Mod advice

Reaction score
Been reading through these threads for days now. I have noticed that threads split, and information changes over time in these threads. It can all get difficult to sort out. So below is what I understand to be true, if I'm wrong please correct me. Also if I see this correctly please let me know.

First I am looking to extend my range without spending the money on new antennas that make my controller look like Marvin the Martians gun. In the city I looks connection at time around 500'. I need a bit more than that.
Sounds like I can do the script change and open up all 12 wifi channels with either stock cards or the wifi upgrade card. After the last update people are still able to connect from what I can tell. Does anyone have a link to the script change procedure that works?
Mikrotik wifi card mod also seems to be adding range even though we still can't use full power. So I was considering this putting a card in both solo and controller. I am a little confused about if I need to put the card in both, or if adding the card to the controller only adds the same range as adding the card to both the controller and Solo. I also get hints that people have figured out a way to get the card operating at full power, but can't confirm this.

Second is the GPS connection. The 3 min and loss of GPS I have had a couple of time is not acceptable for my uses.
I was going to add the M8N GPS and do the cardboard mod. I'm not sure I need the card if I do the cardboard mod, but if I take apart the Solo is there a reason not to add the new GPS? Also is the cardboard mod that effective, it almost seems to good to be true.

That's my plan, wifi cards, script mod, M8n GPS and cardboard mod. Am I missing anything good? I really only want to take this apart once.

i also want to see what people say since i would like to upgrade my range without dropping too much money on antennas and batteries

Been reading through these threads for days now. I have noticed that threads split, and information changes over time in these threads. It can all get difficult to sort out. So below is what I understand to be true, if I'm wrong please correct me. Also if I see this correctly please let me know.

First I am looking to extend my range without spending the money on new antennas that make my controller look like Marvin the Martians gun. In the city I looks connection at time around 500'. I need a bit more than that.
Sounds like I can do the script change and open up all 12 wifi channels with either stock cards or the wifi upgrade card. After the last update people are still able to connect from what I can tell. Does anyone have a link to the script change procedure that works?
Mikrotik wifi card mod also seems to be adding range even though we still can't use full power. So I was considering this putting a card in both solo and controller. I am a little confused about if I need to put the card in both, or if adding the card to the controller only adds the same range as adding the card to both the controller and Solo. I also get hints that people have figured out a way to get the card operating at full power, but can't confirm this.

Second is the GPS connection. The 3 min and loss of GPS I have had a couple of time is not acceptable for my uses.
I was going to add the M8N GPS and do the cardboard mod. I'm not sure I need the card if I do the cardboard mod, but if I take apart the Solo is there a reason not to add the new GPS? Also is the cardboard mod that effective, it almost seems to good to be true.

That's my plan, wifi cards, script mod, M8n GPS and cardboard mod. Am I missing anything good? I really only want to take this apart once.
I'd reconsider your plan and just get the Marvin the Martian antennas (FPVLR). The card swaps are far more complicated and by all accounts won't match the distance you'll get from the FPVLRs, especially amped. And all you need to do is screw the antennas on and turn on the amp - which won't void your warranty.

Meanwhile, with respect to GPS, I *think* the script change has been made obsolete by updates 3DR pushed out a couple months ago. Upgrading the GPS card seems to help a lot of folks, but I haven't seen anything definitive on that - mostly anecdotal evidence so far.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
I'll add my 2 cents as well. I have the upgrade wifi cards. Never installed them. Wanted to fly stock and get a feel for how I fly and how solo performs. I did do the gps shield/card upgrade. I never waited more then a min for gps lock.

I also have the fplvr antenna. Haven't tried that out yet. But the performance others are reporting are well worth the $130. 2 upgraded wifi cards are more then have that cost. Why not start with the antenna? Simply screw on, no opening up solo and messing something up while completely taking apart to swap cards.

flying stock except GPS isolator and ribbon cable
routinely hitting 2000 feet
are you sure you don't need to send in a support ticket?

flying stock except GPS isolator and ribbon cable
routinely hitting 2000 feet
are you sure you don't need to send in a support ticket?
No I took it out to the country and I went out 2000' downwind and brought it back because I wasn't sure how long it would take to get back home. Still had 2 bars. It's the city.

Fpvlr was the best money I've spent for solo so far and I've seen used and scratch and dent type sales for a hundred bucks or less. Try RCG classifieds to save a few bucks if you want used, but tony has the best and most reasonably priced setup in my opinion so far. It not only helped my range but also congestion issues, video feed and even makes solo more responsive. The stocks are worthless and I too hate having to take off my antenna to put my controller in the backpack and would rather not have the controller boobs, but it's worth the inconvenience.

I've been here since release and I've done the cardboard mod as well and honestly can't say I've noticed a huge change, that said I've always had a fairly fast gps lock. My issue still which 3dr seems to believe is normal drift is my gps seems to keep correcting itself and "drifts" more than it did the first months I had it. I'm going to try the m8n I guess and hope this remedies it cause 3dr seems to be dead set that its location or normal drift, but it was fine as is my phantom for many months in my yard and plenty other areas that are open and now that's not the case. It's useable, but in gps when I'm not on the sticks the movement is noticeable in my video and has made me less confident to push solo out very far since something seems off to me.

Anyway just my 2cents, welcome to the forum it's a great place and I've learned more than I thought possible from the very intelligent and helpful folks here on the site. Fly smart Fly Safe Fly 3DR

Reactions: Waternut
Fpvlr was the best money I've spent for solo so far and I've seen used and scratch and dent type sales for a hundred bucks or less. Try RCG classifieds to save a few bucks if you want used, but tony has the best and most reasonably priced setup in my opinion so far. It not only helped my range but also congestion issues, video feed and even makes solo more responsive. The stocks are worthless and I too hate having to take off my antenna to put my controller in the backpack and would rather not have the controller boobs, but it's worth the inconvenience.

I've been here since release and I've done the cardboard mod as well and honestly can't say I've noticed a huge change, that said I've always had a fairly fast gps lock. My issue still which 3dr seems to believe is normal drift is my gps seems to keep correcting itself and "drifts" more than it did the first months I had it. I'm going to try the m8n I guess and hope this remedies it cause 3dr seems to be dead set that its location or normal drift, but it was fine as is my phantom for many months in my yard and plenty other areas that are open and now that's not the case. It's useable, but in gps when I'm not on the sticks the movement is noticeable in my video and has made me less confident to push solo out very far since something seems off to me.

Anyway just my 2cents, welcome to the forum it's a great place and I've learned more than I thought possible from the very intelligent and helpful folks here on the site.

Hi Guys, I looked at the FPVLR web site and see the Solo transmitter antenna for $130. Do I need an additional amp as well? Also do I need to add anything tot the Solo itself?
Thank you

Hi Guys, I looked at the FPVLR web site and see the Solo transmitter antenna for $130. Do I need an additional amp as well? Also do I need to add anything tot the Solo itself?
Thank you
The amp is optional but it will improve distance even more. Seems like a lot of people are fine without the amp. You do not need to make any modifications to the Solo itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44