Optical Flow

Reaction score
I know this is a very big question considering we have to wait months even for an update however does anyone have or heard of the timeframe for the things like the ballistic parachute or the optical flow sensor and when it will be coming out to the public.

Do you know where the functionality/performance/promise of the optical flow sensor for Solo is described?

The functionality is so it will be using the ground to fly so you don't have to just rely on GPS the performance is not vital but extremely useful for flying if there is not a good GPS signal (and so far unless I am at a beach or open field the GPS has not been completely great yet). I also have been flying manual for a while now and love it and mainly fly manual now but it is nice to be able to hold position if you let go of the sticks on the controller for some reason. It was promised simply at NAB when it was released they had a prototype on one of their solos. There is a page to show this right here:
Built To Evolve | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

It's unlikely to see either the optical flow or parachute until 2016.

The optical flow on the Solo is already supported in Arducopter in reality, so it's likely a question of priorities for 3DR I'd guess. I do know it uses LIDAR not SONAR so will be more useful than the DJI implementation.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
When released, will the optical flow stuff handle Trees ok? Or will it only work well over open ground or indoor floors? I want to do a lot of canopy flying and getting between trees.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If I lose GPS (which has happened twice) I want to know if the "backup" system is up to the task or if I basically need to make sure I am as close to the drone as possible and just fly manual.

I'm guessing the parachute will not make the cut since the FAA says it has been illegal to drop ANYTHING from the air since the Wright Bros. The govt drops all kinds of neat things in other countries though, go figure.

When released, will the optical flow stuff handle Trees ok? Or will it only work well over open ground or indoor floors? I want to do a lot of canopy flying and getting between trees.

If I lose GPS (which has happened twice) I want to know if the "backup" system is up to the task or if I basically need to make sure I am as close to the drone as possible and just fly manual.
It's not a "backup" for anything. It adds the ability to fly in areas where there is no GPS as if you DID have GPS. Like inside a building.
I am under the impression it is to be used close to the ground but I'm not sure.

If you want to fly through trees you better practice in manual and forget about using GPS. You might need a better FPV camera setup also. Drones are designed to fly over trees- not amongst them.:cool:

Reactions: Ryan Farnes
So is this Optical flow made to be use indoor.. And Outdoor??
Every time I seen one used on the Solo it was always indoors where there is no Wind..?
I'm just thinking that if you were to use the Optical flow outside you would get a lot of Drift..?

I know this is a very big question considering we have to wait months even for an update however does anyone have or heard of the timeframe for the things like the ballistic parachute or the optical flow sensor and when it will be coming out to the public.
Solo should have been released with an optical flow if you ask me, I'm only worried about two things one being price because the gimbal in my opinion is overpriced, two being that the battery life as it is with the camera gimbal isn't already very good so what would that mean with a optical flow sensor.

Reactions: Saturn13
If I'm not mistaken ... I think the Optical Flow measures from the Solo to the ground..?

I was under the impression optical flow basically takes a high frame-rate image and looks for the movement of features to determine how the vehicle is moving, they don't determine vertical distance at all, with sonar and LIDAR being used for that. Some optical flow sensors also include sonar for distance, but the optical flow part is strictly to determine horizontal velocity.

Reactions: nexxypoo
Optical flow systems (so far) only work a couple meters from the ground. Even hovering just above a tree canopy won't work because the natural movement of leaves in the wind will throw it off.

Optical flow technology is the same as what is used in a computer mouse. Most systems also include sonar or laser finders for distance.

I was under the impression optical flow basically takes a high frame-rate image and looks for the movement of features to determine how the vehicle is moving, they don't determine vertical distance at all, with sonar and LIDAR being used for that. Some optical flow sensors also include sonar for distance, but the optical flow part is strictly to determine horizontal velocity.
That is true. In the case of Solo (and other UAV's in it;s calss) they also have a sensitive barometeric pressure sensor and algorithm that can control altitude. The Manual/Alt-Hold function in Solo uses this...

That said, it is my (limited) understanding is that the unit being worked on for Solo uses Lidar.

Reactions: Maddog
Optical flow systems (so far) only work a couple meters from the ground. Even hovering just above a tree canopy won't work because the natural movement of leaves in the wind will throw it off.

Optical flow technology is the same as what is used in a computer mouse. Most systems also include sonar or laser finders for distance.
Thanks guys....
I never really knew how the Optical flow really worked!!
I always thought that it calculated the distance from the ground to the solo in a vertical line to determine where the Solo would stay..
To bad they dont provide more information on the Obtical Flow just to give us an ideal how this thing is gonna work...
There's seems like there's more questions than answers because there not giving out to many Details..

That is true. In the case of Solo (and other UAV's in it;s calss) they also have a sensitive barometeric pressure sensor and algorithm that can control altitude. The Manual/Alt-Hold function in Solo uses this...

That said, it is my (limited) understanding is that the unit being worked on for Solo uses Lidar.

Thanks for the video Earl.... It gave me a better understanding :)

Thanks for the video Earl.... It gave me a better understanding :)
Notice what it's for, and how long ago it was.... It connects to the Pixhawk (Solo has Pixhawk2) and runs on Arducopter (so does Solo) :rolleyes: Takes a while to go from prototype to product, especially as an add on :D.

Word has it that it has more applications than just indoor flight...

3D Robotics on Twitter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44