New Solo Owners

Reaction score
For those of you who are the proud parents of a new Solo, congrats. For those of you who are fortunate to have found this forum, welcome aboard. I know when you open the box, Solo does not come with an owners manual, but rather a quick start guide. It has good information, but it is a far cry from what the owners manual contains. We all highly suggest you go to 3DR's website, and download the manual. Then I suggest you read it through, and then read it through again. This is before even flying (even though you are busting at the seams to fly right off). If you have trouble finding the manual on 3DR, learn to use the "search forums" option at the top of this page. You can use it like any other search, and the link to the manual can be found. You can also most likely find an answer to your questions or problems, from past posts. If not, the folks on here are great about helping out. So, do yourself a big favor and become familiar with these tools. Next to the people on here, they can become your best friend for learning all the in's and out's of Solo, and can help in becoming a safe and knowledgeable flyer. Good luck to all you newbies, and for those of you reading this, again, welcome, and fly safe and sane. I dedicate this post to SARDG....;):rolleyes:.

...I dedicate this post to SARDG....;):rolleyes:.
Wise guy! :p

Okay... I'm tough on noobs for not having the initiative to use the overly simple search functions, but it's easy to do, demonstrates character and renders immediate results. No one is entitled to anything more than that.

Reactions: Chuck
Very well said! Being a new owner since August 2016, this forum has tons of excellent info hat I found extremely helpful for myself, almost on daily basis. Searching this forum will be your best friend!! Thanks to all who contribute!

I also have found many answers on this forum but was avoiding the search as I do not feel comfortable with my level of experience to make a successful search. Not now. I will give it a go.

I also have found many answers on this forum but was avoiding the search as I do not feel comfortable with my level of experience to make a successful search. Not now. I will give it a go.
Trust me, Kevin. It is simple and you really can't mess it up. Try it, you will like it.....:)

Researched solo found it was the best for me to get right now.Just picked mine up at the local Best Buy.$299 and came with extra battery,gimble and extra props.Sweet deal.Waiting for a Go Pro now so I didn't install the gimble yet (as I know it has to calibrate).Flew it the first time today that was a really good feeling.Ive flown cheaper toy models but this thing is awesome.Only picked up between 6 and 8 satellites so was real careful.Around allot of trees here.Ive been reading allot of the manual as well as online videos.Do you suggest I do any mods since most of my area are pine trees?Antenna booster maybe and any suggestions.Also does anyone know if any build updates have been done to the solo lately that mine may have like wifi card updates or anything else since the solo first came out?

Thanks Pete

Welcome, Pete. I don't believe there are any updated parts on your Solo. They all pretty much came the same way. The only differences may be a Rev B gps versus a Rev A. If you are going to fly a lot around trees and other obstacles, you may want to eventually upgrade your controller antennas to something like the FPVLR Solo upgrade. A lot of us have them, and they are great. Also, you may consider the 3DR V2 gps shield, and down the road you might consider the mRobotics M8N Solo gps upgrade. You can search on the forum for all the info on these, and make up your mind what might suit you. While waiting for your camera, just keep practicing, and assign "Fly Manual" to your "A" or "B" button so you can take over in case of gps loss. Practice flying manual in a wide open area with no trees or other obstacles around, as Solo reacts different in Manual. Just take it slow and easy, and you will be fine. Again, welcome, and fly safe.

Ive got a question here.I purchased this Drone new last weekend from Best Buy.The model advertised online when I purchased it online was a model SA11A.I picked it up at the store and noticed last night on the tag on the box that my model is the SA10A.Whats the difference in the model numbers?Did I get the first design and not the second as advertised?I contacted Best Buy about it but they couldnt tell me but since it was mis advertised they refunded 10% of the purchase to be good about it I guess and also told me when it comes back into stock if within 30 days I can return it for the SA11A model if I want.I sure do want to do this if it means the SA11A is the new revision and mine is the old but I havent been able to find this out.I know my label doesnt have the 2 round circles on the label as others have posted is the rev b design.Ive also contact 3DR and waiting to hear back to see if they can tell me.

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with Rev A and Rev B. I have Rev A and my model is SA11A.
My best guess is one is filled (FCC compliance) for Canada and the other for the U.S.

I think too much worry is being given to the differences between RevA and the RevB gps on Solo. There are a lot of people on here who have had Solo from the beginning launch who are still flying just fine with the RevA. My first Solo was one of the pre-orders from the beginning of the Solo deliveries, and I flew it with the RevA just fine up until I swapped it out for the mRobotics Neo M8N just recently. I did the swap simply for the added insurance of more satellites being available. For all of you new Solo owners who are concerned about having a RevA vs a RevB, make the move and add the 3DR V2 shield. That will make all the difference in the world, whether you have a RevA or a RevB. Then later on you can decide whether or not to pull the trigger on upgrading your gps. IMHO returning Solo to where you bought it to try and get a RevB Solo may be more frustrating than it is worth. These are just my opinions, and any resemblance to the opinions to any persons dead or alive is purely coincidental.....:D

Reactions: SARDG
Contacted 3dr today.They told me the SA10A is a European built model but all is the same as he SA11A model.Had to find out as I was curious.They said usually you can tell what country it is built in by the label on the charger.

Or European model possibly Im not sure but said im good to go in the US with it

Funny. Well, if you look at the end of the documentation, you will see the FCC stuff. And the SA10A looks like Canada. Is Canada in Europe? :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig