My Solo vanished

What was you RTH height, and how high is that tower? Looks like you lost radio contact behind it, the solo would have tracked back to your start position at RTH height. If the tower is higher, could be on the roof...
Exactly what I thought. I've contacted the maintenance office of the building and they're currently checking the roof from the tower. Keeping my fingers crossed.

After this crash into the tree I am not getting any video feed at all to iPad and not recording to my iPad from the gimbal so I am going to try without the gimbal if that works as I am waiting on 3dr to get back to me from a support ticket I sent in 3 days ago as I am in Australia if my video feed works perfectly without the gimbal I will send it away to be look at cause I was getting recording into iPad but no live feed I am seriously considering getting a new gimbal feeling frustrated

I hope the battery is still in tact and didn't get knocked out mine went haywire and hit a tree and the battery fell out on impact watching your efforts with interest hope all goes well for you

I hope the battery is still in tact and didn't get knocked out mine went haywire and hit a tree and the battery fell out on impact watching your efforts with interest hope all goes well for you
Thanks Cynthia, best of luck to you as well. Keep me updated.

Wish I had that on Saturday! I'm interested. How much?
Cost about $90 plus shipping. This device doubles as a personal tracker for kids and the elderly as well. My company is in South Africa so we would ship from here. Please drop me an email to [email protected] so I can give you full particulars of how the system works.

Cost about $90 plus shipping. This device doubles as a personal tracker for kids and the elderly as well. My company is in South Africa so we would ship from here. Please drop me an email to [email protected] so I can give you full particulars of how the system works.
@Eddie Kennedy, can you post the particulars here? More people would be inclined to read it here as opposed to sending an email.

I finally heard back from 3DR. They won't be replacing my Solo.

"After analysing the logs, the sensors and components in solo didn't show any failure, although, what was notorious was the decrement in the RC signal strength, while the autopilot followed the RC commands, the solo was commanded to flying towards a position in which an obstacle interfered with the signal (out of sight).

As there were no hardware malfunctions, the only thing we can do is remind the user manual recommendation:

• Always fly Solo within your visual line of sight. Don’t let Solo get so far away from you that you cannot see its orientation or so that any physical obstructions block your view of Solo.
  • Physical obstructions can also block communication signals with the controller, causing Solo to attempt to Return Home along an obstructed path
You can find a replacement Solo (vehicle only) on our online store (3DR Solo Vehicle Only - 3DR)."

So let's just dissect this for a minute. Flying in and around trees, video feed freezes, connection gets lost, uncertain from description which happens first, either case is possible. From last frame received it looks as if the camera was pointed down. I would suggest there's a good chance drone was piloted blind into a tree. If the propellors get broken, then return to home doesn't work. In that case one has to go look for their solo. Best way to do that is right away while solo may still be powered, because if it's powered and you get close enough for it to reconnect to your controller, your app will show it's location on the satelite map. One other thing to remember if it hits a tree it could get stuck up in the tree, so you shouldn't just look at the ground. If you do find it up in a tree, do NOT break your neck trying to climb up to it. There are ways to shake it out of the branches from the ground, you need a wrist rocket and a fishing rod and some sturdy twine, but it can be done from even the tallest of trees. Ok that's my disection and analysis, it's probably too late to use the sat map to locate, best bet is go back to last know position and look all around up and down in a systematic survey.

One other topic brought up here, about being able to email the logs to yourself. Yes 3DR disabled that feature a few updates ago deliberately. I complained, and was passed up the supervisory chain, I learned 3DR has stuck up prigs like any other company, and after giving valid reasons such as the desire to be able to retrieve the logs in the field they basically informed me they didn't care and they're not going to restore that ability. Their excuse was the lamest, it was something like some of their users were too challenged with the task of entering an email address.

The alternate procedure although possible assumes you have a computer with a wifi connection and FTP client, and about an hour to waste setting up and doing the transfer.

For what it's worth I hope Charbait gets 3DR to replace his lost solo and camera, he probably flew it into a tree, but 3DR's stubborn deliberate blocking of useful diagnostic tools in the app, makes it harder for a new user to figure out what's going on in an emergency event. Also, face it a drone left up in a tree for a few days in the snow and rain is not likely going to work very well even if you do get it back.

Reactions: Samphoto
When you lost video connection did you try an RTH? Once I experienced what you describe with the video/controller getting locked up but you can still fly the Solo if you can see it.

Once you lost it, the solution was to to pull the battery out of the controller and reset it. Once you turn it back on, and if the Solo was in range at that point it would have shown you where it was on the map and you could have walked right to it. I doubt it has any power left now but if it did, you could still try that trick.

When you lost video connection did you try an RTH? Once I experienced what you describe with the video/controller getting locked up but you can still fly the Solo if you can see it.

Once you lost it, the solution was to to pull the battery out of the controller and reset it. Once you turn it back on, and if the Solo was in range at that point it would have shown you where it was on the map and you could have walked right to it. I doubt it has any power left now but if it did, you could still try that trick.
The OP is brand new to drones (Solo anyway) and didn't know any of that.:(
Gee that is impressive I am now too scared to fly it I have lost my confidence I am waiting for 3DR to get back to me on as I sent in the logs as well but I had to pay for a Arborist to retrieve it from a Eucalypt GUM TREE from he top of the tree it was hooked up in the branches and the battery fell out on impact he charged me $100 to get it back
Not a bad price considering you got it back. What part of the world are you in?

One other topic brought up here, about being able to email the logs to yourself. Yes 3DR disabled that feature a few updates ago deliberately. I complained, and was passed up the supervisory chain, I learned 3DR has stuck up prigs like any other company, and after giving valid reasons such as the desire to be able to retrieve the logs in the field they basically informed me they didn't care and they're not going to restore that ability. Their excuse was the lamest, it was something like some of their users were too challenged with the task of entering an email address.

The alternate procedure although possible assumes you have a computer with a wifi connection and FTP client, and about an hour to waste setting up and doing the transfer.
Actually, it;s not quite that involved, at least on the Android. You can even get the .bin as well as .tlogs. After you submit a ticket, files are put in the support folder that is in the Android\data\3dr solo\folder(not exact path). There are several .log files that i have not dissected yet, but there are also both DF (.bin) and telemetry (.tlog) files for the last 3 flights. On my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, I use the included file manager to go to that directory. I can long press on the file I want and use the Share option to email to my self or upload to my Drive folder.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44