Penn Cove Waters are No Place for Solo: Add Me to the List

The cables altitude will also drift day to day and even possibly hour to hour due to the weather since it's using the barometer. It's always good to slowly pre-fly the cable, especially if it's something you've saved previous and are coming back to. It may not be exactly the same. I try to leave at least 20 feet clearance in all axis, and that seems to be working pretty well. One cable changed by about 10' vertically when a storm was rolling in over several hours. The next day it was back to normal.

So here's the latest from the kind gentleman at 3DR Support:

"I've received authorization for the RMA.
I'll transfer the case to the customer service department for further assistance, they should contact you within 1 - 2 business days with your RMA details."

As I've not dealt with them, can anyone translate? Look like I'll be sending the bird in for them to take a look?

Brought solo out of the rice today, a bit of moisture still present. Took plate just below battery off and removed GPS to dry separately. Again, not holding out any hope that this bird will fly again, but that it may be a good source of parts.

On a pretty positive note, the GoPro looked pretty dry, so I stuck a battery in it. Powered up like nothing happened. Removed battery, and stuck back in rice, gonna wait at least another day before sticking lens back on there to try some shooting.
GoPro will take longer to dry then Solo!
cause it's all closed up, no air to get in. Open your GP like this :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
let it dry out for a long time.
week or more lot's of GP's worked after submerged.
If you decide to sell anything, let me know.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: SARDG
So here's the latest from the kind gentleman at 3DR Support:

"I've received authorization for the RMA.
I'll transfer the case to the customer service department for further assistance, they should contact you within 1 - 2 business days with your RMA details."

As I've not dealt with them, can anyone translate? Look like I'll be sending the bird in for them to take a look?
Sounds likely you'll be getting a new Solo! They'll be sending you a prepaid US or FedEx label to print. Ship it back them, they send another to you - it's unlikely they're just interested in taking a look as the logs show exactly what happened.

The latest from the super folks at 3DR Custy and Tech Support:

It was determined that system error was ultimately responsible for the evening dip in Penn Cove two weeks back.

They've sent me an RMA # and a prepaid fedex label and a packing list of things to send back to be replaced to include Solo, Gimbal and GoPro.

Feels kinda like a pipe dream that a company is this good to its customer base.

Despite the unwavering support from the company, and the good vibes from this community, this was a hard lesson learned, teaching me to fly with more caution, not like Solo has nine lives.

3DR has requested the bird and all components back. Otherwise I'd be happy to contribute.

...Despite the unwavering support from the company, and the good vibes from this community, this was a hard lesson learned, teaching me to fly with more caution, not like Solo has nine lives.
I, on the other hand, am too cautious and haven't flown over water yet.

I, on the other hand, am too cautious and haven't flown over water yet.

I remember the first time I went feet wet with one of my FPV planes - scary, and exhilarating. Going back and watching the GoPro footage was pretty super too.

I don't even think twice about it now - fixed wing or multi rotor. Its one of those impossible perspectives that sUAS gives us access too - zooming out over the water.

Just for kicks, here's a video from years past with some of those first fixed wing FPV flights out over water.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I Solo half it flits are over saltwater... No rust yet.......

Hi K....
Hi Steve... It's actually rather difficult to avoid water around here, so sooner or later I'll have to take the plunge... so to speak.

...Just for kicks, here's a video from years past with some of those first fixed wing FPV flights out over water.
Footage quite a bit different from rotary wing, eh? Nice crashes, too. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig