newbie with 3DR drone

Reaction score
Hey all,

just took advantage of the Bestbuy deal and got my drone, been wanting to get into the drone market for quite a while now, for the price bestbuy offer its too hard to pass up.

so as soon as i got home, charged up both batteries and controller, setup my old trust Android phone and i drove to an empty parking lot and and fire up the solo, MY GOD its the most fun experiences i had this year, it fly super stable, it shoot up to 150 ft with ease (reach the max attitude as well, hit warning signal) fly back down, do some cruise around the parking lot and call it a day after both batteries used up. fun day, then went home, check my gopro video footage, love HOW steady the video were.

after i recharge another battery, i got cocky and i tried to fly indoor (even tho the manual highly not recommend it)
yup, the worse happened, crashed into the hallway and straight down at full throttle..

snap the shell, drone still work, but going to need replacement shell. yes all props are goner as well
I regretted my action, but it would be something that gonna happened sooner or later (always wanted to fly a drone indoor)

anyway, i felt like i am going to have a bit more crash here and there as i learn, what are the site that provide cheap OEM shell? unlike DJI parts seems easy to come by, hopefully 3DR does as well

i did google search it doesn't seems that hard to replace the shell, the most tricky part seems like its the glued in antenna.

TIA

If you need a shell and props, that old one becomes your parts Solo and you buy another Solo to (VERY CAREFULLY LEARN TO) fly - assuming the BB price returns to $300. Parts are normally too expensive - if you can find them!

thanks guys, i think i will keep the solo as beater until i am confident enough to get a Mavic Pro, really scare to crash a $1k drone.

so i fix up my current shell with zip tie and duct tape, look really ugly but i used enough duct tape to fix the issue, took it up the snowy mountain this morning and it was a blast to fly.

great forum i am looking to learn a lot from you all

Thanks!

The broken shell with duct tape does not have the strength to hold the payload (camera+gimbal+drone). Just go buy a 450 frame from eBay, and move all the solo components over the 450 frame.

alright quick update, took my drone to Horseshoe bend in Arizona, GORGEOUS VIEW!!! love my solo a lot, really steady, not butter smooth as the DJI P4 pilot near by but i really really love my drone (even tho its patch by duct tape)

i had purchased over 8 pairs of prop and 6 additional batteries on my duct taped solo, awesome and solid so far, never had to replace a single prop (always keep in solo backpack).

anyway, as my road trip continue i stopped at a near by canyon and i set up my solo again for another flight,

nightmare happened... IT FLYAWAY!!!

i had to fight with my controller to gain back control, it sway so much, in the end once i gain back control i force a hard landing before it cause damage to my surronding,

were there a GPS glitch? or prop going bad? GPS showing 10 signal and wind wasn't hard at all.

should i contact 3DR for the bug?

Since you say you were flying around a canyon, it could have lost gps and automatically reverted to manual. Even with a little wind it will drift in manual control, and will also drift with any forward momentum not compensated for. You could send in the logs to 3DR and they will tell you exactly what happened.

alright quick update, took my drone to Horseshoe bend in Arizona, GORGEOUS VIEW!!! love my solo a lot, really steady, not butter smooth as the DJI P4 pilot near by but i really really love my drone (even tho its patch by duct tape)

i had purchased over 8 pairs of prop and 6 additional batteries on my duct taped solo, awesome and solid so far, never had to replace a single prop (always keep in solo backpack).

anyway, as my road trip continue i stopped at a near by canyon and i set up my solo again for another flight,

nightmare happened... IT FLYAWAY!!!

i had to fight with my controller to gain back control, it sway so much, in the end once i gain back control i force a hard landing before it cause damage to my surronding,

were there a GPS glitch? or prop going bad? GPS showing 10 signal and wind wasn't hard at all.

should i contact 3DR for the bug?
The wind pattern can be tricky. There are thermal and uplift/downdrift human eyes . can't detect.

Also flying inside the canyon is like flying among tall buildings, the GPS signals are bounced, have you watched the hdop values.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig