Platform suggestions for Black Magic CC

Evening all. So I currently own a Solo and I love it. I think it's fantastic (although not without its issues). My biggest issue with the solo is the GoPro. It just wasn't designed for this sort of thing and I'm frustrated with the footage I'm getting. I'm therefore looking at a new rig that will allow me to lift an BMMCC or BMPCC and gimbal. I've seen a video online of the BMMCC being attached to an X8 which looked fantastic. The additional payload of the camera, gimbal and lens is 1.3kg so it would need to be something that could lift that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Specifically,* what are you unhappy with from the GoPro. Your question about processing has me wondering what you're using, and how you've set up your camera. Given that the GoPro (I'm not a huge fan either, but for different reasons) is used in hundreds of A-list films, television production, etc every day, it would generally indicate a specific need to move away from a GoPro in most situations.

*Specifically,* what are you unhappy with from the GoPro. Your question about processing has me wondering what you're using, and how you've set up your camera. Given that the GoPro (I'm not a huge fan either, but for different reasons) is used in hundreds of A-list films, television production, etc every day, it would generally indicate a specific need to move away from a GoPro in most situations.

Well I'm currently using Premiere for my workflow and rendering. I also use Speedgrade and Resolve for my colour grading. To be honest, I just don't like the 'look' of the footage for aerial work. The fov is far too wide for my liking and it doesn't have a particularly cinematic feel to it. To be honest I just feel I've outgrown the setup I have now and would like to take things a little more seriously. I like the idea of shooting RAW so as to give myself more flexibility when colour grading in post.

Here's a few examples of some recent outings. Bearing in mind they were all shot as per the settings above. The compression on YouTube do them no favours but they don't look much better on my 4K monitor.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Solo Keith
The main difference is that I am using a .4 or .8 ND filter when I'm shooting. I think it takes away some of the harshness of the GoPro.

Then I pass it through GoPro Studio to remove the fisheye and then add the basic ProTune colours back.

Like you, all my moves are slow, and I try to stay closer to the ground if I can. In other words, if the trees look 80 feet, I'm at no more than 100. If it's over the water, I'm 30-50 feet. I want to see stuff.

The Solo, for me after using two different Phantom is so much more controllable, and easy to fly.

I have a dealer who is stuck with a 2 controller Inspire and the deal he is offering me right now is amazing, but I can't bring myself to move to it because it's a DJI product. I might still do it. I'm still in the Honeymoon stage of my marriage, but I'm not sure it would improve much unless I upgraded to the highest end camera they sell, and I can't justify that.

I like what you shot BTW.

The main difference is that I am using a .4 or .8 ND filter when I'm shooting. I think it takes away some of the harshness of the GoPro.

Then I pass it through GoPro Studio to remove the fisheye and then add the basic ProTune colours back.

Like you, all my moves are slow, and I try to stay closer to the ground if I can. In other words, if the trees look 80 feet, I'm at no more than 100. If it's over the water, I'm 30-50 feet. I want to see stuff.

The Solo, for me after using two different Phantom is so much more controllable, and easy to fly.

I have a dealer who is stuck with a 2 controller Inspire and the deal he is offering me right now is amazing, but I can't bring myself to move to it because it's a DJI product. I might still do it. I'm still in the Honeymoon stage of my marriage, but I'm not sure it would improve much unless I upgraded to the highest end camera they sell, and I can't justify that.

I like what you shot BTW.

Thanks for that and thanks for the compliments. I use PolarPro ND filters. I've got the 6 pack and they're great. With regards to the Solo being extremely controllable, I couldn't agree more. It's a fantastic platform and I only wish that 3DR would offer more camera options. If that was the case I'd have no reason to be looking at purchasing another platform. I looked at the Inspire RAW but at £1300 for a SSD which is full after 40 minutes, I couldn't possibly justify it. Hence why I was looking at the Black Magic Micro. Fantastic quality footage, lightweight and very inexpensive when compared to the X5 and X5R.

Reactions: Benzo
@Steve_K What camera settings? Are you shooting in ProTune?

I have the same question. Camera settings. Do I get _more_ from the BMD? Yes. A lot more? Enough to justify the rig? Not really.
Shooting in RAW is quite frequently a go-to when knowledge isn't high. Yes, it allows for greater latitude in post, particularly with some cameras over others. However, ProRes 444 or 422 in HQ is usually all one needs for aerial. Were it that you were dealing with dramatic lighting and extremely high dynamic ranges, then RAW is a necessity. Me, I can't see it of value for aerial work unless the client demands it. Once in a great while, they do. However, the requirements of RAW are so significant, plus the significant workflow demands, be sure that's what you want to do.

Your question about processing hints that you're not milking the GoPro to its best grade. Protune, 24frames, proper ND for the gig makes a big difference. If you're doing all these things already, you could be ready to move on.

Understand that a big rig is not by any stretch a simple jump, and they're definitely not fast to fly.

Regarding the gimbal; it's a VC15 for the BMPC, modded to fit the 4K Micro.

Reactions: pyrate
I have the same question. Camera settings. Do I get _more_ from the BMD? Yes. A lot more? Enough to justify the rig? Not really.
Shooting in RAW is quite frequently a go-to when knowledge isn't high. Yes, it allows for greater latitude in post, particularly with some cameras over others. However, ProRes 444 or 422 in HQ is usually all one needs for aerial. Were it that you were dealing with dramatic lighting and extremely high dynamic ranges, then RAW is a necessity. Me, I can't see it of value for aerial work unless the client demands it. Once in a great while, they do. However, the requirements of RAW are so significant, plus the significant workflow demands, be sure that's what you want to do.

Your question about processing hints that you're not milking the GoPro to its best grade. Protune, 24frames, proper ND for the gig makes a big difference. If you're doing all these things already, you could be ready to move on.

Understand that a big rig is not by any stretch a simple jump, and they're definitely not fast to fly.

Regarding the gimbal; it's a VC15 for the BMPC, modded to fit the 4K Micro.

Thanks for the In-depth reply. I always have Protune on, i do use 24 FPS (not every time) and I use a set of 6 Polar Pro ND filters for the lens. With regards to the demands of working with RAW, I own a 5D mk iii which I shoot stills and video in RAW (Magic Lantern) so I'm aware that RAW isn't the answer to everything and it does increase your workflow demands/PC spec etc. I just find it gives you that much more control over your final output that it makes the hassle worth it. I actually really enjoy the post part of it all. Almost as much as capturing the footage

https://www.amazon.com/Recording-Bl..._SR396,480_&psc=1&refRID=6N7N9N4B068P32AC441A

I just discovered this camera. It,doesn't look much larger than a GoPro. I might buy one, modify the gimbal and give it a try. It looks like the ultimate solution

That does look promising actually but I've got a feeling the 3DR gimbal motors aren't powerful enough to cope with the nose heavy nature once you add a lens. I hope I'm wrong though

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
https://www.amazon.com/Recording-Bluetooth-Enabled-Compatible-Panasonic/dp/B01BKLQVBY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41sN-nt1YgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL480_SR396,480_&psc=1&refRID=6N7N9N4B068P32AC441A

I just discovered this camera. It,doesn't look much larger than a GoPro. I might buy one, modify the gimbal and give it a try. It looks like the ultimate solution
https://www.videomaker.com/article/r02a/18554-z-camera-e1-review
https://www.videomaker.com/article/r02a/18554-z-camera-e1-review

Similar to my thoughts on it. It would however, be a pleasant surprise if the gimbal could be modded to manage the weight of an MFT lens of any sort.

The E1 is not reviewing that well in motion

I can attest to that. The E1 is so much...less than I expected. Even for stills I'm not convinced, but for video you absolutely must have a stabilized lens, and a gimbal added to that is preferable. I just got a Zhiyun Crane and the Panny 14-42 Power Zoom, will go out in a day or two to get you guys some sample footage. If you don't absolutely need 4K the Olympus Air is a camera I'd like to see mounted on an aerial platform.

I'd still like to try the BMMCC, but really can't justify the purchase, it would be truly unnecessary.

Going back to the original topic regarding something to fly the BMPCC, definitely the custom build is a good choice, or you could look for a good deal on S900 or S1000. I saw an S900 at HK recently for $2500 with GH4 gimbal. I'm sure you could find a similar package at other dealers.

The camera weighs 8 oz. then a pancake lens like the 14 or 17 would add less than 2 oz. so we're talking about 10 oz then subtract the GoPro black and we are still 200 grams heavier.

Reading reviews, it's not described as an action camera, has some CAF issues, which are being worked on with frequent firmware updates.

Could it work? Maybe with better servo motors. Someone with good programming skills would need to unlock some of the controls available on this camera.

Obviously, the payload isn't the issue as some of the Survey Apps use 4-6 cameras strapped to the bottom, so it's just the Gimbal.

Hi Steve!

Just wondered if you had found any pre-made gimbal/camera combos that fit the Solo? I see on 3DRs website they stated in Jan:

"So what cameras and sensors can you expect your Solo to host? While we’ve got to keep tight-lipped, I can say that you can expect innovations from us in 2016."

And they talk a lot about how they didn't want anybody to be locked to GoPro, hence the open gimbal bay. But I can't find any compatible cameras other than the GoPro on the entire interwebs!!!

P

Hi Steve!

Just wondered if you had found any pre-made gimbal/camera combos that fit the Solo? I see on 3DRs website they stated in Jan:

"So what cameras and sensors can you expect your Solo to host? While we’ve got to keep tight-lipped, I can say that you can expect innovations from us in 2016."

And they talk a lot about how they didn't want anybody to be locked to GoPro, hence the open gimbal bay. But I can't find any compatible cameras other than the GoPro on the entire interwebs!!!

P

As far as I'm aware, the only official camera that has been released so far is the Kodak 360. I haven't heard anything about other camera options. The problem with solo is that its lift capacity is only 400g. Saying that, if you could get something like the X5 or X5R camera's from the inspire to fit Solo then you'd have a very capable platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela