Solo gimbal noise/vibration

Out of the (undamaged) box, my gimbal has a bad vibration when sitting on a level surface and not moving as well. When I move the Solo (exercising the gimbal) the vibration ceases. In flight, the gimbal randomly rolls left to full deflection and the red gimbal indicator illuminates. The gimbal then resets to centered at approximately a 45° tilt angle (regardless of the angle I had it at). I also have the degraded video feed - pixellated and choppy - that I didn't have with the hard mount (Hero4 Silver).
In the world of professional Gimbals that is known as a motor tuning error. Is there Gimbal motor tuning with graphs with 3DR software? No? It is obvious I have no idea about what I'm talking about. More Hot Glue.

Just posting to give an update to my last post. I took the gimbal with the slight vibrations out to take some video. It worked reasonably well but I wasn't happy to keep it.

3DR was having problems with their systems when they responded on Sep 21st. They issued me an RMA right away after asking for my serial numbers. I had included a video showing the vibrations at certain pitch angles.

Because of the system issues they were having, they couldn't issue me a correct waybill to take care of the shipping of the gimbal back to California. They advised I should pay for it and they would reimburse me.

Well we finally got some good weather and I was a little bummed out that I would have to send the gimbal off, wait for cross border shipping times and lose out on shooting, so I kept it over the weekend.

To my surprise, this week I got a shipping notice. Thought maybe it was my leg extenders - even if they weren't supposed to have tracking numbers? Well turns out 3DR sent out a new gimbal replacement for me right away direct from China. Didn't even wait for the gimped gimbal or charge me extra. Installed it today and it works perfect out of the box. No vibrating, no fuss.

Others have posted bad experiences, but 3DR really came through for me, despite the delays and issues. I'm really liking the product now that we have access to the gimbal. For sure, we're still missing some features, but I feel they are making updates rapidly enough for my use case.

Reactions: RichWest and Del
I have small vibrations when the gimbal is almost at zero degrees or looking down, here is no noise, just vibrations. I have re-install the gimbal a few times, it has the necessary space between motor and board. I have level the solo but has not calibrated compass. any ideas as to what might be happening? I doubt compass calibration will produce gimbal vibrations so there must be something else going on. I am going nuts with this thing.

Thank You

I have small vibrations when the gimbal is almost at zero degrees or looking down, here is no noise, just vibrations. I have re-install the gimbal a few times, it has the necessary space between motor and board. I have level the solo but has not calibrated compass. any ideas as to what might be happening? I doubt compass calibration will produce gimbal vibrations so there must be something else going on. I am going nuts with this thing.

Thank You
I would take a small video of it and put in a ticket. My gimbal doesn't have any vibrations at any angle now that I've swapped mine.

I also swapped mine and received the brand new today, install, triple check everything and has small vibrations, the one I tried before this one had a lot of vibrations and noise.

I don't know what else to do so I might put in a ticket, can I do it even if my solo and gimbal were not bought directly from 3DR?

I would take a small video of it and put in a ticket. My gimbal doesn't have any vibrations at any angle now that I've swapped mine.

did you anything special to your new one or just installed it and it works perfectly? you have zero vibrations, not even very small? so definately mine has something, I didn't know if they were meant to vibrate a little.

did you anything special to your new one or just installed it and it works perfectly? you have zero vibrations, not even very small? so definately mine has something, I didn't know if they were meant to vibrate a little.
I had checked all my cable routing in the first install so I just plugged the new one in as is and everything started working after Solo initialized it for the first time.

Ok thank You. I did route the cables as per the instructions of the video of the other member in the previous page but still vibrations are there.

I had checked all my cable routing in the first install so I just plugged the new one in as is and everything started working after Solo initialized it for the first time.

Ok thank You. I did route the cables as per the instructions of the video of the other member in the previous page but still vibrations are there.
I don't think it would be an issue to document what you see (video and audio of the vibration) and ask 3DR to check it out. Also, if it's very minor vibration, why not take it out for a spin and look at the video you are getting? Change pitch and fly slow as well as more aggressively and see if you can see issues with the recorded video. Doesn't hurt, and you'll know of it really is an issue.

Good idea, you are correct. i will take it for a spin and if video is not affected I might live with it with the small vibration, only thing is I know it should not be there tbough.

I don't think it would be an issue to document what you see (video and audio of the vibration) and ask 3DR to check it out. Also, if it's very minor vibration, why not take it out for a spin and look at the video you are getting? Change pitch and fly slow as well as more aggressively and see if you can see issues with the recorded video. Doesn't hurt, and you'll know of it really is an issue.

Just for the record I was having major vibrations and a really bad humming noise with the gimbal between 45 and 0 degrees. Did the cable re route as listed a couple pages ago (looks intimidating due to disassembly but is actually very easy), updated software, and calibrated level and it is now smooth as butter and silent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44