Solo Disappearance - Now RECOVERED

That limb is thicker than it looks. 2-3" near the drone, 5-6" halfway down the picture.

BTW, fixed the photos on my post.
Well, at least you know where it is and you'll get it eventually.

get you a professional tree climber and let him get it.
you are not quilified or experenced to do this.
people get hurt real bad falling out of trees.
good luck.
be safe.

get you a professional tree climber and let him get it.
you are not quilified or experenced to do this.
people get hurt real bad falling out of trees.
good luck.
be safe.

I can guarantee you that I will not be doing so personally. I know my limits. :)

some people get stupid and think they can do domthing way outof the nexperience and ability.
you know what happens than.
i have had many a free flight model land in trees.
time for the pros.

The Solo has been found. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's in probably the worst possible spot. A tree limb - about 40 feet up and 25-30 feet out, hanging over the river. I went out with a few friends today and surveyed the situation, and it's pretty bleak. Even if we could shake it out of the tree, it's a better than not chance based on the position that it would fall right into the river. And the limb its on goes way out, at almost a right angle at times, but it's narrow, maybe 4-5 inches thick, and hanging out over the river bank making a fairly long drop.

The positioning actually explains a fair amount - this limb is somewhat isolated, but between it and the view from the bridge is another limb blocking the view. It wasn't until we were able to get to the trunk of the tree itself and look from that angle out and towards the river that the Solo was viewable.

Of course it just started storming - first rain since the incident.

View attachment 577

It's sort of hard to tell from this photo, but most of the tree seen to the left of the arrow point below is actually not the tree in question but a larger tree further down the river. The arrow points roughly to where the Solo is behind.

View attachment 579
Someone in the tree shaking it. Salmon net and a very long pole in a boat?

The Solo has been found. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's in probably the worst possible spot. A tree limb - about 40 feet up and 25-30 feet out, hanging over the river. I went out with a few friends today and surveyed the situation, and it's pretty bleak. Even if we could shake it out of the tree, it's a better than not chance based on the position that it would fall right into the river. And the limb its on goes way out, at almost a right angle at times, but it's narrow, maybe 4-5 inches thick, and hanging out over the river bank making a fairly long drop.

The positioning actually explains a fair amount - this limb is somewhat isolated, but between it and the view from the bridge is another limb blocking the view. It wasn't until we were able to get to the trunk of the tree itself and look from that angle out and towards the river that the Solo was viewable.

Of course it just started storming - first rain since the incident.

View attachment 577

It's sort of hard to tell from this photo, but most of the tree seen to the left of the arrow point below is actually not the tree in question but a larger tree further down the river. The arrow points roughly to where the Solo is behind.

View attachment 579
I've been following this closely..
This is my nightmare ..but I eventually wake up.

I know you will too Jason and we will all get to see how much water damage (rain or GOD forbid river) will effect both the GoPro/Solo.

good LUK!!

Reactions: Jason C
16' of some 3/4" cpvc (2 - 8' pieces)
1 - pruning saw
1 - fish net (with handle)
1 - roll of duct tape.

Someone should be able to get on the main branch leading away from the trunk. Take the 8' section of cpvc with fishnet attached to the end of it. Position it under the drone so when the small branch holding the Solo is cut with the other piece of cpvc with attached pruning saw, it drops into the net.

If 8' is not long enough then go with whatever is long enough. Just make sure you have the fishing net tightly to the pole with good amount of tape. Go up and down the handle (2 foot) with a couple of layers of tape. And make sure it is directly under the drone and that there is no chance it can miss the net.

Hope you get it.

If you are skittish to do that. Lasso the top of the tree, tie the rope off onto a truck hitch, then cut a notch in the tree facing the truck and then cut on the other side and start pulling the tree while it is being cut to keep it from going in the river.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Hey now I own every DJI product that has come out and must say the solo has its place. I truly like both products and both have their problems!! But I will never flame one or the other.
Lol . Well I am currently only flying dji. The people here are really nice
The other forum comment is a running joke between Sarah and I. That said I do like the folks here much better!

Reactions: Sarah B
Lol . Well I am currently only flying dji. The people here are really nice
The other forum comment is a running joke between Sarah and I. That said I do like the folks here much better!
I aint much of a fanboy or true to one product. I do like the solo with its potential and will keep mine. Id saved a ton of best buy rewards stuff and actually have very little money in it. That being said I too fly the other guys stuff more but find myself each day liking the solo more. Just something about it. Too me though my supercar of them (in***e 1) is a beast. For fun my old mqx full manual mode. Now those days are far long gone in the day and age of quads. Id like to see a quarter of these pilots handle a quad in full manual mode.

Heading back out tonight with someone who has some tree trimming experience. Probably won't go for it tonight but make a plan of attack. Fingers crossed.

Heading back out tonight with someone who has some tree trimming experience. Probably won't go for it tonight but make a plan of attack. Fingers crossed.
Good luck Jason. Maybe it got caught in one of our tornadoes last night and is back in China !

Good Luck Jason! You should be able to find a way to get it, especially with someone with good tree experience.

No luck tonight. It survived the storms stuck in the tree, but it's still too far out to get to.

you should hire me for $1259 to attempt to P3P to solo rescue mission... i saw it happen before :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Glad you found it Jason!!!! Good luck getting to it! Maybe we could implore the help of those monkeys in the SOLO commercial to help get it down...lol.

In all seriousness though, I hope it still works and you get it back in your hands safely.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks