Pano mode question

No, because there is no way to aim the camera "up", so it will miss the sky directly overhead. Photoshop using the "content aware" feature and it can fill in the missing sky pretty decently most of the time.

I just got my 3DR and here are a few test panoramas using the photoshop technique that PdxSteve mentioned. The first one, required little PS as I imported an image taken of the sky after landing and pointing the Gopro straight up to catch the sky.

The sky's the limit from 101-199 Front St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA

Avila Cliffs from 1501 Cave Landing Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA

Aerial View of Avila Beach Pier from 79 Avila Beach Pier, Avila Beach, CA 93424, USA

Avila Beach Park & Aquarium from 595 Front St, Avila Beach, CA 93424, USA

Reactions: carpy and RichWest
I just got my 3DR and here are a few test panoramas using the photoshop technique that PdxSteve mentioned. The first one, required little PS as I imported an image taken of the sky after landing and pointing the Gopro straight up to catch the sky.

The sky's the limit from 101-199 Front St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA

Avila Cliffs from 1501 Cave Landing Rd, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA

Aerial View of Avila Beach Pier from 79 Avila Beach Pier, Avila Beach, CA 93424, USA

Avila Beach Park & Aquarium from 595 Front St, Avila Beach, CA 93424, USA

Hi Nick. Nice work. About how many photos are you taking at 90 degrees, 60 and 30? I've been messing with it but my 360s always seem to have a curved hemisphere. Any clue what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Rob and Rolo

Hi Nick. Nice work. About how many photos are you taking at 90 degrees, 60 and 30? I've been messing with it but my 360s always seem to have a curved hemisphere. Any clue what the heck I'm doing wrong?

Rob and Rolo
Hi Rob and Rolo. I take about 10 shots per row for a total of about 30 shots. It is probably overkill but i want to make sure I have ample overlap. I am not sure what you mean by "curved hemisphere" but if you mean the distortion of the wide angle lens on the Gopro, the PTGui software should detect it and correct for it in the stitching process. Can you describe where in your workflow you are having issues ? What Gopro are you using ?

Hi Rob and Rolo. I take about 10 shots per row for a total of about 30 shots. It is probably overkill but i want to make sure I have ample overlap. I am not sure what you mean by "curved hemisphere" but if you mean the distortion of the wide angle lens on the Gopro, the PTGui software should detect it and correct for it in the stitching process. Can you describe where in your workflow you are having issues ? What Gopro are you using ?

Hi Nick. Sorry, the Rob and Rolo was a link to roundme.com and an example. :)

Dave

Oops, sorry Dave @carpy ! I just checked it out and it looks like you are missing coverage both below and above. The horizon will be curved if there are missing layers. You may need to take shots at an angle below 30 degrees as this shows that 30 is not enough to cover below. As for the top you need to use photoshop to fill in the sky where the solo gimbal does not allow the Gopro to shoot upwards beyond 90 degrees.

Oops, sorry Dave @carpy ! I just checked it out and it looks like you are missing coverage both below and above. The horizon will be curved if there are missing layers. You may need to take shots at an angle below 30 degrees as this shows that 30 is not enough to cover below. As for the top you need to use photoshop to fill in the sky where the solo gimbal does not allow the Gopro to shoot upwards beyond 90 degrees.

Thanks Nick! I will give it another try.

Wow, I finally figured it out. I'm using Kolor Autopano Giga and didn't realize that auto crop was on and I was rendering a 360x129 instead of a full sphere 360x180. Thanks for your help Nick.

Wow, I finally figured it out. I'm using Kolor Autopano Giga and didn't realize that auto crop was on and I was rendering a 360x129 instead of a full sphere 360x180. Thanks for your help Nick.
Nice! Good to hear. Autopano should have a way to flip the image so the sky is in the middle and you can use photoshop to paint the sky hole. Then flip it back for a full 360x180 coverage.

Hey,

i have some trouble with the Solo Panorama Mode and LR.
I use the Panorama Mode and make some shots, later i want to stitch them together with LR CC and always there come an "Unknown error".
If i take shots with the GoPro without the Solo i can stitch them together without problems. But the photos of the GoPro in the Solo 3DR always makes problems.

Anybody can please help me?

Hey,

i have some trouble with the Solo Panorama Mode and LR.
I use the Panorama Mode and make some shots, later i want to stitch them together with LR CC and always there come an "Unknown error".
If i take shots with the GoPro without the Solo i can stitch them together without problems. But the photos of the GoPro in the Solo 3DR always makes problems.

Anybody can please help me?

Are both taken with the same resolution and same FOV?

Same resolution and same fov... today I'm going to play with the settings and hope i find the mistake.. I'm going crazy.. urgh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig