Panasonic GH4 gimbal

Reaction score
I've been looking for a way to mount something better than a GoPro since purchasing my Solo. I settled on a GH4 because I can use it for a variety of other things. could we adapt something like the Yuneec gimbal to the solo or is my best bet to purchase a Tornado and having two separate classes of drones for my work? I like the Solo because I can bring it hiking relatively easy and it's quick to set up. I wouldn't mind keeping it for that purpose and going bigger for other projects but I was curious of its potential.

1.25lbs although with a Yuneec gimbal you're at 3.5lbs total weight. Having two drones and 8 batteries I would be willing to take a shorter flight with the GH4 in certain scenarios.

1.25lbs although with a Yuneec gimbal you're at 3.5lbs total weight. Having two drones and 8 batteries I would be willing to take a shorter flight with the GH4 in certain scenarios.
Yes, so would I. And I just happen to have a GH4.

Yuneec is Android based so I'm not sure the exact hurdles and limitations but I would love to find out. In the Solo mods Facebook group I was looking at a PWM board that uses the accessory port. The GH4 would have limited control but enough to get some work out of it.

Lots of DIY work would be required. You might get it to work through the expansion port with some way of controlling the yaw and pitch rc
but since the smart shot gimbal code was never released then getting it to behave like a solo gimbal is out.
For now anyway. I am building a DIY frame that will soon have a PH2 and Edison onboard computer. now finding the code to run a generic gimbal like the solo gimbal will be the key

I would be cool with stable video at a fixed point if I could control the camera in some way, shape, or form. Like you say it's a lot of work and the Solo may not be the best test dummy when there's ready made options available in the market.

If they ever make that Black Magic Micro in 4K it will become the drone standard
that thing accepts RC inputs to control camera functions

yep that is the same form factor camera but that is the studio not the micro
it requires and external recorder.
by the time you add that to the weight and power mix it sort of disqualifies it for Drone

I guess we'll wait for a product like the Atomos Ninja Star to be 4k compatible, I had thought that it was originally but no such luck.

Get another radio, put another rx on solo, get a generic gimbal, wire the control to the new rx, use the extra radio to control the gimbal and camera, use the raspberry mod for camera control.
Raspberry Pi • View topic - Triggering the Camera from GPIO pins

Another way is to replace the stock radio and rx with a new radio/rx with more channels, use the extra channels for gimbal and camera control. Same raspberry trigger.

but then you lose the thing solo is uniquely famous for
in spite of all the copy cat tries, no one matches the onboard computers ability to integrate the gimbal to the FC and do smart shots
Look for the move to DIY with solo brains.
the only real obstacle is 3DR will not release the gimbal and rtoo code

but then you lose the thing solo is uniquely famous for
in spite of all the copy cat tries, no one matches the onboard computers ability to integrate the gimbal to the FC and do smart shots
Look for the move to DIY with solo brains.
the only real obstacle is 3DR will not release the gimbal and rtoo code
Just the opposite, with new mod, you add control to roll and yaw gimbal, also zoom and focus the camera.

but how are you doing smart shots?
Same thing as the dji developer did, programming. The other guys can't do splines due to fc computing resources, not so with raspberry, I have opencv Incorporated into camera control for face recognition.

interesting
I never found the DJI smart shots to be that smooth
they are a close simulation but just not that good

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado