Multi-Point Cable Cam Test Video...

Reaction score
This video (not mine) demonstrates the new MP cable cam. Assuming this short video was done with a single cable cam shot, which it probably was, this is a good example of the kind of power and flexibility this feature will offer. I think you are going to see some great examples as this gets released as these types of shots formally required 2 great operators (pilot & camera), and further demonstrates why 3DR chose the name 'Solo',
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And here is an example of the power of MP Cable Cam when you add the 'Free Look' feature. This will allow the Solo to fly a complex flight path with the pilot having complete control of the camera. Again, formally requiring 2 operators.

3DR just caused themselves another headache though.
Now that they have announced this, the generation of entitled will rise up can trash them until it is released.

I am stoked though and can be patient. you can do a lot of this in tower until then

And not to be forgotten is that these routines now have the ability to be saved, which is excellent, and is what is missing from the current cable cam function.
You can re-run EXACTLY the same path at a another time, or another day or another season.
(I already wish some of the filming I have done was with MPCC because I'd like to re-fly it at different times of the day)

We will be seeing some amazing footage with this MPCC function.
I can see snappy edited footage taken by Solo flying the same path at different times of year and the image flicking back and forth between the seasons, or changing surroundings, as the path is flown, it will look awesome.
The potential of this is limitless. Cant wait.

no doubt, going to give the 2016 flying season a boost.
3DR sucked at rolling out, i think this will be the year we see it hit its full potential in the hands of users

I'm confused about how the "FreeLook" feature is going to work.

OK...so you set up your multi-point cable and enable FreeLook. You then control the camera with one of the sticks. But will you be able to pan side to side with the camera? (that's how it looks in the video). And how are they not getting the Solo's legs in the shot?

I'm confused about how the "FreeLook" feature is going to work.

OK...so you set up your multi-point cable and enable FreeLook. You then control the camera with one of the sticks. But will you be able to pan side to side with the camera? (that's how it looks in the video). And how are they not getting the Solo's legs in the shot?
Yes, full control over the camera during the trip. Panning is done with Yaw control, just like it is now. Solo will continue to travel the same path as programmed. Unlike an airplane, a multirotor doesn't care about orientation and can compensate for yaw in flight. It actually does this now during maneuvers like 'Follow Me' and POI waypoints.

Reactions: Pogo and J R
Really looking forward to cable cam w/ freelook, right now I get a slight "ratcheting " movement in pitch as I move away from a POI, sort of seems like GPS position is updating every 1~2 seconds, luckily it seems to mostly effect my white quad not my Solo,s.

I'm looking forward to Cable Cam combined with Follow-Me. Where you are "dragging" the drone along the cable, but it keeps the camera focused on you (or whoever it's following). This would be awesome for action sports. Or following through a canyon or any tight area.

Or following through a canyon or any tight area.
As long as it actually followed the path you took. That's one of the things I don't like about the current follow mode. It takes the shortest route as the crow flies instead of "walking in your footsteps. I think a lot of accidents could be avoided if it followed your actual path.

Reactions: Maddog
Assuming MPCC is just like CC but with infinite # of points, I'm not sure I understand the "free look" aspect
don't you already have full camera control during the existing CC smartshot anyways?

The free look is more emphasized to the new follow me correct? Since the current follow me mode locks out camera control completely?

Also, is there any way to ensure the Solo is not flying forward during CC/MPCC so that prop shadows are not in the frame? You'd have to consciously point the Solo in the same direction at each key frame point?

Assuming MPCC is just like CC but with infinite # of points, I'm not sure I understand the "free look" aspect
don't you already have full camera control during the existing CC smartshot anyways?
The default functionality is that the Solo controls the camera between points A and B, with nice easing in and out. You can temporally override the camera movement. There is also an option to disable camera control, but I don't think that gives you complete free look as of now. I could be wrong, I don't use that option.
The free look is more emphasized to the new follow me correct? Since the current follow me mode locks out camera control completely?
I suppose that's a fair assessment, but free look during a cable cam could have plenty of uses.
Also, is there any way to ensure the Solo is not flying forward during CC/MPCC so that prop shadows are not in the frame? You'd have to consciously point the Solo in the same direction at each key frame point?
I'm not sure I follow what your asking. Just set points A and B to point in whatever direction you want and the camera will only move between those points while it flies. If A and B are framed to target the same object, then the camera won't turn at all if that target is precisely aligned "behind" the Solo relative to the cable cam path. So in that case, yes it will fly "backwards". Even if points A and B are generally "behind" the drone relative to the cable path, then there would be rotation, but it would basically be flying backwards.

But one of the best ways to avoid seeing the props is to make sure your Gimbal doesn't tilt above 85 degrees at either point A or B. Or swap in a Peau lens... but that's a whole different topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubalr
Yes, full control over the camera during the trip. Panning is done with Yaw control, just like it is now. Solo will continue to travel the same path as programmed. Unlike an airplane, a multirotor doesn't care about orientation and can compensate for yaw in flight. It actually does this now during maneuvers like 'Follow Me' and POI waypoints.
nicely explained Jublair

And here is an example of the power of MP Cable Cam when you add the 'Free Look' feature. This will allow the Solo to fly a complex flight path with the pilot having complete control of the camera. Again, formally requiring 2 operators.

Are these features released in mission planner? I am confused. Maybe I should connect my Solo and have a look around mission planner for new features?

Trying to figure out if this was an auto mission in Mission planner or whether this used the new Solo features?

Last edited:
Wow. Pretty incredible. Can't imagine any other MR duplicating that video with a single operator.

Are these features released in mission planner? I am confused. Maybe I should connect my Solo and have a look around mission planner for new features?

Trying to figure out if this was an auto mission in Mission planner or whether this used the new Solo features?
Yes and no. The multi point cable cam is coming to the Solo app. However, you can do something similar in Tower or Mission Planner now, but you have to tweak some params, eg. WP_YAW_BEHAVIOR

Yes and no. The multi point cable cam is coming to the Solo app. However, you can do something similar in Tower or Mission Planner now, but you have to tweak some params, eg. WP_YAW_BEHAVIOR
Can you please tell us how to mimic the upcoming MSCC,
i know i'm interested, I'm also sure that others also interested.

Thank you for your time

Can you please tell us how to mimic the upcoming MSCC,
i know i'm interested, I'm also sure that others also interested.

Thank you for your time
By setting up multiple waypoints and multiple ROIs. Lots and lots of them. For free look you'd have to change wp yaw behavior. To reduce the "jerk" when it locks onto a new ROI, you need to be careful where you position ROIs (so that the next ROI doesn't require a huge heading change - which is why you would need a lot of them to simulate the eased panning of cable cam). There are a bunch of other params I'd have to dig into and experiment with to soften up the jerking even more. It's not something I've ever really pulled off because it's such an epic hassle.

But you can definitely set up a few waypoints along a track and follow the target with the camera controlled by you.

Reactions: SteveReno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44