Platform suggestions for Black Magic CC

I can attest to that. The E1 is so much...less than I expected. Even for stills I'm not convinced, but for video you absolutely must have a stabilized lens, and a gimbal added to that is preferable. I just got a Zhiyun Crane and the Panny 14-42 Power Zoom, will go out in a day or two to get you guys some sample footage. If you don't absolutely need 4K the Olympus Air is a camera I'd like to see mounted on an aerial platform.

I'd still like to try the BMMCC, but really can't justify the purchase, it would be truly unnecessary.

Going back to the original topic regarding something to fly the BMPCC, definitely the custom build is a good choice, or you could look for a good deal on S900 or S1000. I saw an S900 at HK recently for $2500 with GH4 gimbal. I'm sure you could find a similar package at other dealers.

Thank cheers. Yeah I've been looking at the S900/S1000. There's currently a brand new (5 minute test flight) S1000 with the A3 flight controller and lightbridge 2 on eBay for £4500. Also some S900's for £2500. While I'm not adverse to buying a good used platform, I like knowing how many hours the bird and motors actually have on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Steve. Let's see what comes out this year - there's still time for 3DR to meet our expectations as per their hints at developments in 2016!

Thanks, Steve. Let's see what comes out this year - there's still time for 3DR to meet our expectations as per their hints at developments in 2016!

I wouldn't hold your breath. They're not even producing Solo's anymore. Plus they've made their intent clear that they're moving towards the commercial side of things

I urge people to avoid the 900; they are cheap, plentiful, and problematic. SO GLAD I never put my good camera on the 900. Either one however, can be modded for Pixhawk. Imagine a monster Solo.:)

It's a fun bird to fly.

I urge people to avoid the 900; they are cheap, plentiful, and problematic. SO GLAD I never put my good camera on the 900. Either one however, can be modded for Pixhawk. Imagine a monster Solo.:)

It's a fun bird to fly.

That's good to know. Having an S1000 that had the functionality of Solo seems like an appealing proposition.

That's good to know. Having an S1000 that had the functionality of Solo seems like an appealing proposition.

The auto land/launch feature is da' bomb. S800/900s are famous for tipping. The 1000 with the auto launch/land is really sweet. And...there are many, many gimbals available for just about every camera you might consider.

The auto land/launch feature is da' bomb. S800/900s are famous for tipping. The 1000 with the auto launch/land is really sweet. And...there are many, many gimbals available for just about every camera you might consider.

Yeah it's one of my favourite features on Solo. Plus having smart shots on an S1000 can make a single operator setup so much easier. I could concentrate on the camera operation without worrying about the vehicle. How did you go about swapping out the A2 for the Pixhawk? Did you do it yourself or have a company do it for you?

Yeah it's one of my favourite features on Solo. Plus having smart shots on an S1000 can make a single operator setup so much easier. I could concentrate on the camera operation without worrying about the vehicle. How did you go about swapping out the A2 for the Pixhawk? Did you do it yourself or have a company do it for you?

Now, be aware that the Pixhawk 1 does not have smart shot capabilities. This is exclusive to the Solo and its companion computer. I haven't read enough on Pix 2 to know if it includes the companion computer and if it will be smart shot capable, but I assume it would be (reading up now on their website and fb page).

Edit: found this on another thread on this forum, from @Ian [P13] : "Also as the Pixhawk 2 is being sold seperate and will have companion computer options there's a possibility you'll be able to upgrade your Solo yourself in future." Or, use it on a DIY platform.

Now, be aware that the Pixhawk 1 does not have smart shot capabilities. This is exclusive to the Solo and its companion computer. I haven't read enough on Pix 2 to know if it includes the companion computer and if it will be smart shot capable, but I assume it would be (reading up now on their website and fb page).

Edit: found this on another thread on this forum, from @Ian [P13] : "Also as the Pixhawk 2 is being sold seperate and will have companion computer options there's a possibility you'll be able to upgrade your Solo yourself in future." Or, use it on a DIY platform.

Thanks Cheebs. I appreciate your input. I spoke to the guy who's going to build me a custom rig and he said that the Pixhawk 2 will have roughly the capabilities as solo. The joys of open source eh.

Reactions: cheebs
PH2 will fit to many carrier boards including from what I understand Edison computers. that would replace the onboard solo computer and with the right software smart shots

Reactions: cheebs
Thanks Cheebs. I appreciate your input. I spoke to the guy who's going to build me a custom rig and he said that the Pixhawk 2 will have roughly the capabilities as solo. The joys of open source eh.

Well yes smart shots are possible and some of dronekit can be leveraged but it will be a bunch of work to get it to be the same as the Solo in terms of software.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well yes smart shots are possible and some of dronekit can be leveraged but it will be a bunch of work to get it to be the same as the Solo in terms of software.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah that's a fair point. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as solo. I just like the functionality of it.

Yeah that's a fair point. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as solo. I just like the functionality of it.

Agreed but its not something that will be out of the box for the ph2. It will happen its just when. I use tower / mp for photogrammetry and recently setup some flights using ROI's with spline waypoints and its a pretty good for Aerial Videos. Main work will be doing up some interface and then smart shot design.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Guys, have a little faith. No project gets anywhere without some risk on the ground. Give your skills a look at what your development work can do.

Build something, try things. You will be surprised at how good your designs can be!!

(Sorry watching Hillary, feeling somewhat excitmanent)

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Guys, have a little faith. No project gets anywhere without some risk on the ground. Give your skills a look at what your development work can do.

Build something, try things. You will be surprised at how good your designs can be!!

(Sorry watching Hillary, feeling somewhat excitmanent)

I'd love to but due to my job I don't have the time to build my own. Not to me I don't have the knowledge or skills required.

My latest build has been with the Navio2/RP3 . I am hoping to soon be able to get my hands on the PH2/Edison combo. The power that dronkit is giving us is great.

Man, I really wish 3dr wasn't giving up on producing new drones for us. It would've been really nice to have a heavy lifter with smart shots for less than an arm and a leg.

There aren't smart shots in the P1; supposedly the P2 offers this. It's not about the smart shots, it's about having a "smarter" drone that is a heavy lifter with the "feel" of a Solo.

It's not about the smart shots, it's about having a "smarter" drone that is a heavy lifter with the "feel" of a Solo.
And on that note; Stand By.. Should be able to show something in 2-3 weeks..:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle