Newbie issue: stuck in tree - any tips?

Reaction score
So, yeah, first flight and stuck in tree. It's about 40ft up, can't really get to it, and still reachable via the controller. I feel like if I could get the motors to fire up, it would dislodge itself, but the remote won't launch the drone as it's says "Calibrating sensors". Is there any way to ask the solo to dislodge itself?

Yes, i've learned a lesson here.

not likely, you could try switching to manual but doubtful
need to rope it with a bolo or grab someone with a ladder

Thanks. I've tried to switch it to manual, but I don't think it's going into manual mode/it doesn't seem to do anything when I do that & hold down fly.

fly would switch it back out of manual.
switch to manual, don't hit fly and see if you can get it to arm
doubtful though
I would be working a bolo or ladder

If you have a laptop, I believe you can do this, possibly with a phone using qground control or maybe andropilot....

Connect to solo then go into the parameter list, find the one for pre-arm checks, set it to all disabled, hit write or send, be sure to set the mode to one of the non gps modes, ie fly manual, etc, then try to arm via holding the left stick down and right for 5 seconds...

Unfortunately your best bet however is going to be climbing up that tree or getting a ladder to get up there. Just be safe and don't go falling out of it.

I did this with my Traxxas Alias, and just got someone that was really light to go up with a ladder and get it.

My Syma X5c spent 4 months in a tree 60 ft up. Came down in a wind storm. Still works.

If it was my solo, I'd hire a tree cutting service or something to go up and get it.

Maybe I should reconsider my advice about calling the fire department...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

lol, thank you all for the suggestions. I didn't have a laptop with me, but I need to learn about mission planner & motor testing. I I tried the fire department, but couldn't get anyone on the phone without calling 911, and I didn't feel right doing that. I also learned that when the battery is about to die, it beeps really really loud. Loud enough that I was afraid it was going to keep all the neighbors up! Thankfully that stopped.

I eventually hired a guy to climb the tree enough to get close enough with a 20ft pvc pole to get it down. Man that thing was stuck on the branch, it had to be pushed upwards to come free -- no amount of shaking the branches worked. On it's way down, it bounced off a few branches and then hit soft ground. I think it might be ok, I didn't have time to test it out, but I did ---

- Take a good look at it, looks like two of the propellers are chipped, will need to replace them. The gopro and gimbal look good.
- The plastic piece on the top, in front of the battery, is a bit off. I have to try to reseat that. I think it snapped back into place nicely.
- Test to see if it powered on, which it did. I didn't connect the remote to it or anything. I think it ran through the standard startup sequence.

Aside from replacing the propellers, how do I know how good or not the solo is? Obviously I could go [to a wide wide open space] and try to fly it, but is there any good self-testing I can do at home/indoors?

Reactions: Solo Keith
The same thing happened to me this afternoon. I used three 10ft poles taped together to knock it out. The funny thing is how it got in the tree. Loss of control. I beleive this thing has a mind of its own.
OTH, is there anyone that likes to look at logs? I got Error Failsafe Fence (and watch me fly into a tree). If the tree had not been there I probably would have never found it the way it was scooting off. Looks like the compass freaked out too according to the log analyzer in MP.

Fishing pole/rod
30+lb test line
50lb leader
Lead weight

Cast and cast until you snag the limb its caught on and shake the hell out of it.

Has worked very well for me in the past.

If the drone stuck in the tree, don't run the motor or you will get your motor/ESC burnt.

To retrieve the drone, get two persons holding a big bed sheet to catch the drone, get a thick and long rope , tie a heavy wrench to one end, throw the wrench until it lead the rope to the tree branch where the drone stuck. Shake the branch until the drone fall free.

Easier way is replacing the rope with thick PVC pipe, use pipe connectors to link the pipe together. However, you can carry the rope and wrench in your car but not the PVC pipe .

So, yeah, first flight and stuck in tree. It's about 40ft up, can't really get to it, and still reachable via the controller. I feel like if I could get the motors to fire up, it would dislodge itself, but the remote won't launch the drone as it's says "Calibrating sensors". Is there any way to ask the solo to dislodge itself?

Yes, i've learned a lesson here.

call a tree trimmer. that is how I got mine down. not cheap but cheaper than a new drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig