Solo gimbal noise/vibration

If you don't mind, when you test it out tonight, try picking up the Solo to twist it around a bit. The idea is to simulate yaw turns and banking side to side. Even if the legs don't show up when the camera is pointed straight ahead, the legs might encroach when you yaw, or if its banking to try to fight the wind.
oops. we posted at the same time... thank you!

OK, now I'm really confused. I DO get the legs in 4K without the gimbal (4 Black with stock lens).... but I have to admit I'm only basing that off the live feed. I haven't bothered to look at footage off the GoPro itself because I'm waiting for the gimbal.

To really test this, I suppose we also need to see what happens with the gimbal when we yaw. It might be fine straight ahead, but the legs might encroach the frame when yawing or even just trying to stay in place during wind.
Mine is live feed also. I could have sworn I saw what you did as well. Maybe the Silver is a different FOV?

Don't know if mine is the same (or a related) problem as the OP reported but I installed the gimbal last night and was just bench testing before flying. The first thing I noticed is that the video feed in the app is constantly pixelated when the Solo and gimbal are on and just sitting there. Sometimes the video is briefly lost and then it comes back. Never had this with the fixed GoPro mount. The second thing is that I am also now hearing motor noise and feel vibrations from the Solo/gimbal while it is powered on and just resting on the table. I did not hear the noise until today but it is quite audible. My packaging was not damaged in anyway when the UPS driver delivered it so I can't blame rough handling. The camera tilt control works ok and I can start and stop recording ok from the controller and app. Just wanted to provide another customer data point. More testing to follow.

So here's the first of a couple terrible demos of my bad gimbal.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: erikgraham
My "legs" demo is being uploaded and I'll post once it's done. I can confirm there are still no legs in the shots when filming in 4k wide except at very extreme/fast pans left. I yawed left and right beyond the capable gimbal angle and still no legs. I always confuse yaw/pitch/roll/pan so I hope I'm making sense.

Similar to my noise that I posted about earlier. Doesn't sound like a cable rubbing somewhere to me.

Reactions: Sampson
My "legs" demo is being uploaded and I'll post once it's done. I can confirm there are still no legs in the shots when filming in 4k wide except at very extreme/fast pans left. I yawed left and right beyond the capable gimbal angle and still no legs. I always confuse yaw/pitch/roll/pan so I hope I'm making sense.
It makes sense. Not to my gimbal yet, but I can't imagine it being any different as the gimbal puts the camera at roughly the same height and depth as the hard mount.

I guess I just read the 1080 M and assumed it was because of legs. Honestly it doesn;t effect me much as I usulaly shoot with the 5.44 lens, but it is good to know I don;t have to and can get a wider shot it I want. Usually not much of a Fish Eye fan, but i can take that out in post.

Yeah I can isolate it audibly and to the touch to the pitch motor axis on the gimbal. I've already tried rerouting the cabling inside.

Similar to my noise that I posted about earlier. Doesn't sound like a cable rubbing somewhere to me.
It's hard to say from the video, as on close inspection mine makes some noise when I am close, but it deffinately doesn't shake the table.

It's hard to say from the video, as on close inspection mine makes some noise when I am close, but it deffinately doesn't shake the table.
Yeah, in my experience you have to really listen and you can hear all gimbals working... This one however requires no close inspection or listening skills to notice it. You will notice it more when I share the gopro's pov... or rather, POH

Reactions: Earldgrayjr

I have a very expensive Professional 3 Axis Gimbal (Freefly Systems Movi M5) so I know, That is messed up, man. Don't let anyone here tell you that is OK. It's not.

I know this is a rough watch but just a quick demo trying to get legs in the shot in 4k wide. The left leg pops in during hard angles and fast paced movements, and the prop arms will also come in during hard forward pitch of the solo. The gimbal was at 90° for this video... And notice the gimbal motor noise. I should have a fairly strong case to replace the gimbal. I just don't want to have to wait until christmas.

I know this is a rough watch but just a quick demo trying to get legs in the shot in 4k wide. The left leg pops in during hard angles and fast paced movements, and the prop arms will also come in during hard forward pitch of the solo. The gimbal was at 90° for this video... And notice the gimbal motor noise. I should have a fairly strong case to replace the gimbal. I just don't want to have to wait until christmas.
Yes, man. The GoPro Fisheye lens is not going to work in 4K at all. No wonder everyone posts their videos here in lower resolution to get around that problem.

Yes, man. The GoPro Fisheye lens is not going to work in 4K at all. No wonder everyone posts their videos here in lower resolution to get around that problem.
I think you could get in some 4k with mellow flying in calm conditions. The angles I had the solo in when the legs showed up were pretty extreme when compared to typical cinematic flight maneuvers. I'm no aerial videography expert nor am I trying to argue the matter, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong though too. We will see with time.

Reactions: Michael Stevenson
The box that it came in was basically in the same condition pictured. I pulled the gimbal box out of that difficult to notice hole circled in red. I also noticed it has listed on the package "drone and accessories". You would think you wouldn't want that written for everyone to see given the current sensitive nature of drones and the high dollar value associated with them. Anyhow, I'm done barfing on the forum for the day. Thanks all for your input!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 39
I think you could get in some 4k with mellow flying in calm conditions. The angles I had the solo in when the legs showed up were pretty extreme when compared to typical cinematic flight maneuvers. I'm no aerial videography expert nor am I trying to argue the matter, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong though too. We will see with time.
My experience with Gimbals is they should not make that noise. It is an absolute sign of the motors not being tuned correctly. I originally bought the DJI Ronin and it made the same noise and would vibrate. I returned it and bought the freely Movi. It did not make that noise and is as smooth as silk.

Reactions: Sampson
The box that it came in was basically in the same condition pictured. I pulled the gimbal box out of that difficult to notice hole circled in red. I also noticed it has listed on the package "drone and accessories". You would think you wouldn't want that written for everyone to see given the current sensitive nature of drones and the high dollar value associated with them. Anyhow, I'm done barfing on the forum for the day. Thanks all for your input!
UPS Strikes again! The worst carrier in the biz. Everything goes to their Worldport in Kentucky and that sorting machine smashes all of the boxes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks