Solo Disappearance - Now RECOVERED

I saw that video too, but I suspect the hook could just as easily hook the tree!

Please, keep throwing out suggestions. I want to solve this more than anyone. Right now the prevailing plan includes a canoe in the river and someone either climbing out and cutting the limb or shooting it down. Either way sounds risky.
When you get it, strip it down some and put it in rice for a few days, battery camera, solo. Don't even try to power it up until you know it is completely dry. Unless you had a motor pod go out when you went in the tree, there is probably nothing wrong with it.

Jason, get two canoe, they don't have to be big, have 2 people in each to hold a big fish net between each canoe, the idea is to hold them above water level so when you cut the limb and the solo drops it won't touch the water. You can have one person in each canoe too and attached the bog fish net to small brackets in the canoe.

canoe are not heavy so you can use a big rock or small anchor to keep them in place and not moving away from the drop zone.

I saw that video too, but I suspect the hook could just as easily hook the tree!

Please, keep throwing out suggestions. I want to solve this more than anyone. Right now the prevailing plan includes a canoe in the river and someone either climbing out and cutting the limb or shooting it down. Either way sounds risky.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I would climb the tree, and get as close to the helicopter as I could. Then .... I would use something light, like lengths of 1/2" copper piping connected together, with a noose on the end, to snag the Solo.

This is someone else's idea, but I will NOT give him credit.

Jason, get two canoe, they don't have to be big, have 2 people in each to hold a big fish net between each canoe, the idea is to hold them above water level so when you cut the limb and the solo drops it won't touch the water. You can have one person in each canoe too and attached the bog fish net to small brackets in the canoe.

canoe are not heavy so you can use a big rock or small anchor to keep them in place and not moving away from the drop zone.
Also, have someone filming it.....

Reactions: RichWest
The number one joke I have heard is to get another drone to retrieve it, and each time I give that same response. Of course my other drone is a Parrot AR.Drone 2, which I have NO DOUBT would end up stuck in the tree (or more likely dip itself into the river).
My inspire might blow it out. Just kidding I wouldnt fly it near water.

Whatever you do, I would do it soon. You have what $1300 to $1400 hanging in the tree, provided GPS coordinates and a map to exactly where it is at.... go with a fishing net, put it under it and cut the limb. Figure that it is not going to be light (10 lbs) so you may want to use a steel piping attached to the fishnet instead of cvpc.

You could also use a piece of steel pipe to build a snake catcher with. Run some clothesline through the metal pipe and make a tightening noose on the end so when you pull the line you are closing the noose around the Solo. I think this may be what Sarah was referring to.

Just did a search and the pic below is similar to what we used to make growing up but we just made the noose knot so big it would not go back down in the the pipe. They have drilled a hole in theirs.

Again, whatever you do, do it before someone beats you to it.

Here you can see it in action.

snake catcher.PNG

Whatever you do, I would do it soon. You have what $1300 to $1400 hanging in the tree, provided GPS coordinates and a map to exactly where it is at.... go with a fishing net, put it under it and cut the limb.

Again, whatever you do, do it before someone beats you to it.

Do you think I don't know that? I've been out there daily with different people looking at finding a solution, and everyone thinks they have one until we actually get out there and they see the reality of the situation. It's probably 40 feet from the tree, out at a 45 degree angle, to the drone. Over 4+ foot deep recently flooded river water at a height of 40-50 feet or more. It's not just difficult, it's dangerous too, and I'm not about to risk mine or someone else's life for the drone. BUT there has to be a way.

The snake catcher idea is interesting, though the tricky parts would be holding the weight of a pipe sticking out 40 feet from the very end at that angle and manipulating the rope over that length of pipe - you could pull it in, but if you had to push it back out, it would likely be impossible over that distance short of disassembling and trying again.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
The snake catcher idea is interesting, though the tricky parts would be holding the weight of a pipe sticking out 40 feet from the very end at that angle and manipulating the rope over that length of pipe - you could pull it in, but if you had to push it back out, it would likely be impossible over that distance short of disassembling and trying again.

It looked like in a earlier pic you had some branches you may have been able to rest the pipe on. After taking a second look I cannot tell if it is hung in the limb closer or farther away. I see a Y that looks to be above it but it is hard to tell. If it was then you may be able to rest cvpc on that branch above it to hold it steady and noose it. After you have it noosed then you can tie it off to prevent slippage and then use something stronger to lift the cpvc up with the drone attached it if you feel it is not strong enough to do it's own.

Oh I forgot. An 1" or 1 1/2" cvpc is not going to have that much bend in it if any and would be lighter than steel.

It looked like in a earlier pic you had some branches you may have been able to rest the pipe on. After taking a second look I cannot tell if it is hung in the limb closer or farther away. I see a Y that looks to be above it but it is hard to tell. If it was then you may be able to rest cvpc on that branch above it to hold it steady and noose it. After you have it noosed then you can tie it off to prevent slippage and then use something stronger to lift the cpvc up with the drone attached it if you feel it is not strong enough to do it's own.

yeah, that's what's tricky about tree photos. The drone is hung further away.

Going to look at getting some PVC today to test with.

Another option: You mentioned it's state/county land? Would anyone care (or know) if you cut the tree down?
Just rope the tree and pull it in a direction away from the water when you cut it.
Chainsaw rentals are fairly cheap. The caveat is that the drone could come loose while sawing the tree.

Everyone here is wishing you luck.

I had something similiar happen to me in my yard with my old drone, a Blade QX3 350. No water underneath it, but it was probably around 60-70' up in the pine tree with a frozen ground below. I borrowed a few snow rakes with 25' extensions and hooked em all together. Making a very long sturdy pole. The poles on these rakes are very sturdy and light, might be an option for you. I also stood on a tall extension ladder against the tree and poked at it til it fell. My one suggestion, whatever you get to catch it, make it bigger than you think you need. Mine hit a branch on it's way down that redirected it's fall so it landed a foot from the big sheet I had a bunch of people holding. Luckily a new body was less than $30 and I was up and flying within a week again. I learned some valuable lesson from that flight. This sorta thing terrifies me with my Solo! Good luck.

BTW.. here's the video of it landing in the tree. I hope to see your video like this soon. Hopefully with a better outcome than I had! (Go to 1:30 to see the decent)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not saying you should climb the tree with a chain saw (this is for professionals), but if the bottom of the branch is reachable, or reachable with a small ladder, and you cut it properly, it will hinge down in towards the tree, away from the water. You can also attach a rope to be sure that if you cut it free, it doesn't float down river.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about (start about 3:17)

Or, if you don't want a chain saw (they are noisy), use a rope saw:

Good luck!

Last edited:
This is an epic tale. The bird is in an obvious bad location. I think you're getting to the point that cutting the limb is the only option.

Just adding thoughts to a solution. If you have a limb near and/or above, you could incorporate a tag line to the offending limb from that vantage point. This would allow somewhat an ability to control the other limb when cut. I would hope the bird is entangled into the limb so that it could hold on during the controlled decent with the tag line.

If your tree trimmer friend has any experience with throw lines, he should be able to make this happen from the ground. It's an art, so several attempts maybe be needed.

Well, I went to home depot and tried two (of the five needed) rigid conduit pipes together and two alone were very heavy without a load and started to have some flex in them. Very doubtful that five will work. And all the PVC had way too much flex in it.

Well, I went to home depot and tried two (of the five needed) rigid conduit pipes together and two alone were very heavy without a load and started to have some flex in them. Very doubtful that five will work. And all the PVC had way too much flex in it.

Sounds like your last option is to do some cutting then. I would just cut the whole tree down. You can notch it pretty easily and have someone pull on it to fall their way as long as it is not leaning a lot.

Roof Rakes on Amazon

They're some money, but I'm sure they would work for you. The end can be removed on most of these for storage and you can put a bunch of extensions together. Maybe you can just buy as many extensions as you need. They're made from aluminum so are a lot lighter than conduit, and much sturdier. My first attempt was using conduit too, not a chance they would work!! I had 10 sections on hand for another project. After putting 3 of them together the end just sagged all the way to the ground, not to mention they were heavy.

I had a smaller quad stuck 60'-70' up in a tree. I used a crossbow with the tip removed from a bolt to shoot some twine up near the copter to pull/shake it down. Of course I didn't have a flooded river underneath to make catching it difficult.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M