Solo in the SNOW!

Really nice Jason, love it.

I have to ask if you have modded your Solo as the footage seems really smooth considering the weather conditions. I can get smooth video on a calm day but not when windy which is 85% where I live.

Thanks,

Jim.

That was cool but, way too short man. At first I thought the beginning was an advertisement for some Christmas shopping crap for Target, and it wasn't, and I was like, okay, that was a bad ass intro.

Very nice, Jason. Welcome to the forum, and I hope we can see more of your stuff. That was very nice to watch. Thanks for posting it.

Hey thanks guys! Ill answer some of your questions. No it was not modded. Im not very knowledgable on that side of things and am just using my drone the way I bought it. I'm an advertising student and a video editor more than a drone flyer, so I do any extra stabilization in post to butter out the shots. Honestly these shots didn't really need it much, but I throw on some warp stabilization in Premiere Pro anyway (no more than 15%). It actually wasn't as windy as it looks. The wind sound is obviously added in, but it seems pretty natural to someone who isn't thinking about the loud buzz that would normally accompany these kind of shots. So the wind wasn't much of a factor, the snow was just so light and dry that I wasn't worried about anything. It would just blow off of my stuff without melting, probably because it was cold enough.
This was shot in Waterton Lakes National Park, which is the Canadian side of Glacier National Park (southern west corner of Alberta.) Im home in Canada till January 6th, then off to New Zealand, and then Thailand after that, so for those asking for more..... well I can definitely promise there will be more!
Feel free to follow my youtube or Facebook pages if you want to see more stuff in the future... I won't be offended.
Security Check Required
Jason Murray Media

Reactions: Maddog and Slawth
I'm curious, what method did you use to land the Solo on that uneven ground? In my experience, anything less then a perfect level and perfectly smooth landing surface usually results in Solo flipping over just after landing.

I'm curious, what method did you use to land the Solo on that uneven ground? In my experience, anything less then a perfect level and perfectly smooth landing surface usually results in Solo flipping over just after landing.
The area where I landed was actually fairly large and flat. I've never had that kind of issue, but I did make sure to land on the flatest spot with no big rocks underneath.

I don't think so. Last I heard, all National Parks in the U.S. are off limits for drones. I believe that was announced right after all the UAV flap began. I would definitely ask before flying, and if a person in authority said it was ok, then I would. I know Yosemite is for sure off limits, after a climber on El Capitan was several thousand feet up, and looked over his shoulder for a strange sound, and found a drone about 50 ft. behind him. I wished they could have caught that a--hole and threw the book at him.

I don't think so. Last I heard, all National Parks in the U.S. are off limits for drones. I believe that was announced right after all the UAV flap began. I would definitely ask before flying, and if a person in authority said it was ok, then I would. I know Yosemite is for sure off limits, after a climber on El Capitan was several thousand feet up, and looked over his shoulder for a strange sound, and found a drone about 50 ft. behind him. I wished they could have caught that a--hole and threw the book at him.

I read the same materials and had the same impression. Until...I was at Lake Mead and found out they have an area inside the park where we can fly model aircraft. That includes drones. Same exception at Red Rock national park. So, if it's happening here in Nevada, California can't be that hard up to where they're not allowing for exceptions at Yosemite, Diablo, Black bear, Golden gate, etc, etc. Just call man. You never know.

This was shot in Waterton Lakes National Park, which is the Canadian side of Glacier National Park (southern west corner of Alberta.) Im home in Canada till January 6th, then off to New Zealand, and then Thailand after that

Wow, can I be your sherpa? I'll haul all your gear. I have mountain and some rock climbing experience. I can fix things pretty well. I'll do anything if I get to go to those places! ;)

Seriously nice video, and awesome location to shoot and live in!

Color me jealous!

Thanks all!
In Canada you technically have to get permission to fly drones in national parks from the park supervisor or office. Waterton happens to be closed in the winter though, the gates are open for anyone to come and go because there are cabins that people stay in, but all the businesses close down and there aren't many parks staff around, so I figured I was ok. The most important thing I have found is just being smart. If you are going to a really popular national park then you shouldn't expect much, but even then, if you are going to an area that is not crowded, less populated, or going at a time when you are less likely to be intrusive or dangerous, then the parks staff are probably going to be ok with you flying. Just talk to them.

There is no harm in asking to fly anywhere where it may be questionable. The worst that can happen is they say no, which is better than being caught flying where you are not supposed to after the fact. I asked a guide here in Ca. if I could fly over the elephant seal colony and get some shots at San Simeon on the coast. Even assuring him I would fly at an altitude as to not disturb them, he said they are instructed to call the authorities if anyone is seen flying a drone there. That was a case where asking first was a very good thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks