Solo down

Reaction score
Pilot error, Solo submerged in swimming pool for about 10 seconds. What are steps to follow? So far I have taken it apart, less removing the motor pods. I shop vacuumed the water from all parts and computer board, let sit in sun for a few hours. Please advise. I know there are a lot posts on this type matter, would appreciate any advice and renewed experience.
Thanks.

it might be dead. but before you even attempt to check make sure the mainboard, gps, motor pods and gimbal are completely dry before even attempting to power up. it will take a few days or you can try the rice thing.

Reactions: Eric Sheehan
I have read several Solo's taking a dip, & the one's that were retrieved survived. I would wait (5-6) days before i would power up.
The battery? I think you may need to use another. IC board in battery, hard to dry out?
@Pedals2Paddles He says "Pilot Error" caused the dip.
Good luck

Disassembled Solo and parts are placed in a closed Rubbermaid crate with airBoss dehumidifier drying crystals package as quoted above.

GoPro is lens down, embedded in instant rice within a sealed Tupperware container.

All on solitary confinement until April 2.

Will report back.

I dropped a phone in salt water once and was told to follow these steps.
Time is important here.
1. Remove battery and rinse with any non salt water you can get immediately, tap water, bottled water, diet soda or similar. To rinse out as much salt water as possible.
2. Take apart what is possible to take apart.
3.Put everything in fresh water, to dilute the salt that is left.
4. Put everything in high concentrated ethanol, methanol, Isopropanol or similar. It should be pure alcohol > 95%, higher is better. This will decrease the amount of water and the alcohol will dry fast compared to the water. Put it into a bath or rinse it with the alcohol a couple of times. Let i dry for a while.
5. Put the stuff in the owen and set the heat to around +50 C to speed up the drying.

The phone is still kicking :)

Pilot error, Solo submerged in swimming pool for about 10 seconds. What are steps to follow? So far I have taken it apart, less removing the motor pods. I shop vacuumed the water from all parts and computer board, let sit in sun for a few hours. Please advise. I know there are a lot posts on this type matter, would appreciate any advice and renewed experience.
Thanks.

I crashed my solo into a swimming pool once. I let it dry for 5 days on its own, had to replace 2 motor pods and battery. All was perfect after that. The best test you can do is boot up solo without motor pods installed and see if it goes through its normal start up checks. If it works then begin to install each motor pod 1 by 1 and see if any of them give you an error. By error I mean it won't make any normal boot up tones and you'll just hear a motor pods "click"

Good luck!

3DR support response:
"Unit is a total loss" offered no advice to dry, test, or anything.

I'll stay the course I'm on, but expected more from them in terms of potential triage or best practices.

3DR support response:

I'll stay the course I'm on, but expected more from them in terms of potential triage or best practices.

Why expect more than that? It is standard practice to consider wet consumer electronics dead, in any industry. And these things have high-voltage LiPo batteries attached, giving you advice would be a liability. Solo isn't sealed in any way, 10 seconds submerged means water got everywhere. If it survives, it's just luck. Sorry.

Reactions: Solo Keith
3DR support response:

Yes, what Cody said. I do not believe any electronics manufacturer will want to service any device that goes for a dip. Too much liability on their end. With that said.... the rice method works.

unpowered electronics are generally ok if they get wet. I have hand washed several DIY projects with water and isopropyl to remove the solder flux. Just let it dry. A low temp oven can help dry, just watch the plastic parts.

How'd I miss this post? Something very similar happened to me with a Phantom 2 instead of a Solo.
I was flying along the outskirts of a friend's house when Wile E. Coyote showed up.
Now please don't laugh, it'll hurt my feelings and I'm verry fragile. I was hovering just above a fish pond, one of those artificial mini-lakes with goldfish bigger than Jaws communing with each other. Off to my left stood a massive black walnut tree, its branches directly overhead - I'd kind of slid sideways under them to reach the pond. There were a half-dozen absolutely huge crows hanging out among the leaves above, the people-friendly kind that don't skedaddle unless you approach them very closely.
Well, no biggie, right? They were at least fifteen feet above me! Plenty of room.
Well... in the side yard my buddies kids were hitting a baseball around. Troy hit a line-drive directly at Mike's nose. Instead of catching it or ducking like a normal person, he shoved his glove in front of his face and sorta waved it around like a magician casting a spell. Maybe he was wishing the ball away, I dunno.
Instead of vanishing with a pop, it connected with the back of the glove and bounced off at an angle, zooming away, just missing a big kitchen window but successfully skimming across Mike's 9 year old sister's elbow.
She screamed so loud I figured every zombie in The Walking Dead would show up, but nope - the only things bothered by the racket were the crows.
They immediately hauled a**. They were big and clumsy. They moved branches around. Heavy branches. Most of which held huge black walnuts.
As the birds went up the walnuts came down, big green spheres I'd never even noticed above me. I'd guesstimate there were between 15 and 20. I saw them but nope! Zero time!
Evil, despicable birdies, I tellya, deethpicable!
Only one green bomb found its mark, clobbering the Phantom dead center. It seemed to sigh, canted severely as the walnut continued on to splash down, then simply followed its assailant into the pond. Big splash.
Now, I could move! Mindful of the mini-sharks (I really do think gigantic goldfish mutants are creepy), I fished my quad out.
Aside from being wet, only a singe prop had been broken. No other damage I could see, either. When I got home I broke it down into as many pieces as possible and popped them into my food dehydrators I use for beef jerky and the like. Lowest heat setting, barely warm but with fan-driven air circulation. Figured that was the best I could do.
Things dried perfectly! Put back together though, they didn't work. Nothing. Not a light, buzz, beep - I tried everything but my Phantom was permanently dead.
The upside was I now had an excuse to get the Phantom 3.
Moral:
Never fly your drone around kids named Mike.

In reference to original post:

GoPro appears DOA after six days in rice. I can hear a buzzing noise when I put in a battery, but it does not boot.

Victim Solo battery, DOA.

Solo, initial assessment says 3 motor pods down. Solo will boot with only #4 installed.

GPS and wireless connected with no problem.

Gimbal, appears unscathed. I put in another GoPro, fires up, instant video pass through. Responsive to stick controls.

Reactions: JDeMircift
In reference to original post:

GoPro appears DOA after six days in rice. I can hear a buzzing noise when I put in a battery, but it does not boot.

Victim Solo battery, DOA.

Solo, initial assessment says 3 motor pods down. Solo will boot with only #4 installed.

GPS and wireless connected with no problem.

Gimbal, appears unscathed. I put in another GoPro, fires up, instant video pass through. Responsive to stick controls.

Give the GoPro more time! My GoPro came back fully functional 2 weeks later!

Glad to hear solo survived!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks