Max range...

Reaction score
out testing today max distance from controller was 280 meters (920 feet) before the solo paused and came home... Would this be about right this was a clean line of sight...

Advertised range is 1/2 mile (about 2600 feet). Your range is poor but not unheard of- wifi interference in the area, if any, can have a big impact.
Most of us have switched to aftermarket antennas for the controller. Right now I cant think of all the different ones but if you search for "controller antenna" you should bring up several threads. Working on something else right now so I can't help with that right now.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome, I thought it should be further. I guess there could be interference in that area mind you it is in a park on the edge of town and I headed out in a direction where there is nothing...

Reactions: Smitty
All to do with nearby wifi interference, and the 2.4GHz noise floor in your area.
Ive been to 3000' and came back because that is easliy further than I need.
I dont really see Solo as a long range aircraft.
Sure you can boost the signal to extremes and go to the moon if you really wanted to.

If it were designed for long range it would be running a more robust 2.4GHz link than just a single wifi channel. There are lots of RF link options with multiple channels and/or frequency hopping, but just flying on a single 2.4GHz channel AND sharing it with everyones wifi is potentially problematic, and the risks need to be known by the pilot and kept in consideration when flying.
At the very least, get a good wifi app and have a look whats around on 2.4 before flying (and confirm that Solo has chosen a clear channel - which may not happen if you turn Solo on before the controller)
As far as the radio link is concerned, I feel it is a step back to the early days of the first 2.4GHz spektrum systems, and we have the same problems of link quality. But still, it is good enough for close range.

In my opinion, Solo is (or will be) a precise gopro carrying filming machine, primary for use within line of sight. Once a few things get sorted I expect it will be the smoothest thing out there. A camera dolly in the sky.

If you want to go long range with a multirotor, get a Discovery Pro and EZ UHF and go 5 or 10 miles away, or put the same gear into an FPV glider and go 60 miles with a yagi on a tracker. This has all been done.

Reactions: J R and RichWest
The wifi app is a good informational tool but it's not available for iOS- Android only.:(

Thanks Roland pretty much everything I do will be line of sight, even this test was line of sight.I think I switched on the controller first but not 100% sureI will have to try again another day...

Reactions: Maddog
Thanks Roland pretty much everything I do will be line of sight, even this test was line of sight.I think I switched on the controller first but not 100% sureI will have to try again another day...
I do everything line of site also. I got the upgraded antenna so I could overpower any interference. Insurance against signal loss.:cool:

Also if you are in the USA, modifying solo so it can choose channel 13 helps very much in metro areas with interference. Other places in the world it makes little difference. Going channel 13 and some basic $30 alpha panel antennas will get most people more range than they need

Well another test today out along the river (frozen over of course) only -6 C today so quite nice out. Unfortunately my hero 4 Battery died when out 400 meters (1012 ft) so hit RTH and up it went and back with a perfect landing. I'm so used to having the gimbal and being able to steal some power but it's off for repair as it was never centered it always pointed to the right at about 10-15 degrees.

Also Cal, try and keep your flight (and GP) batteries warm, like carrying them inside your jacket, or your flight times will be shortened by the batteries being cold.

Also Cal, try and keep your flight (and GP) batteries warm, like carrying them inside your jacket, or your flight times will be shortened by the batteries being cold.
I was testing in about -8C yesterday and got 13 minutes of running time came in with about 25% battery left. I was pleasantly surprised it lasted that long, very pleased with the solo so far....

Also if you are in the USA, modifying solo so it can choose channel 13 helps very much in metro areas with interference. Other places in the world it makes little difference. Going channel 13 and some basic $30 alpha panel antennas will get most people more range than they need
But how to turn on Channel 13? Through SHH? What is necessary to register?

I flew out over 4800 feet today on stock antennae flying an auto mission. When it started heading back it dropped out for a few seconds.

I put one Alfa antenna on and it did not drop out the rest of the day. Max distance flown was around 5000 feet. No bars on the signal meter.

I tried two Alfa antennae but didn't really see a difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44