Suggestions, constructive feedback desired.

Reaction score
PSA: this post may be a bit long-winded.

to summarize, i purchased the Solo during the Besy Buy blowout. (in Jan) to this date i have had only 3-4 total flights due to a myriad of problems. I am needing the drone functional and ready to go for Mar 17th weekend.

lets start off by saying that the drone lost connection the last time i was able to take it out, triggered RTH managed to run into the only tall patch of trees for over a half mile and took a tumble.

the fall damaged the gimbal so i connected my new reserve. solo wouldn't recognize the gimbal was installed. I got it replaced, and the replacement wouldn't connect to the controller. 3DR recommended initializing a new paring sequence. the replacement had no video feed to the GP on its maiden flight and 3DR recommended the same re-pairing sequence. The drone wouldn't complete the pair, and the controller wouldn't reset so a second replacement was sent out.

the most recent replacement, STILL has no video feed (at this point and from reading other posts I am assuming it is GP related) I can't get a response from 3DR now other that automated based responses. I've contacted GP, and now 4 days later still can't get my RMA for the GP (they are saying that the hdmi port is for TV only and that there is nothing wrong with the camera)
I purchased the drone 2mo. early so i could become familiar with its settings, modes, and innate overall feel. now i'm down to less than 10 days, with a drone with no feed and a GP that is "fully functional"... and not getting much for assistance. so I am not very familiar with this particular drone, and don't know what is the best direction going forward.

my questions... Is there a better camera choice that will work with the Solo? Any quick tips for familiarization in the event that I "can" get something resolved in time? Any tips that I could have missed regarding the lack of video feed that may resolve the issue without RMA's being neded?
I am running out of time, and without vast amounts of liquid $$ to continue to throw.

thanks for any constructive help in advance.

Last edited:
I doubt I'll be of much help as I'm new to the Solo myself. I would try to eliminate parts, some of which you've already tackled (like the gimbal). I think I'd check the the GP has working HDMI out by hooking it up to something (TV 'fer instance). If that works I'd next take the top off the Solo (there are videos on Youtube about replacing the Solo HDMI cable) and try a feed into the board directly (so as to eliminate the HDMI patch cable that plugs into the gimbal). If that fails then possibly there is damage to the controller board.
On a re-read of your message I'm a little confused as to exactly what has been replaced. Sound like the gimbal multiple times? Or is it the gimbal and the controller board in the Solo? Also, have you a friend with a GP you can borrow to try (more process of elimination)?

Reactions: DOA7791
It is easier for old eyes to read long posts when they are broken into paragraphs. When they are not, I don't.

...Is there a better camera choice that will work with the Solo? Any quick tips for familiarization in the event that I "can" get something resolved in time? Any tips that I could have missed regarding the lack of video feed that may resolve the issue without RMA's being neded?...

The solo works with GP 3+ silver or 4 silver or black. No other camera works in stock gimbal. You have to enter correct settings on GP, check sticky thread on this topic. Just like suggested above, plug GP into tv monitor via hdmi cord to help isolate the problem.

Don't get frustrated and give up too quick. I messed around with mine for a while too. There are a couple of other threads on troubleshooting video feed worth reading. One of my simple mistakes was forgetting to close all other apps on iOS device. Good luck, I hope you get this squared away.

Actually the only cameras with full functionality on the solo are the 3+ black, and both the 4 black and silver. If you have any other gopro it could definitely be the root of your problems. Also what version of gopro firmware are you using? It would be best on 3.x.x.

Where are you located? I'm in Los Angeles, if you're nearby I could help you out and I have multiple cameras and solos we could to determine the issue if the above doesn't fix your problem.

to quickly touch on some replies:
*i fixed the spacing to ease the read.
*tried multiple gimbals
*tried various setting changes per some of the other threads
*don't have an HDMI cable to connect to a TV (unless i am an idiot on that aspect.)
*don't have any spare GP to test
*live in NC, sadly nowhere close to CS :(

Last edited:
to quickly touch on some replies:
*i fixed the spacing to ease the read.
*tried multiple gimbals
*tried various setting changes per some of the other threads
*don't have an HDMI cable to connect to a TV (unless i am an idiot on that aspect.)
*don't have any spare GP to test
*live in NC, sadly nowhere close to CS :(

So I wasn't getting a live feed either. I manually turned off my GP and turned it back on while it is in the gimbal after I have powered on the solo then the controller and connected to the wifi and opened the app.
I know the GP turns on when you power on the Solo. So power the GP down and back on again and see if that helps! Also make sure the GP is updated.

It did the trick for me!
Good luck

working on sourcing another GP to test the HDMI output n and then go from there, I should be able to test that on Sat. (crossing fingers) i need some type of results.

so far the order in which I've powered the devices on hasn't resolved the issues switching the order in which I connect them still has yielded no results.

The only thing I have not been able to try thus far is another GP that will be my goal this weekend. If I can get some results, maybe I can find out the direction I need to go.

GP has been the absolute worst company I've dealt with in a long time. Over a week since have received the initial ticket and no results.

In order to fully help there are still some questions we need answered.

What firmware is the gopro running?

What model gopro are you using?

Is auto shut off turned off on the gopro?

What smartphone/tablet are you using and with what operating system (android 5,android 6)?

Without the gopro is the tablet connected to the controller and is the controller connected to the solo?

Your problem is going to be a single issue and an easy fix once we can eliminate other possible sources.

You could also get the hdmi cable from amazon for like $5 and is something you'll utilize in the future as well. If you are a prime member you can also find one with same-day shopping at no extra cost.

You can also plug the gimbals hdmi cable into gopro with the gopro NOT plugged into the gimbal data port. This will help you determine if one of those two links are broken/malfunctioning. If I could eliminate the more simple problemsthere is the possibility that it had nothing to do with the gimbal or bird and has always been your remote. Is the remote updated as well?

In order to fully help there are still some questions we need answered.

What firmware is the gopro running?

What model gopro are you using?

Is auto shut off turned off on the gopro?

What smartphone/tablet are you using and with what operating system (android 5,android 6)?

Without the gopro is the tablet connected to the controller and is the controller connected to the solo?

Your problem is going to be a single issue and an easy fix once we can eliminate other possible sources.

You could also get the hdmi cable from amazon for like $5 and is something you'll utilize in the future as well. If you are a prime member you can also find one with same-day shopping at no extra cost.

You can also plug the gimbals hdmi cable into gopro with the gopro NOT plugged into the gimbal data port. This will help you determine if one of those two links are broken/malfunctioning. If I could eliminate the more simple problems there is the possibility that it had nothing to do with the gimbal or bird and has always been your remote. Is the remote updated as well?
GP FW 5
GP H4s
auto off is not on
currently using with Galaxy S7e
w/o GP everything works as it should. (with the GP it mostly does, i can still have full control, just no fpv)

GP finally responded a week later, they will only replace the GP after replacing the HDMI cable (smh)... and with being on a time crunch i am just furious.
3DR responded with wanting me to test the GP without the gimbal requiring me to take it back apart. (i'm waiting until i can test with a different GP tomorrow before doing any more hardware swapping).

the only piece to this whole equation that has not changed since it started was the GPh4s. every other piece has changed as much as 2-3 times with the various replacements.

Is both wifi and Bluetooth turned off on the go Pro?
mhmm, unfortunately everything simple has been tested. except another GP. and while i was supposed to be able to test with another GP today, it is looking like further in the week.

this has been one of the biggest messes I've navigated in quite a while. with my deadline approaching rapidly, and no efficient support from either manufacturer... I sadly don't have a good thing to say for either one of them. After this situation is resolved, I will continue to share findings along the way, but neither of these companies will get any business from me again.

Yet, i still continue to support other companies and individuals around these products just to have something better when it is done. :)

i love the network of businesses and individuals around the solo that continue to improve on it.

Eh well it was just a thought, sometimes when you're really smart, you miss the simple stuff. Like that scene in Slingblade when they can't figure out the lawn mower and the one with the lowest iq checks for gas.

If you are in Charlotte, NC on March 18th bring your Solo to our FPV racing Meet, and we will see what we can do. I purchased 4 Solos during the Bestbuy clearance sale. Here is the link to the event. Charlotte FPV Racing League

Reactions: DOA7791 and Chun
Eh well it was just a thought, sometimes when you're really smart, you miss the simple stuff. Like that scene in Slingblade when they can't figure out the lawn mower and the one with the lowest iq checks for gas.
well, im not really smart, just have been battling these problems almost since the day i got it.

If you are in Charlotte, NC on March 18th bring your Solo to our FPV racing Meet, and we will see what we can do. I purchased 4 Solos during the Bestbuy clearance sale. Here is the link to the event. Charlotte FPV Racing League
i unfortunately will be the other direction that weekend. that is the reason for my level of frustration, i'm getting more help here than i am from the companies that created their products. both GoPro, and 3DR are on the short list of never recommend their product to anyone. each company keeps passing the buck and dragging this out. i am now down to the wire for when i need to hav this functional, and barring a miracle it isn't going to happen.

i unfortunately will be the other direction that weekend. that is the reason for my level of frustration, i'm getting more help here than i am from the companies that created their products. both GoPro, and 3DR are on the short list of never recommend their product to anyone. each company keeps passing the buck and dragging this out. i am now down to the wire for when i need to hav this functional, and barring a miracle it isn't going to happen.

Roll back that gopro firmware to 3.x.x some people lose functionality with the new update, others just lose auto on. It appears that you may be a victim of the 5 firmware. I believe 3drpilots and 3dr have a guide to change the firmware I'll try to find it, it is very fast, simple, and usually fixes the problem.

Roll back that gopro firmware to 3.x.x some people lose functionality with the new update, others just lose auto on. It appears that you may be a victim of the 5 firmware. I believe 3drpilots and 3dr have a guide to change the firmware I'll try to find it, it is very fast, simple, and usually fixes the problem.
well, problem solved.

tested on another GPh4s works great, the HDMI plug on the Solo gimbal even fits in this one differently, so clearly it is the camera. Don't know current FW on it, haven't checked I figure it works I'm not touching it until after this weekend is over and I can tinker around if I so choose.

Now to battle with GP on replacing the defective one that they say isn't defective.

thanks for all the feedback, replacing the camera was not something i naturally went to 1st off because everything else seemed to work fine.

I can let 3DR off the hook, but their customer service hasn't been great and that they are still on my naughty list for.

Amazing that 3dr even has a modicum of customer service. Honestly it speaks volumes about the company since they exited the consumer market.

Glad to see you are back flying.

Amazing that 3dr even has a modicum of customer service. Honestly it speaks volumes about the company since they exited the consumer market.

Glad to see you are back flying.
hopefully, still have so many tweaks to work on now that it is technically fully functional. I still have to learn Solex, but with the downtime, I have spent nearly all of my surplus getting addons. I still have a long way to go as long as all goes well, it will all come in due time. The upgraded GPS, Alfa antennas, MA props, and Solex should have me at least prepared to go forward correctly. Now to just get familiar with it all

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig