Solo + Gimbal + Gopro

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have some trouble with the video stream of my GoPro Hero4 silver.

I attached it to the gimbal but I didn't get any stream even though there was a red light in front and green at the back.

Then I figured I needed to turn the gopro on (I thought that the solo would do that since it's plugged in). It worked, but I could only save a feed to my iphone, which has almost no room left.

So here are the questions

How do you save video to the Gopro's SD card? How do you take a picture?
Moreover, let me know if this process is the right one:

1- Put GoPro (turned off) in Gimbal
2- Turn solo on
3- Turn controller on
4- Turn Gopro on
5- Turn app on

This is probably not right because step 4 doesn't seem easy (the gopro moves in the gimbal). Maybe I should turn gopro on, and start recording BEFORE putting it in the gimbal?

Thanks!
Guillaume

Last edited:
Welcome!

Try this-
1. Make sure GoPro, Solo, Solo apps are all up to date.
2. Put GoPro in gimbal.
3. Turn controller on.
4. Connect iPhone to Solo wifi.
5. Start Solo app.
6. Turn GoPro on.
7. Turn Solo on.

You can now start recording on the GoPro by either pressing the red "record" button on the Solo app or pushing in on the gimbal paddle.

This it what works for my H4S. I don't think it really matters if you turn Solo on before or after the controller. Turning the GoPro on before Solo always works.
The GoPro automatically records to its' sd card.

If you haven't already, download & read the GoPro manual from their website and the latest Solo manual from the 3DR website.

They will explain all of this better than I can.

Alright so I did what you did but I don't have the red recording button so not sure how to start recording.
I wasn't sure what you meant by "push the record button on the gimbal paddle"

Here is a screenshot of what I see on my iphone:

Dropbox - 2016-01-15 11.03.01.png

Update: somehow it now works ... didn't change anything except fully charge my gopro (but it lasted 2 minutes: it was almost full)

Guillaume,
I too have had intermittent experience with the "grey" button. I read on here somewhere to turn on the GP first. Then the flight battery. Then the controller. Then the app.

I have 4 flight batteries, and since adopting the "GP first" protocol, I always get the red "ready to record" button on my iPad. For subsequent batteries, I found I can leave the controller and app on and ready for signal from SOLO. I obviously have to keep a battery in the GP for this to work, but I think I need to anyway for the time and date to stay current.

When I shut off a drained flight battery, the GP turns off, and after changing to a fresh flight battery, I simply press the GP on, set solo down, and power up the bird.

This has worked for me the last 20 +/- flights.

Hope this helps.

Alright so I did what you did but I don't have the red recording button so not sure how to start recording.
I wasn't sure what you meant by "push the record button on the gimbal paddle"

Here is a screenshot of what I see on my iphone:

Dropbox - 2016-01-15 11.03.01.png
The record button is on the right side of the screen with a ring around it. I was referring also to the gimbal paddle on the front of the left side of the controller. Moving it up/down moves the gimbal up/down, but if you push it inward, it will start/stop recording on the GoPro.

Glad it's working now- hopefully you won't have any more problems.

Reactions: Diving Santa
Guillaume,
I too have had intermittent experience with the "grey" button. I read on here somewhere to turn on the GP first. Then the flight battery. Then the controller. Then the app.

I have 4 flight batteries, and since adopting the "GP first" protocol, I always get the red "ready to record" button on my iPad. For subsequent batteries, I found I can leave the controller and app on and ready for signal from SOLO. I obviously have to keep a battery in the GP for this to work, but I think I need to anyway for the time and date to stay current.

When I shut off a drained flight battery, the GP turns off, and after changing to a fresh flight battery, I simply press the GP on, set solo down, and power up the bird.

This has worked for me the last 20 +/- flights.

Hope this helps.
That's also how I swap batteries- no need to power down the controller or app on your phone/tablet!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44