Severe vibration

Reaction score
I'm already done Prop balancing, motor balancing and installed gimbal no interference.

But still showing severe vibration.

Any opinion?

I wonder if the problem is only mine.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Adding a load of contact points with moongel etc will make matters worse. First props should be balanced and if there's an issue after that look at a mod for the HDMI cable and possibly data cable.

Less contact points = happy Solo.

Adding a load of contact points with moongel etc will make matters worse. First props should be balanced and if there's an issue after that look at a mod for the HDMI cable and possibly data cable.

Ian... while I would generally agree with your statement... I will have to politely disagree in this specific case in point. I have tested with and without moongels. There is a noticeable improvement. I have also tried with sorbothane and other materials and came to the conclusion that Moongel is superior. Peace. David.

Likewise others have found the opposite, this has been discussed on the Solo Mod Club and Philip Rowse has specifically said less contact points is better and he knows about isolating vibration methods.

Every contact point will pass some vibration not matter the material, so avoiding any contact is always better.

I've been motor balancing, but still motor cause vibration...

I wonder this vibration problem is undergoing only me, or many owners having...ㅜㅜ

Looking outside the magnification, the videos look pretty good. Under that kind of magnification I'm not sure that many videos thought to be smooth would show similar results. But then, I have never zoomed in that far except to capture a still.

Reactions: jibcamera
All mutlicopters have vibration it is nature of beast so you'll never be able to eliminate it entirely from the frame, so I do no more than props, then I've ensured there's as little contact with the gimbal and wiring as possible.

Looking outside the magnification, the videos look pretty good. Under that kind of magnification I'm not sure that many videos thought to be smooth would show similar results. But then, I have never zoomed in that far except to capture a still.
I'd agree with this, severe is a strong word to use when having to zoom into a video, most software could address that in post too.

Have the Solo ever crashed, or even tipped over with the motors running?

Perhaps you have a bent motor shafts on one or more motors?

I can't say if every quad will be smooth on zoomed in video, but if you have motor vibrations that can't be cured, check motor bearings, or the motor shafts for runout.

I've been motor balancing, but still motor cause vibration...

I wonder this vibration problem is undergoing only me, or many owners having...ㅜㅜ

Kim, I am not having any issues. I love my Solo + Gimbal, and normally do not correct any shake in post. I don't generally magnify, though I do like to play with adjusting time pitch for fun... .when I double or triple the speed, the smoothed turbulence again becomes visible... just. So if I needed 200% speed or more, and wanted it smooth, I would have to anti-shake in post-processing.

I am not super pro at this but I have played with the calibration on my IRIS+ gimbal and caused "vibration" based on the gimbal trying to over-correct for motor or other slightly harmonic "noise", which actually magnified it.

Also I was wondering if you have a GoPro 4 Silver, 3 Black or 3 Silver, and didn't add the balance weights -- would that affect this?

And again with IRIS -- the arm can be loose... Solo has a shell that covers the arm but perhaps you have a Solo with some wiggle in an arm?

I believe if you ask 3DR they can get vibration logs or show you how to, to help diagnose it. Would definitely try that too!

Kim, I am not having any issues. I love my Solo + Gimbal, and normally do not correct any shake in post. I don't generally magnify, though I do like to play with adjusting time pitch for fun... .when I double or triple the speed, the smoothed turbulence again becomes visible... just. So if I needed 200% speed or more, and wanted it smooth, I would have to anti-shake in post-processing.

I am not super pro at this but I have played with the calibration on my IRIS+ gimbal and caused "vibration" based on the gimbal trying to over-correct for motor or other slightly harmonic "noise", which actually magnified it.

Also I was wondering if you have a GoPro 4 Silver, 3 Black or 3 Silver, and didn't add the balance weights -- would that affect this?

And again with IRIS -- the arm can be loose... Solo has a shell that covers the arm but perhaps you have a Solo with some wiggle in an arm?

I believe if you ask 3DR they can get vibration logs or show you how to, to help diagnose it. Would definitely try that too!

Actually I just watched your footage (duh, should have done that first). Have you set your camera properly? That level of vibration is not too bad, it almost looks like you're yawing and the step in the gimbal is appearing under high magnification. I would put an ND filter on the gopro to keep it's eyes open a bit longer, but you're still not going to get optical image stabilisation effects from a gimbal, and under such a strong magnification you're just multiplying it. :-(

I agree that the un-magnified video looks fine. I've never seen video magnified like that- I suspect most videos would look the same.

I have a small HD video camera with 40x zoom. Wide angle video looks fine but as you zoom in small camera movements look much bigger on the video. At 40x it's impossible to hold by hand and get stable video- even on a tripod, the slightest tripod movement looks like an earthquake on the video.

I suspect you're seeing the same thing- I don't think you could ever get perfectly stable drone video at that level of zoom/ magnification.

I calculated the magnification is about 350% to 400% at the camp site.
I did the same magnification on my very only 1 test video and it seems that , my Solo is a bit better than Min-KS , its is a bit less vibration. I am assuming both are videos are at very low ambient wind speed.

However to eliminate vibration a 100% on a drone's video, while props spinning and drone is hoovering and video FOV is static and at 350%-400% magnification, that I would say is near impossible. In any video, a static scenery shot is almost always 5 seconds only and slow pan would be next. Its boring to watch static scenery as video, as photo it is nice. Slow panning takes away any vibrations as motion blur starts to play or "cover-up", more so when ND filter applied and we can keep shutter speed within the 180 degrees rule.

I don't have enough experience hours on drone gimbal, but I have decent experience on handheld
3 axis gimbal.

I agree with Ian, there is no such thing as a drone not sending out vibration energy at that kind of propeller spin speed and 4 of them. Gimbals do cancel vibration out but can never do it at 100% or at super minute angle adjustment.

On my handheld gimbals repetetive similar vibration it can cancel out well, but very sudden ones, not so. Example if I sit on a motorbike as a passenger and hold the gimbal, the suspension play causing vibration is cancelled out by the gimbal, but it can not cancel out intermittent sudden twitch from my hand.

For me props and motor vibration is one thing, but hoovering stability is another as it generate those sudden fast correction ( wind dependent ) which is not as constant as props or motor vibration. So I would want to avoid prolonged static shots.

Min-KS, I am sure there is some fine tuning you can do to improve the vibration, there seems to be a bit of room for improvement. Why don't u download the android vibrations apps and at least try to find which motor/props is generating more vibration than the other and start troubleshooting from there. You must try to maintain same RPM as when you hoover as motor/s and prop/s combination has its own certain un-sweet speed/rpm called critical speed.
Critical speed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually if you are a decently good flyer, all u need is a light type tachometer which read prop speed ( RPM ) using those 3m reflective tape and measure what RPM is the hoover RPM with the weight of the said camera you are using. Once you get that speed, get a 2 friends to help you, 1 guy hold down the drone at the said propeller RPM with if possible 1 finger only to reduce absorbing the vibration, the other guy read the light type tachometer and play with the throttle to try to mimic the hoovering RPM. Don't read vibration at the props where the reflective tape is placed on, as no matter how light the tape is, it may contribute to added vibration. This is just a suggestion to narrow down the source of vibration.

In a craft with more than 1 motors, different load on 1 motor may cause overall vibration.
On a propeller, due to some deformation or defect or fatigue, if any blade is having/carrying different load, vibration will also occur. Balancing a prop is about weight finding, it can not tell blade loading.
I had a bit of marine propulsion background, assisting one of my Boss, so I learn a thing or two . On a 4 blades marine propeller, all we need is 1 small ding on the props and the load per blade is thrown off, heavy vibration can occur, regardless that the static balancing read good. Since water is approx1,000 times more dense than air at sea level, any small ding effecting water flow on the blade and hence propeller loading, will effect a great deal. On a drone air props, it may not be the that severe but it will effect to some degree, nevertheless, no free lunch.

Good luck.

Reactions: Doug Benson
I agree that the un-magnified video looks fine. I've never seen video magnified like that- I suspect most videos would look the same.

I have a small HD video camera with 40x zoom. Wide angle video looks fine but as you zoom in small camera movements look much bigger on the video. At 40x it's impossible to hold by hand and get stable video- even on a tripod, the slightest tripod movement looks like an earthquake on the video.

I suspect you're seeing the same thing- I don't think you could ever get perfectly stable drone video at that level of zoom/ magnification.

Nothing is going to give pixel-perfect framegrabs at that level of zoom. Not even a photo vs framegrab. Remember that we're using micro imagers on a non-fixed platform. This Solo has swapped out rubber dampers, camera aimed straight down (avoiding horizontal axis) and ND filter shooting at fixed 400 ISO. The image has high-contrast (which lends to more solid compression) and is essentially duo tone (blue/white). In other words, things are about as good as they can get, and it still has judder blur and in this case, abberation that I'd never have noticed had I not dug into the OP's issue.

The bottom shot is after I balanced props (APC), zero wind, loiter. Also shooting ProTune, which makes a huge difference when zooming in.

Dunno if this helps, but there are so many unknown variables in the OP's post, it may be nothing is wrong with his Solo other than maybe balancing and codec choice. The "test" asks more questions than it provides answers.

upload_2016-3-2_14-7-28.png

upload_2016-3-2_14-13-31.png

Reactions: pyrate
I concur with Jubair, the magnification is like anything zoomed in, you are going to see the vibration magnified. Your normal field of view looks very smooth, fly closer to your subject without zooming in and you will be happy with the results. All the tricks in the trade are not going to smooth out that much of a zoom in.
Even with the million dollar camera's the military UAVs use, zoomed in still has some vibration.

I have no Moongel in mine, and the ribbon cable only changed the nature of my vibrations, it did not reduce them.
If I ever tear it down again, I am considering putting the stock cable back but stripped

Zooming you are going to have problems period. You are going to have to post stabilize some footage no way around it. And that requires skill. two if the shots in this video need to redone because my warp stabilize settings are off and introducing more vibration than the original footage had

This video is with no stabilization at all flying new unbalanced APC props. Note the wind in this video.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks