My Solo vanished

Actually, it;s not quite that involved, at least on the Android. You can even get the .bin as well as .tlogs. After you submit a ticket, files are put in the support folder that is in the Android\data\3dr solo\folder(not exact path). There are several .log files that i have not dissected yet, but there are also both DF (.bin) and telemetry (.tlog) files for the last 3 flights. On my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, I use the included file manager to go to that directory. I can long press on the file I want and use the Share option to email to my self or upload to my Drive folder.
I have that Nexus tablet but it did not come with a file manager- had to pick one out of 1,000's at Google play. When I press "my drive" it just brings up the camera- is that normal?

I have that Nexus tablet but it did not come with a file manager- had to pick one out of 1,000's at Google play. When I press "my drive" it just brings up the camera- is that normal?
That is probably just their default folder they go to on start up. Their should be a menu to choose the root folder.

Reactions: Maddog
Actually, it;s not quite that involved, at least on the Android. You can even get the .bin as well as .tlogs. After you submit a ticket, files are put in the support folder that is in the Android\data\3dr solo\folder(not exact path). There are several .log files that i have not dissected yet, but there are also both DF (.bin) and telemetry (.tlog) files for the last 3 flights. On my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, I use the included file manager to go to that directory. I can long press on the file I want and use the Share option to email to my self or upload to my Drive folder.
So you say the Log is stored on the phone when you file a support request. Still there's something smelly there. I would like to be able to view the log whether there's an incident or not. To retrieve your files, you still have to file a support ticket. You could just email them to yourself before. There's some fishy reason they don't want to let us do that.

So you say the Log is stored on the phone when you file a support request. Still there's something smelly there. I would like to be able to view the log whether there's an incident or not. To retrieve your files, you still have to file a support ticket. You could just email them to yourself before. There's some fishy reason they don't want to let us do that.
Not sure about the fish, but all I did was create a support ticket. In the ticket I told them to disregard that it was just a system test. Then you can watch the progress bar as the files are DL'd from the Pixhawk. When they finish I leave the Solo connected (so the email isn't sent yet) then get the files I want and delete the rest. Then the next time the Solo is connected to WiFi with internet, it will send the email but not the files. That way it isn't clogging up their servers with unneeded files.

Not sure about the fish, but all I did was create a support ticket. In the ticket I told them to disregard that it was just a system test. Then you can watch the progress bar as the files are DL'd from the Pixhawk. When they finish I leave the Solo connected (so the email isn't sent yet) then get the files I want and delete the rest. Then the next time the Solo is connected to WiFi with internet, it will send the email but not the files. That way it isn't clogging up their servers with unneeded files.
A lot of work for something you used to be able to do by yourself. I think there's some reason they don't want you to do it the old way. In any case, fishy or not, on this issue 3DR support sucked.

A lot of work for something you used to be able to do by yourself. I think there's some reason they don't want you to do it the old way. In any case, fishy or not, on this issue 3DR support sucked.
OK. Just tried to make it easier for you. Try getting this much information from any other consumer MR. 3DR never sanctioned sending logs to your self anyway. It just that people found a work around by editing the To field in previous versions.

OK. Just tried to make it easier for you. Try getting this much information from any other consumer MR. 3DR never sanctioned sending logs to your self anyway. It just that people found a work around by editing the To field in previous versions.
I've always been curious why 3DR didn't "sanction" the logs being sent to the user. I'm fairly certain this is reasoned for less questions by the user having easy access to the data and then reading (into) results without benchmark references. Possibly a litmus test of sorts to prove sophistication of the user... I've failed the test too many times to argue the topic further.

Either way, no other MR platform provides these levels of details. It's worked to DJI's advantage all this time, should do the same for others. Less information the consumer has, the less issues the manufactures have... It's actually that simple of a reason.

3dr has always had multiple ways to get logs even if you can't do it natively in the app. no conspiracy, no trying to hide issues, no dji.

-mission planner
-apm planner
-ssh/scp/sftp
-solo cli

solo cli is the most robust and fastest way to get logs because it pulls every single log in the log directory from both solo and the controller in seconds. including the pixhawk dataflash.

solo logs download

"solo" Command Line Tool | 3DR Solo Development Guide

#dropsmic

Most people here aren't developers though and aren't going to be installing stuff and figuring out CLI. Most have never even opened a terminal or even know one exists on their mac lol. They just want an "apple-esque" solution with a nice pretty and dumb GUI that you just press an icon and, violla, logs. FTP? SCP? SSH? UDP ports? Firewall settings? What's all that?

I'm actually surprised no one has developed a simple app that does this. All the user would need to enter is their sololink wifi password and have the app ssh in and retrieve them, copying them to whatever dir the user chooses.

Reactions: Jubalr
Most people here aren't developers though and aren't going to be installing stuff and figuring out CLI. Most have never even opened a terminal or even know one exists on their mac lol. They just want an "apple-esque" solution with a nice pretty and dumb GUI that you just press an icon and, violla, logs. FTP? SCP? SSH? UDP ports? Firewall settings? What's all that?

I'm actually surprised no one has developed a simple app that does this. All the user would need to enter is their sololink wifi password and have the app ssh in and retrieve them, copying them to whatever dir the user chooses.

that's true. but they way i look at it is if they can't even install solo-cli or mission planner, how could they even interpret the logs?

that's true. but they way i look at it is if they can't even install solo-cli or mission planner, how could they even interpret the logs?
Then why not have an app or extension of existing that interprets the logs by some set of standard exceptions. I'd prefer having results that provides a proactive notice of a potential issue, than reading after the issue has manifested, if that is even possible... Call it predictive maintenance.

Using motor amp loading as an example, if one (or collective of the four) showed an increase in amps could that indicate a need to tend to the motors? Obviously your combining several data points to conclude an issue, throttle, amp, temp and duration. It's seems simple, but again I'm not a software person. But it would seem, if done right, would be a high-value commercial application.

But again it goes back to less information the user has, the less problems for the manufacture.

Reactions: Maddog
If a consumer cannot / is not / able to understand the data far worse to give it to them than not.
I don't think 3DR is harming the customer at all.
they have provided a way for multiple levels of users to interact with their product.
for people with little or no knowledge, they allow the logs to come to them for review. I doubt they would say the logs say something different than they do, since they could be checked.

for people with extensive knowledge full access is given.
Like Frank pointed out, who else is giving the consumer that level of access

Reactions: Jubalr
Then why not have an app or extension of existing that interprets the logs by some set of standard exceptions. I'd prefer having results that provides a proactive notice of a potential issue, than reading after the issue has manifested, if that is even possible... Call it predictive maintenance.

Using motor amp loading as an example, if one (or collective of the four) showed an increase in amps could that indicate a need to tend to the motors? Obviously your combining several data points to conclude an issue, throttle, amp, temp and duration. It's seems simple, but again I'm not a software person. But it would seem, if done right, would be a high-value commercial application.

But again it goes back to less information the user has, the less problems for the manufacture.

dronekit-la offers a way to analyse the logs and give you the results in a pass/fail kind of manner. there's also apm log analyser. i haven't tried it with solo though.

dronekit-la
GitHub - dronekit/dronekit-la: Log Analyzer for ArduPilot DataFlash logs and MAVLink telemetry logs.

apm log analyser
APM Log Analyser - RC Groups

I'm just sitting here waiting for the last 5 minutes of the TV show where the mystery is solved. Where was it, and what condition is in?

I appreciate the reply @franknitty69 and the links to analyzing the data.

You guys are way too smart for me...in the software arena. I envy your abilities or at least your interest in learning the software side. I'm too old to take the time to learn a new language, so to speak. It's a shame, because I really believe I could benefit the platform if the info was a button push away. I'm confident there are others like myself, that y'all are dismissing as lazy or otherwise. It's just not our thing.

Like was said previously, "All issues are Software issues, unless they're not - in which case it's most likely a hardware issue."

In the end it isn't software or hardware, which I interpret as both being electronics in the reference, it's the mechanical side that is the Achilles heel for Solo or what ever flavor of platform. Commercial application will need a "button" to diagnose or predict issues, otherwise sustaining A+ safety record would be in question always. Can't wait to see who will insure a commercial application without a proven track record for the hardware up time. But then we are talking about a consumer grade product in Solo....at least how we presently use it.

As an analogy, "An artist needs to learn how to make paint, weave a canvas and fashion wood into a frame. Otherwise they are lazy and not worthy of being an artist...." I'd imagine most notable artist were/are not capable of the above...without distracting from their true passion and gift. I've always praised the canvas/frame maker for their art of making such an enduring platform for the art we enjoy today.

claude monet - water lillies.jpg

Reactions: J R and PdxSteve
I'm confident there are others like myself, that y'all are dismissing as lazy or otherwise. It's just not our thing.
Rich - I hope I didn't contribute to that sentiment as that's definitely not my attitude. I was trying to make a similar point that you are, that most of the info/tools out there are aimed at devs which is not what the majority of Solo flyers are. I share your frustration. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to decode battery data and charging interfaces (way out of my league) so I don't have to spend $200 on 4 chargers that take a long time to charge since they don't even charge at 1C. It would take one of their devs 20 minutes (literally) to add the extended battery data into the main app so you can see charge cycles, battery manufacture date, serial number, etc. Their code actually collects a lot of that data, but they just don't do anything with it. That is actual useful data that, IMO, the end consumer needs to know, but they don't provide directly (but could easily).

I hope I didn't contribute to that sentiment as that's definitely not my attitude.
Nope, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just expressing the difference between us within a community and that we all have abilities that differ from another. So how does one eat an elephant? One button would be a nice start.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44