes called the 'toiletbowl' effect is often a sign of needing a compass calibration. Try that and let us know how it works..

I have done level calibration but have not been able to complete a successful compass Calibration.

I agree Jubair...I don't think he should go any further before he gets that compass calibration done...! I'm just wondering why his having a problem completing that task ?

Well that dosint sound good..?? May I ask why..
was never prompted for it. After the first crash (yesterday), I did another level calibration and tried the compass. I must have tried it about 3 times and each time it would end in an error (solo would make a loud beeping noise) and I had to turn the battery on and off :(

was never prompted for it. After the first crash (yesterday), I did another level calibration and tried the compass. I must have tried it about 3 times and each time it would end in an error (solo would make a loud beeping noise) and I had to turn the battery on and off :(
Really?? Well that's a problem I would think... Without a proper compass calibration it's going to definitely affect the performance of the solo ..

Did you do your compass calibration with a FULL battery?

It also sounds like your Solo got all disoriented ..did you do a level and compass calibration after the new V1.2 update ..?

I had not seen mentioned that those calibrations should be performed after the update. This from 3DR or just general good advice after an update?

calibrations never hurt.
If mine acts weird in anyway it gets calibrated as first step

calibrations never hurt.
If mine acts weird in anyway it gets calibrated as first step
I Tottaly agree @pyrate ..Iv also learned to do it with a completely full battery !! I did it once with a battery with only 4 lights and my Solo would shut down right after the calibration ..I thought that was really Odd?? Then I installed a fully charged fresh battery then did my calibration and it went perfectly fine!
So just a tip to remember:)

Reactions: Maddog
The drone was purchased last Friday and I only have 60 min of flying time. This has occurred on every initial start up BUT does not reoccur if I land during a flight and take off again.

Occurs in the firmware from yesterday and previous version. I have the gimbal on all flights.

As a new user, I used the propellers it if the box and did not know enough to inspect.

Unfortunately, while at a photo shoot up north - I only have 50 ft on each side of the drone which isn't enough for this behavior :(

Scott
Just curious, but did you learn to fly/practice on an inexpensive drone first, or did you go straight to the $$$$ Solo first?

This is my first drone - flying isn't the problem it is actually tryinf to get it in the air.

Update: 3dr have reviewed the logs and stated my controller is bad. Unfortanetley, even though the product is only 7 days old - I have to go through the whole RMA process :(

For testing purposes, i was able to do a successful compass calibration and this completely solved the takeoff issue. However after I landed and replacing the battery - the behavior occurrd again. How often is everyone calibrating the solo?

Scott

This is my first drone - flying isn't the problem it is actually tryinf to get it in the air.

Update: 3dr have reviewed the logs and stated my controller is bad. Unfortanetley, even though the product is only 7 days old - I have to go through the whole RMA process :(

For testing purposes, i was able to do a successful compass calibration and this completely solved the takeoff issue. However after I landed and replacing the battery - the behavior occurrd again. How often is everyone calibrating the solo?

Scott
Heres a thought! That good flight that you had with that one battery...is that the same battery that you did your calibration with ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig