Need a gopro alternative. The cheapest one only for FPV purpose without gimbal

Reaction score
Guys,
I need a help. I have a solo and I need a camera only for FPV purpose. I have no gimbal. So I need a camera which can use with default solo camera mount. No need to be 4k. I just need to use that for have a view of the surrounding when i'm flying. I have Alfa long range antennas. So fpv is required. What is the cheapest camera out there for my requirements ?

hero 3+ black off of eBay, probably your cheapest bet for a SURE thing.
Rick
That's a good choice. I thought it too. But all are used. So we can't guarantee the quality of the product. no ? Can we find brand new 3+ ?

New ones can still be found, but for the price you would pay for one, I would get a 4 black used. I have 2 of them and they are usually in the 125 ish range. It is a very versatile camera for cheap.YMMV
Rick

Reactions: chanu1993
New ones can still be found, but for the price you would pay for one, I would get a 4 black used. I have 2 of them and they are usually in the 125 ish range. It is a very versatile camera for cheap.YMMV
Rick
Did you get 4 black used ? How is the product quality ? I was checking in YI camera.
GitHub - kellyschrock/3drsolo_xiaomi: Files related to using the Xiaomi Yi camera on the 3DR Solo
Anyway if I can get gopro 4 black for $125, that's ok.
But here my purpose is only for seeing where I am via smartphone :)
that's why i was looking for a cheaper camera just for FPV.
Because this is not my drone for photography.

I got mine used. They are great cameras, very easy to use. I have found that I use them more than I thought I would. Vacations and such. I got my first one from craigslist for 90.00 from a guy that needed to move it fast. it works awesome, no issues what so ever. I think if you go somewhere you can hold one, like a pawn shop, you will find the build quality to be outstanding. the knock offs, not so much. good luck, give it time and the right deal will come along. the bare ones on ebay usually sell in the 125 range, sometimes less. I have a second with a bunch of accessories that are helpful off the solo.
Rick

I got mine used. They are great cameras, very easy to use. I have found that I use them more than I thought I would. Vacations and such. I got my first one from craigslist for 90.00 from a guy that needed to move it fast. it works awesome, no issues what so ever. I think if you go somewhere you can hold one, like a pawn shop, you will find the build quality to be outstanding. the knock offs, not so much. good luck, give it time and the right deal will come along. the bare ones on ebay usually sell in the 125 range, sometimes less. I have a second with a bunch of accessories that are helpful off the solo.
Rick
Thanks for the advice buddy. you are helpful. I will check some good offers :)

I'm a cheaper alternative kind of guy, but take the advice above and go GoPro. Yes, there are good clone cameras out there for less money, but the Solo was designed from the ground up to work with Solo, and lots of clones rumored to work with Solo don't. Also, there's great support for and from GoPro, along with firmware updates. The GoPro app is also pretty good.

goPro has SOLO in mind for camera support???? it was the camera of choice because trendy popularity- the GoPro should have been packaged with the drone instead of leaving people relying on hacks to outfit another camera. still the camera of choice for ease of use but support is not much longer available except through sites like these where people are holding on to their investments.
this whole idea of the solo and gopro- is like selling a person a triple play package for internet phone and TV and they don't have any devices to use the internet for....
I'm new to the game and have researched a lot on the SOLO and it still just as good as most other drones for the money- currently-although I hope it's not just a short lived resurrected device that will lose interest based on unavailability of support outside the DIY hacker community

you may be unaware of the level of community work that is going on, Everything from canbus escs, optical flow, object avoidance, new flight controllers, carrier boards, solo IMX6 transplants into larger frames is all going on right now, Just not here as much as on facebook, I know not a fan of facebook, but there is a lot going on.

I think you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. The "hacker community" is what will keep this bird current. You can get more current quad copters, with somewhat better video capabilities. But what you will not get with them is the modding community that exists with the SOLO. Will it last for ever? obviously not. But, I can fly my SOLO, shoot video, play around with mods, have a blast for a fraction of what a DJI would have cost me. I'm good with that. Future wise, I will continue to try to keep my bird as current as is possible, without spending huge amounts of money. I like the way it handles, I like the way it flies, I like the size and lastly, not that it matters much but I like the way it looks. I think that you might want to re-evaluate what your quad copter needs are, it sounds to me like the SOLO may not be your best choice. Just sayin'
Rick

not trying to build up hype- I recently purchased a SOLO for the very fact of why it exists and is affordable- it will take people in forums and anyone adapting to manufacture items for it to continue- that's just the facts
I'm waiting to find I can no longer use my iphone or even android because of a OS update the crashes the app- with that said.... anyone find any use for a working GPS navigation running off WindowsCE like the Mio C310.... luckily the microwave still works for me to heat up my coffee while I continue to look- LOL

I have a Eken 9, it fits the mount, HDMI out works, video has about a 1/4 second delay, ok if you're not trying to race.

Guys,
I need a help. I have a solo and I need a camera only for FPV purpose. I have no gimbal. So I need a camera which can use with default solo camera mount. No need to be 4k. I just need to use that for have a view of the surrounding when i'm flying. I have Alfa long range antennas. So fpv is required. What is the cheapest camera out there for my requirements ?
4.4 out of 5 stars 89Reviews

Action Camera, Vemico Sports Action Camera 4K Ultra HD 16MP Waterproof Helmet Cam Camcorder with 2.4G Remote Control 3 Batteries Wifi Phone Connection 170 Degree Wide Angle Full Mounting Accessories

I have used this one for about six months now it about $67.00 on Amazon work's well for fpv Will take video with button manually pushed and still transmit image. Will fit 3dr static mount no real mod needed. Or comes with mounting that fits solo adapter . And if you use it as camera on it's own it takes really amazing photos. Hope this helps.

4.4 out of 5 stars 89Reviews

Action Camera, Vemico Sports Action Camera 4K Ultra HD 16MP Waterproof Helmet Cam Camcorder with 2.4G Remote Control 3 Batteries Wifi Phone Connection 170 Degree Wide Angle Full Mounting Accessories

I have used this one for about six months now it about $67.00 on Amazon work's well for fpv Will take video with button manually pushed and still transmit image. Will fit 3dr static mount no real mod needed. Or comes with mounting that fits solo adapter . And if you use it as camera on it's own it takes really amazing photos. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the answer buddy. Are you talking about this : https://www.amazon.com/Vemico-Waterproof-Underwater-Rechargeable-Accessories/dp/B01L8CN5X2 It's 46 USD and it's cool. I have some questions.

1. "Will take video with button manually pushed and still transmit image." What did you mean by this ?
  2. You said it will fit with solo mount. Fit properly 100% without any mod ? If so,that's really cool.
  3. what is the operation range of camera's remote control ?
  4. Do you have some sample footage which I can get some rough idea. I don't need any nice footage. Just FPV.

Thanks for the answer buddy. Are you talking about this : https://www.amazon.com/Vemico-Waterproof-Underwater-Rechargeable-Accessories/dp/B01L8CN5X2 It's 46 USD and it's cool. I have some questions.

1. "Will take video with button manually pushed and still transmit image." What did you mean by this ?
  2. You said it will fit with solo mount. Fit properly 100% without any mod ? If so,that's really cool.
  3. what is the operation range of camera's remote control ?
  4. Do you have some sample footage which I can get some rough idea. I don't need any nice footage. Just FPV.
Yes fits Solo mount. Yes to taking video and transmitting video . Rang is as far as solo its self will transmit. I will get some footage this weekend I hope it's been cold here in Colorado springs.

Yes fits Solo mount. Yes to taking video and transmitting video . Rang is as far as solo its self will transmit. I will get some footage this weekend I hope it's been cold here in Colorado springs.
That's great. I'm waiting for footage and feel free to take anytime when you are comfortable with buddy. Thanks for the help. Have few more questions. Will ask later sooon buddy

Personally, I would stay away from the Eken H9. I bought it for $40, based on comments like these, only to find out that the HDMI output is very unstable and so it's not very usable with the Solo. Overall quality was garbage. I ended up buying a used Hero 4 Black for $130 shipped and never looked back.

Did you get 4 black used ? How is the product quality ? I was checking in YI camera.
GitHub - kellyschrock/3drsolo_xiaomi: Files related to using the Xiaomi Yi camera on the 3DR Solo
Anyway if I can get gopro 4 black for $125, that's ok.
But here my purpose is only for seeing where I am via smartphone :)
that's why i was looking for a cheaper camera just for FPV.
Because this is not my drone for photography.

If you just want FPV, then a Gopro 3 (ebay for $75) will work fine..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44