Solo Night Flight Video

CMJ

Reaction score
I decided to try out the GoPro in low light conditions. It was just a simple climb up to 300ft and then pan around in a circle. The settings were on 2.7k/60, I think 24 or 30fps might work better at night. Any pointers for me?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks
Chris

Assuming you are in USA, I thought FAA said night flight now allowed ?
Just asking :)

Dang typo, my bad : I thought FAA said night flight NOT allowed ?

Last edited:
GoPro is not for dark areas, there is too much noise. However you can always set it to lowest ISO, and it will be better in noise but
darker image. Use 30 fps too.

I have not noticed a big difference between 100 and 400 ISO. I curious if he locked the shutter at 1/60 or 1/120 and let the ISO control exposure.

Assuming you are in USA, I thought FAA said night flight now allowed ?
Just asking :)

I would argue that it was dusk, my title is merely a title and not reality. You can still see sunlight to the west:).

Protune/native white/400iso/auto shutter/ I think I had low light mode on too. I did mess with the color in Premier, and the playback speed was set to 200%.

You are allowed to fly until sunset. If you have anti collision lights that buys you an extra 30 minutes until civil twilight I believe. Came out good I thought.

Reactions: twk01
I have not noticed a big difference between 100 and 400 ISO. I curious if he locked the shutter at 1/60 or 1/120 and let the ISO control exposure.

You can get Neat Video it really helps with low light, I don't know what editing software you have but You can get neat video in most pro VES. it makes a big difference, adding a small amount of sharpness with the neat video works good depending on how dark and how much noise, we all know Gopros under the hero 5 is not really good with low light so with 3drsolo this helps. :)

link. Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video

I did and found no such "law". Hence my request for someone to perhaps post a link as I can find no such law.

Just to stir the pot...

Does the new Small UAS Rule (part 107) apply to recreational UAS operations?
Part 107 does not apply to UAS flown strictly for fun (hobby or recreational purposes) as long as these unmanned aircraft are flown in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of P.L. 112-95). Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational UAS operations. The small UAS rule codifies the provisions of section 336 in part 101 of the FAA's regulations, which will prohibit operating a UAS in manner that endangers the safety of the National Airspace System.

Fly for Fun
You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely.

Before you fly outside you must:

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
You must be:

• 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*
* Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon arrival in the United States (online registration serves as a certificate of ownership).

To register, you'll need:

• Email address
  • Credit or Debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

Register UAS that weigh less than 55 lbs. and more than 0.55 lbs. online

Register UAS that weigh more than 55 lbs. by paper

Label your UAS (PDF)

Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

Reactions: msantimanzano
Must ask some one senior flyer, in understanding the law :)

I may be wrong but not sure under recreational rules. Aircraft must be in VLOS. How you do that in the dark is questionable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44