Stable video in windy conditions?

So I opened up Solo and double checked my gimbal install and re calibrated level and compass. Went back out to fly, this time in 6-8 mph winds, and all video shot with Solo is still shaky and unusable. Duplicated all of my smart shots with my Phantom 3 standard and everything was rock solid on the Phantom. So apparently it was never the wind conditions in the first place. Looks like my Solo is bad. I have a trouble ticket submitted with flight logs but I have to say it's getting a little tiresome trying to get a Solo to just simply work.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
So I opened up Solo and double checked my gimbal install and re calibrated level and compass. Went back out to fly, this time in 6-8 mph winds, and all video shot with Solo is still shaky and unusable. Duplicated all of my smart shots with my Phantom 3 standard and everything was rock solid on the Phantom. So apparently it was never the wind conditions in the first place. Looks like my Solo is bad. I have a trouble ticket submitted with flight logs but I have to say it's getting a little tiresome trying to get a Solo to just simply work.
To be fair I've never seen anyone that owns a Solo with vibration free video, except for maybe the marketing team at 3DR that do all the Solo commercials. I my self grow tired trying to figure out ways for the video quality to at least match a Phantom 3.

nice video. is the playback at full speed? or were you just flying really slow? Just curious. As for all the other comments about the wind and shaky video, I can only say that the Solo seems to outshine my Iris is all cases.
I have the speed settings for Solo at slow on the app. The video is playing at full speed.

I've had good luck in strong winds when I fly smoothly. Rapid ascent is a problem in choppy air. First scenes had some turbulence. The rest was pretty good ...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Very nice- did you add the bird?

Here are the videos to show the comparison between Solo and a Phantom 3 Standard. Almost identical flight path in identical conditions. The Solo shot has a gimbal tilt but otherwise it's the same flight. The results speak for themselves. At least for now the P3S is far more stable than the Solo. And I have to say the Phantom camera is also superior to the GoPro. Unless 3DR can get this figured out the Solo will be unusable for any professional purpose. This is really disappointing! :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Projeffrey11
I've had good luck in strong winds when I fly smoothly. Rapid ascent is a problem in choppy air. First scenes had some turbulence. The rest was pretty good ...
I like what you did with this video but there is quite a bit of shake in it. Nice framing though. And of course the bird

...This video contains content from INgrooves, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
...This video contains content from INgrooves, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
I just replaced the Phantom footage link to video with no music. Here it is

Has anyone had luck getting smooth, stable video flying Solo in windy conditions?

Jon,

I thought about this while installing the gimbal on my Solo. I see someone just mentioned it in a recent thread. I have to wonder if having the isolators for the gimbal on the inside of the bird is having some effect on the fluidity of the gimbal?

On most of the other birds I've seen the gimbal is basically floating on the outside of the bird. On the Solo it's more of a rigid base. Add to that the possibility of things touching the base and isolators in the crammed cavity of the Solo.

Someone apparently has reversed the isolators so they are on the outside of the bird but haven't posted results. The next time I have to open my bird up I might take a look at giving that a try.

Jerry

I just replaced the Phantom footage link to video with no music. Here it is
Sorry, I should have just said it was the Solo video that was blocked...thanks for the effort.
Someone apparently has reversed the isolators so they are on the outside of the bird but haven't posted results. The next time I have to open my bird up I might take a look at giving that a try.
Reversing the setup is much more than simply removing and reorienting the layout, regarding compression versus tension. The rubber isolator balls actually have a designated load rating, for their designed orientation. I've been unable to get technical info for any isolators available, other than load rating. And I have to assume that most isolators were designed with tension as the criteria, as that is the default orientation. Like metal springs, their designed for a purpose.

Not trying to stop your discovery. Just sharing in what I've learned so far.

Sorry, I should have just said it was the Solo video that was blocked...thanks for the effort.
DOH! I'll repost that without music too when I get a chance. But long story short - Solo=shaky, Phantom=smooth

Not trying to stop your discovery. Just sharing in what I've learned so far.

Rich,

I'd can't take credit, it was someone else's idea. I wouldn't have a clue regarding the tension or compression. In this world, I'm more of just a handyman. Just try it and see if it works. You guys are a bit more educated than me. That's why I'm on this forum, I'm trying to learn from you guys. Thanks for the info.

Jerry

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-vibration-damping/Bulb Damper + Ear Plug .05G Ultra Low Vibration Mount
  1. Robert Lefebvre developed this extremely high performance mount which actually performed way better than expectations.
  2. It consists of a mounting plate with a 100g soft rubber bulb type “gimbal” damper at each corner and a half a urethane foam earplug placed inside each one.
  3. Gimbal bulb type dampers themselves can work in tension or compression.
  4. The earplugs provide an additional damping medium with a different frequency damping range than the bulb dampers by themselves.
  5. The ear plugs also stiffen the bulb mounts up a bit preventing excessive free motion being caused by normal flight maneuvers.
  6. This was successful at damping a Flamewheel clone with flexible arms and over size 12″ propellers into the .05 G range.
Just a thought.

Reactions: J R
Rich,

I'd can't take credit, it was someone else's idea. I wouldn't have a clue regarding the tension or compression. In this world, I'm more of just a handyman. Just try it and see if it works. You guys are a bit more educated than me. That's why I'm on this forum, I'm trying to learn from you guys. Thanks for the info.

Jerry
Jerry, if you only knew...I'm not much more than a handyman myself. A garage engineer at best...We're all learning.

common-Vibration Damping | Copter
  1. Robert Lefebvre developed this extremely high performance mount which actually performed way better than expectations.
  2. It consists of a mounting plate with a 100g soft rubber bulb type “gimbal” damper at each corner and a half a urethane foam earplug placed inside each one.
  3. Gimbal bulb type dampers themselves can work in tension or compression.
  4. The earplugs provide an additional damping medium with a different frequency damping range than the bulb dampers by themselves.
  5. The ear plugs also stiffen the bulb mounts up a bit preventing excessive free motion being caused by normal flight maneuvers.
  6. This was successful at damping a Flamewheel clone with flexible arms and over size 12″ propellers into the .05 G range.
Just a thought.
Thanks for the link, I had read it previously and still worth another read. The reason I discounted the article is that they were dealing with isolating the Flight Control Boards. Now I know it pretty much the same theory - dampen vibration.

I just bought an assortment of ear plugs this weekend to try out. Weather was too crappy to test all of my adaptions to compare results. Working on pre-compressing the isolators using rubber bands. Trial and error effort. I don't believe rubber bands are any solution here but it has been interesting in how they effect the gimbal. I do like the ear plug solution and am eager to test.

In the end it could be that the type of camera just can't perform to what I expect. Rolling shutter just is not forgiving at slower frame rates.

True, the GoPro really shines in up close up video. I don't think it was ever intended for all the things people are using it for.

True, the GoPro really shines in up close up video. I don't think it was ever intended for all the things people are using it for.
I disagree, it's been the default camera platform on MR for several reason. GP videos have always been superior to anything else I've seen at this level. Even against integrated cameras from others.

Once GP control becomes a reality on the Solo, I think we'll see improved results overall. Stay tuned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44