M8N Mod Video Tutorial and Test

Last edited:
...you lost me after that. The M8N order page asks which cable I want when I order. DF13 isn't that list. If I am upgrading Solo which is the one I want / which is the easiest to swap. Does it even matter which? Do they all require modification (soldering etc.)?

• Mega EZ3 blue black cable
  • ReadyToFlyer/APM 2.5,2.6,2.7 cable
  • Mega 2.0 (dupont ends)
  • RTFHawk cable
Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.
I'm talking about if you have a M8N module for a Pixhawk and want to convert it for use on Solo.
Some people have a few different GPS modules laying around from building
other "Plastic Gizmos that Fly". Sarah B

Solo uses 1.25mm pitch CLIK-Mate 6-Pin connector.

Pixhawk uses 1.25mm pitch DF13.
Most generic GPS Modules, like the GYGPSV5-NEO M8N, use 1.25mm pitch PicoBlade.
Some aftermarket M8N Modules have a 1.0mm pitch SH.

If you are ordering a new cable, you would need to change one end no matter which one you order.
AFAIK, no one makes a SH/DF13/PicoBlade to CLIK-Mate cable yet.

FYI:
JST makes the SH Connector.
Hirose makes the DF13.
Molex makes the CLIK-Mate and PicoBlade.

If anyone wants to put together a minimum order, www.compatiblecable.com is willing to build a batch of custom SH or DF13 or PicoBlade to CLIK-Mate 6-Pin cables with a ferrite bead for this.
I was going to do it until I got tired of the Gimbal delays and moved on to other things.

You would need to settle in on one M8N Module and know what connector it has mounted on it.

Last edited:
No problem and thanks! I'm working in editing one for the wifi card as well using the r11e suggested in another thread. Just have to do the range test and see how much further it goes than the 3000 feet I got stock.

Great tutorial. Thanks. Where do I get the Sat. Mod and wifi mod?

Going to try to get out my wifi card video by tomorrow. Just finished the range test and twice got it to 7100 feet from home at 150 feet.
So 1.36 miles. Stock antennas.
WOW!!! Now that's some real range :) I just ordered my fpvlr antenna

Great part is that the wifi cards are cheaper at 80 bucks and are still omnidirectional with the stock antennas.

That's great! I wish they used these from the start. Would have made a huge difference with the range, and make the connection much stronger so other wifi won't interfere with it.

Would it improve GPS acquisition and signal quality if the PGS was on a mast above the main housing, similar to other multi-rotors like the 3DR 8+. It appears that you have sufficient cable length to place the GPS on a mast. Sorry this may be a fairly basic question but I'm new to the UAV seen and have for the most part been lurking and leaching info from the experts in the forums.

Would it improve GPS acquisition and signal quality if the PGS was on a mast above the main housing, similar to other multi-rotors like the 3DR 8+. It appears that you have sufficient cable length to place the GPS on a mast. Sorry this may be a fairly basic question but I'm new to the UAV seen and have for the most part been lurking and leaching info from the experts in the forums.
If you are having issues with interference from other electronics that would help otherwise improvement would be minimal.

Can you post a photo of the back of your iPad mount? I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S to use with my Solo, but the OEM mount doesn't open wide enough to use it... Great video on the GPS mod BTW! =)

Great Video!

You can modify this module's power/signal cable and leave the stock as-is.
Just remove the pins from the cable for the compass and change the other end to a Molex CLIK-Mate
This module has a IPEX MHF1 port and an Active Patch Antenna with a short cable.

What's nice about having the IPEX port is you can switch to a Taoglas and relocate the antenna away from the battery release spring using a longer cable.

Hi - You mention relocating the antenna with a longer cable. What cable did you use? Link to where I might find one?
Thanks,
Ken

Awesome, thanks for putting that together! Did we determine if that carbon black in the plastic was an issue of concern?

Last edited:
Hi - You mention relocating the antenna with a longer cable. What cable did you use? Link to where I might find one?
Thanks,
Ken
I'm used to pulling out my digital soldering station and "Rolling my Own" mods.
Here's a link to a 700mm (27") long cable with connector, ready to cut to length and solder to a module:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/U.FL-LP-088K1T-A-(700)/U.FL-LP-088K1T-A-(700)-ND/4307564

-also-

If you dig around, you can find Taoglas active patches with other lengths.
They have fixed lengths from the factory, but make them in any length for OEMs.

FYI:
With Taoglas, the last 5 digits of the part number is the cable length in millimeters

Example:
AGGBP.25B.07.0060A has a 60mm cable (with a IPEX MHFI / Hirose U.FL like the modules)
AP.25J.01.10000D has a 10000mm (10 meter, but has a SMA connector)

Reactions: datalogger
Awesome, thanks for putting that together! Did we determine if that carbon black in the plastic was an issue of concern?
Didn't get a chance to do serious testing of the plastic as I had to return my Solo.
I ran out of days on the trial period.
Day 29 and no Gimbal to test = return to store for refund and wait.

I would venture a quick educated guess that the metal spring for the battery latch located directly in the line-of-sight between the antenna and the satellites causes more issues, but I wouldn't rule out the plastic not being to spec until further testing.

I have no use for a Solo without a Gimbal and didn't want to get stuck with it if the Gimbal sucked.
I'm still curious to see how they are going to handle not filming the fixed position legs in action shots.

When the Gimbal actually is released, I'll buy another Solo to continue testing and post up clear results.
I plan to keep it if the Gimbal works well as I already know I can overcome any issues with the GPS via a M8N and a little re-coding of the Open Source firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lonewulph

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig