Solo charging options ??

Reaction score
Hi guys. Im new at the drone scene and even newer at the online forum scene so plz forgive me if i make a mistake

I bought a 3dr solo and i have 2 batteries. Was wondering if there is a reliable solution to charge the batteries on the go, something like either a car charger adaptor or a laptop powerbank which i can connect the solo charger into. It would make sense for me to get a generic car socket adaptor to charge a laptop or a 20,000Mah laptop powerbank but im reading a lot that solo is designed to work with its own peripherals and going 3rd party might make the solo drone unhappy.
I currently have the following setup
3dr solo
3dr 3 axis gimbal
2 batteries
Samsung s5 android smartphone
Gopro hero 3 black edition (not 3+ black as required by solo, hence have not started flying it)

Any info on charging would be appreciated.

Thanks people :)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hi guys. Im new at the drone scene and even newer at the online forum scene so plz forgive me if i make a mistake

Welcome. You certainly don't need a GoPro to start flying - simply remove the gimbal if it is on Solo. Also, GP3+B will soon be even older technology with the intro of GP5, and control of GP3+B is less than that of GP4B in the Solo App.

I'm on my tablet now and won't do the search for you, but you can search this forum and find MANY threads with battery info including recommended charge/discharge/storage levels.

I bought a 3dr solo and i have 2 batteries. Was wondering if there is a reliable solution to charge the batteries on the go, something like either a car charger adaptor or a laptop powerbank which i can connect the solo charger into. It would make sense for me to get a generic car socket adaptor to charge a laptop or a 20,000Mah laptop powerbank but im reading a lot that solo is designed to work with its own peripherals and going 3rd party might make the solo drone unhappy.
I currently have the following setup
3dr solo
3dr 3 axis gimbal
2 batteries
Samsung s5 android smartphone
Gopro hero 3 black edition (not 3+ black as required by solo, hence have not started flying it)

I Drive a VW touareg, Don't know the specification on the AC outlet that comes standard, but it does a fine job on all my Solo Charging: batteries, Controller & other Camera equipment also, Not suggesting to go buy a touareg, but a standard / conventual converter may work.
Update: touareg
100 watts max recommended. 100 watts equals roughly 10-12 amps from your 12 volt system and manufacturers often choose a 15 amp fuse limit

Last edited:
Hello was wondering anyone think of putting a solar cell on the drone just asking
For what purpose? You need a huge surface area to make a difference and Solo eats through batteries at a huge A/h rate.

I believe a lot of people think of it however is not currently practical especially on the Solo type drones. The drone won't be able to lift a big enough panel for the power we need.. If someone was successful doing it on DIY aircraft you would see it at. DIY Drones

Questions:

What are you trying to do?

Did you google it?

Thanks guys. The reason i was asking is i wanted to charge the solo batteries while im driving to another spot. I'll get a 27000mah powerbank with a wall outlet built into it and see how that goes. Would have attached a picture but dont know how to on tapatalk .

I want to take videos of my flights as well so im assuming iwill have to buy a compatible camera.

I want to take videos of my flights as well so im assuming iwill have to buy a compatible camera.
That, or just see it in your mind's eye...

If you are rushing out to get a camera, get a GoPro 4 Black, and don't upgrade the FW until you research the consequences.

With the hero 3 black edition i can see the video on my phome but i cant film it. Will have to push start on the camera before take off and edit th video later i guess.

I tried to put in a link but it wouldnt let me. Theres a powerbank out there known as the chargetech. Its got a wall plug outlet to charge laptops and thrnlike. Would it be possible to use it to charge solo batteries via the solo charger if i plugged it into the powerbank.. ?? My guess is yes, but im seeing many different setups which is making me believe that solo doesnt like powerbanks ??

I tried to put in a link but it wouldnt let me...

Tapatalk used to allow links, but I got tired of it and just use the full site on my tablet and phone. Try that and see if it works for you.

That, or just see it in your mind's eye...

If you are rushing out to get a camera, get a GoPro 4 Black, and don't upgrade the FW until you research the consequences.
He will run into an issue either way buying a new GP4 Black. They come with firmware 2.x and a lot of the features used in the app require v3. So none of the in app camera setting will work. Personally I'd upgrade to 4.x just knowing you have to manually power it on. No biggie. We all used to have to do that a few updates ago anyway. Minor price to pay to get all of the other working functionality, I think.

He will run into an issue either way buying a new GP4 Black. They come with firmware 2.x....
I didn't remember that about mine; had it about 2 months. You're probably correct. Wonder if all the current GP4 are on 2.x?

Thanks guys. The reason i was asking is i wanted to charge the solo batteries while im driving to another spot. I'll get a 27000mah powerbank with a wall outlet built into it and see how that goes. Would have attached a picture but dont know how to on tapatalk .

This would be pretty slow and wasteful. The most efficient way to charge your batteries in the car is to use DC-DC converters. For any load over 120W use thick cables (8AWG) connected directly to the battery, but make sure you keep them short (cable resistance).

Is it the same as a car laptop charging inverter ??

20160903_105251.jpg
Hi. .this may be a stupid question . Butncan i plug my solo charger in this socket ?? Its in my car.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44