New Sony camera only with Site Scan?

it is a BIG question .
WHY 3DR DOESN'T USE BETTER CAMERA ON SOLO ?
many people interested to use SONY or other cameras on their Solo's but 3DR don't do anything.

Reactions: aaronp
it is a BIG question .
WHY 3DR DOESN'T USE BETTER CAMERA ON SOLO ?
many people interested to use SONY or other cameras on their Solo's but 3DR don't do anything.
i agree, for my opinion like gopro are currently use on solo which sony action cam more poweful than gopro.

I personally think 2.7K is about as much as I want to manage... The files are huge and I end up exporting in 1080

Escadrone looks like it will do the job ... Concern is availability in the US, shipping, currency conversion; and above all the language barrier.

The US seems to be behind our friends across the pond ... We are a consumer state and marketing efforts are focused on just that. I'm hoping we will see some camera and gimbal upgrades with support in the near future ... Perhaps after site scan gets off the ground

like this sony cam 4k Sony X1000V / X1000VR 4K Action Cam with Wi-Fi & GPS this cam features is great like steadyshot so the footage becomes smoother plus noise reduction. if someone who can manage to redesign the gimbal and develop sony app it would be next whole new level. honestly speaking no one can afford those site scan except a big or massive construction company.

I personally think 2.7K is about as much as I want to manage... The files are huge and I end up exporting in 1080

Escadrone looks like it will do the job ... Concern is availability in the US, shipping, currency conversion; and above all the language barrier.

The US seems to be behind our friends across the pond ... We are a consumer state and marketing efforts are focused on just that. I'm hoping we will see some camera and gimbal upgrades with support in the near future ... Perhaps after site scan gets off the ground

$1,700 est shipped to US with gimbal and daughter board. Shipping mid may if all test is good. I'm on the list as serial #1 to the US. Not sure that a good thing but I'm ready to try it out. It is defiantly more pricing but worth having it this season being while the only other option will be towards August with the more pricy sitescan

like this sony cam 4k Sony X1000V / X1000VR 4K Action Cam with Wi-Fi & GPS this cam features is great like steadyshot so the footage becomes smoother plus noise reduction. if someone who can manage to redesign the gimbal and develop sony app it would be next whole new level. honestly speaking no one can afford those site scan except a big or massive construction company.
Right now I don't think a big/ massive company would buy it. You could do a lot more with other options and resources. I actually see it more for the smaller firms that have a specific tasks for inspections.

i think it is better choice than sitescan
http://escadrone.com/solo-mapper/?lang=en

Pedram, i disagree. escadrone doesn't come with processing software (cloud or other)? you still have to pay for cloud based or desktop software. and even then, the workflow won't be automated. and the gimbal is only 2-axis and its servo based, not a brushless motor. i know 3-axis is overkill for mapping, i'm just pointing out the differences.

if all you want is the camera + gimbal + arduino it costs $1600 usd. which is a pretty penny for that camera and a 2-axis servo gimbal.

Pedram, i disagree. escadrone doesn't come with processing software (cloud or other)? you still have to pay for cloud based or desktop software. and even then, the workflow won't be automated. and the gimbal is only 2-axis and its servo based, not a brushless motor. i know 3-axis is overkill for mapping, i'm just pointing out the differences.

if all you want is the camera + gimbal + arduino it costs $1600 usd. which is a pretty penny for that camera and a 2-axis servo gimbal.

please tell me what is the problem of installed gimbal on escadrone solo mapper for mapping? ( I am newcomer in drone world and looking for a RTF drone for mapping)

about software I should say many users have their own software permanently and no need to pay extra charges.

about Escadrone solo mapper price however it is more expensive than you calculated but do you know any seller that sales this combination (Ready To Fly) for 2000$ rather than1600$ I will buy it immediately.

better cameras are about better(larger) imaging sensors, better codecs, and better lens quality. Filesizes dont need to be larger,,in fact they can be smaller than GP...

please tell me what is the problem of installed gimbal on escadrone solo mapper for mapping? ( I am newcomer in drone world and looking for a RTF drone for mapping)

about software I should say many users have their own software permanently and no need to pay extra charges.

about Escadrone solo mapper price however it is more expensive than you calculated but do you know any seller that sales this combination (Ready To Fly) for 2000$ rather than1600$ I will buy it immediately.
The $1600 is for the mapper camera, daughter board and camera to be added to your current Solo. The Mapper Solo is more. The gimbal is not the best and may prove to have weakness. Nevertheless I'm buying one to get the 20mp on the Solo. I'm still playing between Drone Deploy and Event38 cloud services. I might consider pix4d again but found it cumbersome to get the results I'm looking for. It might all fail in the end willing to invest a few more before consider a whole new platform with extended flight times, like the Matrix-E with a pix controller

The $1600 is for the mapper camera, daughter board and camera to be added to your current Solo. The Mapper Solo is more. The gimbal is not the best and may prove to have weakness. Nevertheless I'm buying one to get the 20mp on the Solo. I'm still playing between Drone Deploy and Event38 cloud services. I might consider pix4d again but found it cumbersome to get the results I'm looking for. It might all fail in the end willing to invest a few more before consider a whole new platform with extended flight times, like the Matrix-E with a pix controller

i have not tried autodesk recap, but i have tried dronedeploy, ddms, photoscan pro and pix4d.

for cloud based i like dronedeploy and for desktop i like pix4d.

i think as long as the gimbal on the escadrone is of good quality, you shouldn't have any issues with it. servo based gimbals are tried and true and for mapping it just needs to be stable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burkeam
effective payload is 700g~. i don't know what adding 700g would to for the flight time. for comparison, the gopro+gimbal is about 390g~.

Well, real-world flight times is already marginal with the stock gimbal + GoPro. Not clear that practical durations could be achieved with nearly twice that payload. Perhaps 3DR will release an enterprise-grade platform for their new venture...

$1,700 est shipped to US with gimbal and daughter board. Shipping mid may if all test is good. I'm on the list as serial #1 to the US. Not sure that a good thing but I'm ready to try it out. It is defiantly more pricing but worth having it this season being while the only other option will be towards August with the more pricy sitescan

Sigh...

The more I look the more I like. Not sure if I have the stomach to order before reading an actual review

Given 3dr's relationship with GoPro I wouldn't see them jumping ship to another manufacturer. However, I did find it ironic that at NAB, guess who's booth was next to GoPro?...it was a three character company name and it wasn't 3dr.

Given 3dr's relationship with GoPro I wouldn't see them jumping ship to another manufacturer. However, I did find it ironic that at NAB, guess who's booth was next to GoPro?...it was a three character company name and it wasn't 3dr.
At a show "next to" is totally different then" shared with".

In my view the biggest issue with Solo is the lacking of geotagged images thus there must be more options then Gopro. A else possibility is to have your Solo app auto sync post mission photos. 3DR has chosen to make this app a big feature in SiteScan @ $6k a year. Cheaper if you BUY NOW. This software is only compatible with two cameras. The GP4 and Qx1. The software does NOT have camera profiles so get ready to buy a unmodified Gopro while waiting for the Qx1. For the $6k and camera cost I could pix controlled quad with a 45 minute fight time and equipped geotagging lens camera on gimbal.

I would gladly pay for the app as this issue is huge for me. Maybe $100. Going back to DJI isn't a easy choice for me. My needs have been outgrowing the Solo and I thought SiteScan would be a new beginning for me with 3DR. It's not.

side note...i gave recap360 a try this weekend. i like it. processing was fast and the UI is nice and straightforward. you can register multiple coordinates in multiple images as well as set scale. i'm going to continue to evaluate it against ddms and dronedeploy.

please keep me informed. This coming weekend I'll be able to send them both identical projects

side note...i gave recap360 a try this weekend. i like it. processing was fast and the UI is nice and straightforward. you can register multiple coordinates in multiple images as well as set scale. i'm going to continue to evaluate it against ddms and dronedeploy.

Frank ... I installed recap and have gotten as far as uploading to the cloud for processing. The UI is very simplistic ... I have not played with coordinates as I have not found the option ... I have the "Ultimate" version which I believe contains a the "Fly" features ... Can you provide a command drill down for me to get to the geo features?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus