solo battery chargers wanted :

I finally had the parts delivered yesterday, and I did some rough testing last night. It's a busy work week for me so I'm not going to be able to build & document much until at least this weekend.

Here's the voltage regulator I got, and I can confirm that it works to deliver 16.8 VDC @ 6 Amps so the "smart battery" will charge quickly and correctly. I can also confirm that it absolutely need a fan to run at ~100 watt output; the fan is a 30mm fan. (I "stole" one out of a dead network switch)
10A DC-DC 10-32V Step-up to 10-60v Boost Power Supply + LCD volt Ammeter | eBay

As for the input, I'm using a power supply very similar to this:
AC TO DC 12 VOLT 75 AMP 900 WATT POWER SUPPLY LED RC CHARGER LIPO | eBay

I got all the parts put together and have been doing some testing so I can write up my findings to share with everyone. Part of the fun, but also the delay, in providing information is that I need to drain batteries (fly) to be able to do any testing. I realize I could discharge them via other methods, but where's the fun in that?!

I want to report that the eBay step-up boost unit linked above DOES NOT WORK with Solo batteries. I don't know exactly why, but it won't stabilize the current output and for $13 I'm not going to troubleshoot the electronics. I've found an alternate boost converter with an even nicer display that has a battery "gauge" function (unnecessary, but cool) and it will be delivered on Sunday. So, until then, I'm working on making sure I have multiple discharged batteries to test with and am working on a dock/stand; I'll test with homemade pigtail cables and make some "real" cables or a dock once I get to a 3D printer.

** My apologies to the forum member that started this thread, I can start a new thread if you're not interested in following the discussion anymore.

You need to search this
I got all the parts put together and have been doing some testing so I can write up my findings to share with everyone. Part of the fun, but also the delay, in providing information is that I need to drain batteries (fly) to be able to do any testing. I realize I could discharge them via other methods, but where's the fun in that?!

I want to report that the eBay step-up boost unit linked above DOES NOT WORK with Solo batteries. I don't know exactly why, but it won't stabilize the current output and for $13 I'm not going to troubleshoot the electronics. I've found an alternate boost converter with an even nicer display that has a battery "gauge" function (unnecessary, but cool) and it will be delivered on Sunday. So, until then, I'm working on making sure I have multiple discharged batteries to test with and am working on a dock/stand; I'll test with homemade pigtail cables and make some "real" cables or a dock once I get to a 3D printer.

** My apologies to the forum member that started this thread, I can start a new thread if you're not interested in following the discussion anymore.
you need to search this forum more. There are already projects like this on the go with CC/CV chargers that work. I suggest that you use the search field in the top right corner please.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M