Software Update - Version 2.4.0

Does anyone know whether a firmware update will reset any settings that have been changed via Mission Planner?
It doesn't reset, but may overwrite some. With 2.4 a bunch of new params have been added, too.
Btw in case you have saved your old parameter settings in MP (what you always should do as a backup) you can run a diff after upgrade and MP will highlight any potential changes.

I stand corrected. Where are we safe, private and secure?
Honestly, nowhere if you want to live in modern society. Unless you are willing to give up bank accounts, credit cards, the internet, your car, your cell phone, etc. Everything digital is tracked and will only become more so. If you use it, you buy into it.

And you didn't have to read on some website about google tracking you. You agreed to the terms of service for each of those services, and it pretty much spells out what they do with the data in exchange for using their "free" services. Nothing is free. You use gmail? You agree to let them see everything, including the contents of archived files. You use mapping services? You agree to share your location data with them, etc. Have facebook installed on your phone? You use them? You agree to hand over all of your activity, location, etc. Some even use the microphone to record whats going on in the background, in order to "help" you if you want to maybe search for something. Websites, including this one (look at the source code) use google analytics to track you, from website to website. It's all in there. Lots and lots of legal print you agreed too. It's also very similar to Apples :)

Last edited:
If it works in the new app like it does in Tower, it is RTH OR RTM. If you select RTM during or before flight, Solo is receiving the NEW Home Point every few seconds. This replaces the take off point. What RTM is doing is replacing the original HP with a new one every few seconds. Loss of controller or activating RTH will fly it to the last updated position, as it is the new HP.

well, I hope that's how they implemented it. I'll probably have it always set to "Return to Me" and "Hover" after return. It always worries me when in "Follow me" mode and being lets say 3km away from launch point that Solo would attempt to fly all the way back where it started if I lose signal. My practice was to stop the car every 2km and land the Solo to recreate new launch point to limit the distance Solo would attempt to fly back in case of loss signal.

Just updated Solo app to 2.4 (iOS) and can't wait to go back flying. It's been frustrating last 5 weeks waiting for a replacement HDMI cable (actually still waiting for 3DR to send me new cable), the ribbon flat cables did not work for me either, usually last 1 day at most in my case, I went through 4 of those. Finally received new type ribbon cable from AerialPixels (one end right angle and the other end straight) and installed it yesterday, so I'm good to start flying again and if this HDMI cable lasts then I'll start testing new version of the App.

Reactions: jibcamera
On return To me Mode:
Can someone confirm that when the signal is lost, Solo will get back to the latest known position rcvd from the controller/phone?

I use Android, so I have do not have the 2.4 app. However, it is likely implemented similar to Tower which I do use. In Tower, if you select the RTM feature you HP is dynamically updated every few seconds to where the tablet/phone is currently located (provided your device has GPS). It's really pretty simple the way it works.

Reactions: Nick F
Hi mine said the same thing but mine was on level ground and the gimbal would move to left when I pan up when pan down it would move to the right I contacted tec support via chat the guy told me to remove the gimbal and reinstall yeah right so to him never mind I recalibrated and so far good.

I updated last night. Had a small problem in the final stages of the update. The controller went blank right after it displayed the checkmark stating "Update Complete". I could not get the controller lcd screen to come back on. I was getting haptic feedback even when I pressed the power on button. The controller would not power off! I finally pulled the battery on the controller and tried a complete restart on everything. Controller LCD would not display again. Was about ready to post on this forum when I decided to reboot everything and pull the battery out/in on the controller again. This resulted in everything locking in perfectly and controller LCD working. Strange??? Took it up for a flight and I noticed after 1 min. in the air that the display on my Galaxy Tab 4 would intermittently flash the map overlay over my GoPro video feed. Landed immediately and called it quits for the evening. I'm going to fly this morning and see if the same symptoms occur. Anyone else have this flashing map overlay issue after this new upgrade?

Has anyone updated yet? Is it working with no problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Android updated easily...but now my Settings are stuck in 1080p and 30fps...nothing seems to change this. It just reverts back.
Any ideas?

I'm a big fan of this update. I like the rewind option for RTL. Haven't figured out how to geofence yet, but that will be handy in certain situations.

Regarding manuals and updated videos, 3DR says they are coming soon.

Just tried the new Pano smart shot and found a software bug. I started the pano smart shot while already recording video. The result on the GoPro flash card: No individual still image(s), but instead lots of 3-second-long videos of Solo during each rotation between what SHOULD have been the still shots. Strangely, I did two panos, one of each type, and the same result occurred for both... but when I exited the last one, the GoPro went into photograph mode (without warning, and obviously too late) and the video recording stopped.

Moral of the story: Don't be in video mode, recording video, when you start a pano. Be in photograph mode. (I hope they fix this bug soon).

In case it matters, I use a GoPro Hero 4 Silver, and an iPad Mini 4.

o_Oo_O
Honestly, nowhere if you want to live in modern society. Unless you are willing to give up bank accounts, credit cards, the internet, your car, your cell phone, etc. Everything digital is tracked and will only become more so. If you use it, you buy into it.

And you didn't have to read on some website about google tracking you. You agreed to the terms of service for each of those services, and it pretty much spells out what they do with the data in exchange for using their "free" services. Nothing is free. You use gmail? You agree to let them see everything, including the contents of archived files. You use mapping services? You agree to share your location data with them, etc. Have facebook installed on your phone? You use them? You agree to hand over all of your activity, location, etc. Some even use the microphone to record whats going on in the background, in order to "help" you if you want to maybe search for something. Websites, including this one (look at the source code) use google analytics to track you, from website to website. It's all in there. Lots and lots of legal print you agreed too. It's also very similar to Apples :)
Just cover your head with aluminum foil- then you will be safe.o_O

I love when people post on the internet that they don't use google because they don't want to be tracked and data mined. As if Apple, Mozilla, microsoft, their ISP, and all their social media outlets aren't doing it too.

Well, I am one of the brave souls who tried it, 'didn't even know that there was an update.
I was up on the roof of our office (residential area), getting ready to fly/hover a few feet, when it said new software available.
I downloaded it, installed it. calibrated and flew :) 'Didn't get to try the new features because of safety reasons but i was able to fly and land safely. Seems stable :)

Last edited:
Well, I am one of the breave souls who tried it, 'didn't even know that there was an update.
I was up on the roof of our office (residential area), getting ready to fly/hover a few feet, when it said new software available.
I downloaded it, installed it. calibrated and flew :) 'Didn't get to try the new features because of safety reasons but i was able to fly and land safely. Seems stable :)
Alx, that was a firmware update you got, unless your using IOS, if your an Android user, then your waiting for the app update also. Most of us are.

I'm a big fan of this update. I like the rewind option for RTL. Haven't figured out how to geofence yet, but that will be handy in certain situations.

Regarding manuals and updated videos, 3DR says they are coming soon.
in map mode look for a little square top right hand corner. you hit that and it will place a box with 4 points you can move around. Have not played with it yet but figured that much out

Reactions: erikgraham
Alx, that was a firmware update you got, unless your using IOS, if your an Android user, then your waiting for the app update also. Most of us are.

Yes i'm on iOS. Using the iPhone 6 Plus and the iPhone 6 S PLus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44