Mount antenna on car roof - any advice?

Reaction score
I want to mount the controller antennas on the roof of my car. Any advice out there on this?

I was hopping I could just add cables to my Solo Controller that lead up to the antennas which I would mount on the roof... but I have a feeling that adding a length of cable between the controller and the antenna would be a bad idea.

I know there are some folks on these boards who have a lot more knowledge than I with respect to antennas. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: JD Films
Wouldn't the metal in the car roof possibly interfere with the signal?
I would mount the antennas on the exterior top of the car (probably with some kind of modified GoPro mount). I would then route an extension cable for each antenna back to the controller, which would be inside the car. So with the antennas on the outside of the car, I should be fine. The Solo already does a decent enough job transmitting from the inside of the vehicle, but I tend to hold the controller near the sun roof or a window.

My concern is that these antenna are pretty sensitive. They must be a specific length, and I don't know how the electrical resistance in an antenna "extension cable" would impact the signal.

It would depend on the antenna you are using. I have seen discussions about a similar idea when I flew UHF, on my discovery pro. I don't know the exact numbers. But for example. If you are using a 12dbi antenna, the run of cable could reduce that a certain percentage. So let's say effectively it changes it to an 8dbi antenna. I think that could be the only risk you run into.

I've thought of something similar using 2 pepper box 2.4ghz antennas. With their size, it would take a run of cable to connect to the solo controller.

the IBCrazy 2.4 GHz 13dBic Crosshair Antenna

Heck, two of those pepper boxes would go through just about anything. Buildings, trees, mountains. I've seen the videos of Alex talking about them, they're pretty awesome. I rarely fly around mysel. I setup in a location and fly out in a direction. So the directional nature of these don't bother me. The only thing that would limit Solo, with these is battery life.

Last edited:
Reactions: erikgraham
It would depend on the antenna you are using. I have seen discussions about a similar idea when I flew UHF, on my discovery pro. I don't know the exact numbers. But for example. If you are using a 12dbi antenna, the run of cable could reduce that a certain percentage. So let's say effectively it changes it to an 8dbi antenna. I think that could be the only risk you run into.

I've thought of something similar using 2 pepper box 2.4ghz antennas. With their size, it would take a run of cable to connect to the solo controller.

the IBCrazy 2.4 GHz 13dBic Crosshair Antenna

Heck, two of those pepper boxes would go through just about anything. Buildings, trees, mountains. I've seen the videos of Alex talking about them, they're pretty awesome. I rarely fly around mysel. I setup in a location and fly out in a direction. So the directional nature of these don't bother me. The only thing that would limit Solo, with these is battery life.
I was planing on doing this with the stock antenna, but I have looked at the peperbox - not for the car, and not even for long range, but to punch through foliage. But I'm pretty happy with the omnidirectional stock antenni so far. I think I will soon take the plunge on the FPVLRs.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I'll try it, and then add an amp. I assume the right amp would be the Sunhan that they use on the FPVLRs?

In terms of the wiring, I guess I need something shielded? And heavy gauge to reduce resistance?

I have the fplvr antenna. Haven't had a chance to try out yet. Solo crashed on 3 battery on first outing. On its way back to 3dr. Hoping for replacement in a couple weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44