Solo Motor Shaft Replacement

Reaction score
Guys i would like to know if anyones have beeen able to remove the shaft from the motor bell housing ?
if yes how you do it thx

Solo motors are fairly basic brushless outrunners except for custom windings. Axles/shafts are always hard to deal with, but Tower Hobbies (among others) sells various maintenance kits and tools that allow you to perform most all mods and repairs.

Im amaze there's no shaft puller available on the market yet
But hey thx Marich for the link & help it's apreciated

I remember seeing a post, either here on this site, or one of the few facebook groups of someone that documented a motor tear down and rebuild. Maybe try searching a bit?

Im amaze there's no shaft puller available on the market yet

Cheap motors have blind shafts I guess...everything available is for thru shafts, those are easy to remove.

Other than removing the two set screws at the top of the bell, you'd have to pull the shaft out with a tool. I think the shaft is forced fit with splines into a blind hole. Using the cir-clip as a gripping point appears to be the only method. Haven't found a ready made tool either. You could man-handle the shaft out, but it will more than likely damage the blind hole.

Will be curious to see what you find or build to extract the shaft...

Ghetto Puller :)
Hmmm this might work hey ?
Washer on top of the bell and use rivet tool to pull the shaft
Im wondering if it will leave marks on the shaft i guess a quick sanding will takecare of this
The shaft is 3.17mm so 3.2mm should be ok
puller.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWest
Ghetto Puller :)
Hmmm this might work hey ?
LOL... I was thinking collet type puller at first, but thought about the potential for marks. If your replacing the shaft who cares, if re-use then I'd look else where...just me... I'd buy a set of shafts just in case....if you use the rivet gun.

I've got a tool idea, just need a hardware store...tomorrow.

Ho yes that will be also a good way to get it out thx

Last times i service the motors i replace all the bearings top and bottom
with Jap NMB Bearings
And it makes a huge improvements on noises and vibrations
only the shafts have not been replaced

3DR send me a Motor Pod replacement a while ago and brand new out of the box
it's louder and vibrations ares higher

Last edited:
Ho yes that will be also a good way toget it out thx

Last times i service the motors i replace all the bearings top and bottom
with Jap NMB Bearings
And it makes a huge improvements on noises and vibrations
only the shafts have not been replaced

3DR send me a Motor Pod replacement a while ago and brand new out of the box
it's louder and vibrations ares higher
Curious, was it the Black indicated CW motor that you replaced?

Just an alternative approach...shaft puller. You'd need to improvise for what is available to you. The nut is a M10x1.5, Drill out the hex bushing to allow the threaded tube to spin freely. Drill out the cap to the shaft diameter and locktite it to the tube. You should be able to extract the shaft by turning the cap nut with a socket. Good luck!

IMG_20151028_243333_017.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig