solo battery chargers wanted :

I just scored one on Bass Pro Shops for $24.97. I can't find it on their website anymore but that would be definitely something worth looking into.

I'm working on an aftermarket DIY battery charger that will be able to rapid-charge (compared to stock) Solo batteries. I've been able to determine that the amperage cutoff for the internal circuitry is 6A @ 16.8 VDC (100.8 watts). As soon as the rest of the parts arrive from China I'll post a how-to, but it looks like ~$55 for the power supply and then ~$21/battery to simultaneously charge up to 9 batteries. If you want to charge from a car battery then you can skip the $55 power supply. I expect to have this built and tested before 1/1/17, but it all depends on China Post and USPS getting parts to me in time.

I'm working on an aftermarket DIY battery charger that will be able to rapid-charge (compared to stock) Solo batteries. I've been able to determine that the amperage cutoff for the internal circuitry is 6A @ 16.8 VDC (100.8 watts). As soon as the rest of the parts arrive from China I'll post a how-to, but it looks like ~$55 for the power supply and then ~$21/battery to simultaneously charge up to 9 batteries. If you want to charge from a car battery then you can skip the $55 power supply. I expect to have this built and tested before 1/1/17, but it all depends on China Post and USPS getting parts to me in time.
You realise that this has been covered on this forum LOTS!? and its not continuous 6A btw. The battery only draws Its max amperage when its dead, the closer to fully charged the slower the current. hopefully you bought CC-CV chargers?! You are able to save approx 30min of charge time vs the stock charger!! :) which is still good!

Have you gotten to a finished prototype yet? I am VERY interested in seeing how yours turned out. I too would like to build one.

Reactions: Travelfox
Have you gotten to a finished prototype yet? I am VERY interested in seeing how yours turned out. I too would like to build one.

I finally had the parts delivered yesterday, and I did some rough testing last night. It's a busy work week for me so I'm not going to be able to build & document much until at least this weekend.

Here's the voltage regulator I got, and I can confirm that it works to deliver 16.8 VDC @ 6 Amps so the "smart battery" will charge quickly and correctly. I can also confirm that it absolutely need a fan to run at ~100 watt output; the fan is a 30mm fan. (I "stole" one out of a dead network switch)
10A DC-DC 10-32V Step-up to 10-60v Boost Power Supply + LCD volt Ammeter | eBay

As for the input, I'm using a power supply very similar to this:
AC TO DC 12 VOLT 75 AMP 900 WATT POWER SUPPLY LED RC CHARGER LIPO | eBay

Last edited:
I finally had the parts delivered yesterday, and I did some rough testing last night. It's a busy work week for me so I'm not going to be able to build & document much until at least this weekend.

Here's the voltage regulator I got, and I can confirm that it works to deliver 16.8 VDC @ 6 Amps so the "smart battery" will charge quickly and correctly. I can also confirm that it absolutely need a fan to run at ~100 watt output; the fan is a 30mm fan. (I "stole" one out of a dead network switch)
10A DC-DC 10-32V Step-up to 10-60v Boost Power Supply + LCD volt Ammeter | eBay

As for the input, I'm using a power supply very similar to this:
AC TO DC 12 VOLT 75 AMP 900 WATT POWER SUPPLY LED RC CHARGER LIPO | eBay

can you make a post aboput this with pictures and such?

can you make a post aboput this with pictures and such?
There are lots of DIY power supplies on this forum. Just search it. Its been done, I as well am working on one. I can even use my Arduino to get the data off the battery. Cell voltages charge current Remaining current charge percentage ect.... Im working on a 4 charger station. My problem im having is I cannot source the power plugs that fit the batteries.

Wow, I didn't check inventory when I posted the link. I bought 6 last week and there were 150+ in stock when I placed the order. Somebody just grabbed a few...

Wow, I didn't check inventory when I posted the link. I bought 6 last week and there were 150+ in stock when I placed the order. Somebody just grabbed a few...
I sent them a quote email. Hopefully they will get back to me with some?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela