Stable video in windy conditions?

Ok, so I uninstalled and re-installed my gimbal for the 4th time. Here's what I did differently. (see pics) I twisted a tight loop into the data cable to take up slack and keep it isolated from the shell wall. I partially followed some ideas that I got from RichWest regarding reshaping the hdmi cable. I didn't use heat, I just identified where the 4 corners (rubber dampers are) and put right angle turns into it by bending it around a screwdriver. This seems to have helped it fall into place around the dampers instead of touching them. I just hope that the cable is sturdy enough that I didn't damage it by bending it. I also twist tied the hdmi to other wires in the right side of Solo to keep the hdmi elevated off of the gimbal board and away from the front of the shell. So that's about all I've got. If this doesn't work I might need to throw in the towel. But of course now that I'm done it's raining. Maybe tomorrow.

So what's the launch protocol now? Calibrate compass and launch facing north with a rabbit's foot in my pocket and looking at the moon over my right shoulder while throwing salt over the left?

View attachment 1689 View attachment 1690 View attachment 1691 View attachment 1692 View attachment 1689 View attachment 1690 View attachment 1691 View attachment 1692 View attachment 1689 View attachment 1690 View attachment 1691 View attachment 1692
Did this make a difference in the micro vibrations?

Here is some very stable video I shot a few weeks ago, notice the trees and bushes moving. Winds were 12-15mph with gust to 25mph

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What
Here is some very stable video I shot a few weeks ago, notice the trees and bushes moving. Winds were 12-15mph with gust to 25mph
Is it me, my computer or Vimeo; there appears a ticking while orbiting at certain angles to the apparent wind direction. The video appears stable regarding vibration, but is it the bird that is stable or is the video stabilized in post?

No post anything done to the file, opened and put the files together in iMovie and saved out as 1080

What

Is it me, my computer or Vimeo; there appears a ticking while orbiting at certain angles to the apparent wind direction. The video appears stable regarding vibration, but is it the bird that is stable or is the video stabilized in post?
I saw it too.. Looks like the video "jumps" forward a few frames periodically while orbiting. Very good otherwise.

Will I'm interested to know, all in good time. :)
No bueno! :( Still shaky. I think I have identified the problem as a bad motor. See my post in the "Are drones like coffee shops?" thread. I think it's time for an RMA

Oh, and I missed part of your post. I think you meant that I would fix it before delivering. Most of my clients will have a media manager on set who is importing video from the cards of all cameras on set. Most of the time operators never have access to the footage themselves. It is all collected by the end of the day and delivered straight to the editor. So if I was shooting for my personal use, yes I could stabilize. But the normal procedure is that I turn over the SOOC footage and leave with formatted cards.
I certainly understand where you are coming from Jon, but I guess my point is that once you turn over the footage, they aren't going to use it raw. They will always post process, and getting the vibes out is quick and easy, especially if you got the shot the others couldn't. Here is a video that when I saw it I immediately thought of your situation..

I certainly understand where you are coming from Jon, but I guess my point is that once you turn over the footage, they aren't going to use it raw. They will always post process, and getting the vibes out is quick and easy, especially if you got the shot the others couldn't. Here is a video that when I saw it I immediately thought of your situation..
That's a pretty sweet video. And yeah, I get your point. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from too though. Even if the client is going to stabilize as part of their SOP I just want to try to give them the best video out of camera that I can. BTW I "think" that I have identified a bad motor through Mission Planner motor testing and a vibration monitoring app. I hope I'm on my way to no vibration! Maybe a motor swap, maybe an RMA. Not sure which yet.

I can't remember, is your Solo vibe-free or do you have some micro vibes too?

That's a pretty sweet video. And yeah, I get your point. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from too though. Even if the client is going to stabilize as part of their SOP I just want to try to give them the best video out of camera that I can. BTW I "think" that I have identified a bad motor through Mission Planner motor testing and a vibration monitoring app. I hope I'm on my way to no vibration! Maybe a motor swap, maybe an RMA. Not sure which yet.

I can't remember, is your Solo vibe-free or do you have some micro vibes too?
Hi Jon, I just posted this test with Graupner props. No post stabilization of course. I think the Graupners are slightly smoother. What do you think?

I think you're right. I haven't heard of those so I'll have to look them up. I see a little vibration in both but it seems less with the Graupners. I would definitely feel good giving video of that stability to a client. And like you said they will probably take the vibes out. Your shake is way less than mine. I hope I can at least get to where you are.

I think you're right. I haven't heard of those so I'll have to look them up. I see a little vibration in both but it seems less with the Graupners. I would definitely feel good giving video of that stability to a client. And like you said they will probably take the vibes out. Your shake is way less than mine. I hope I can at least get to where you are.
Thanks Jon, I think you may be on to something with that bad motor..No reason your shouldn't fly equal to mine.

It's a bit perplexing, to be sure.
This is raw footage I shot a couple of weeks ago to get a look at the roof of my apartment building. Lots of folks report leaky roofs - so, I offered to check things out pro bono, with a little sightseeing of course.
Standard 1080, 60 fps, not 4K. I've made lots of cuts here and there (actual video is almost 16minutes), but just keep the pertinent stuff. Other than some seriously well-stocked ponds on the roof that our tree frogs apparently use for sporadic bathing, not really much to see.
Props are new and unbalanced. Now... is it just me, or does this seem quite stable?
Heck, maybe it is just me... I dunno.

Your video looks rock solid. You are obviously one of the "lucky ones" like Earl and some others here. From what I have seen those who got lucky are getting awesome results. I wish i could count myself as one of the lucky ones. Oh well. I haven't given up yet. I don't think the design of Solo is inherently bad. But I would say that production is very inconsistent. Speaking of your rock solid video, when you were a kid did your parents ever buy you one of those geodes (I think that's what they are called?) at a roadside shop? They always had one on display that was cut open and filled with beautiful crystals. You paid for yours and they cut it in half. You might get beautiful crystals, but often you got two ugly, hollow half-rocks. It's kinda like that.

With that said, I'm glad you got a good one! Keep posting video so that the rest of us can live vicariously through you until we get our Solos fixed.

Reactions: Maddog
Marich that looks rock solid- I don't think it can get any better!
Nice landing too.

What

Your right, I realized this afternoon I had the encoder settings wrong. New file up, much better

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44