M8N Mod Video Tutorial and Test

Reaction score
A lot of folks on here have been installing the M8N but it seems no one has made a video tutorial so I decided to make one while I was in there already. Hopefully this will help any of you on the fence with the M8N mod and help prevent any accidental wiring screw ups.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Awesome video SixShooter! Well done and easy to follow. Thanks!

A lot of folks on here have been installing the M8N but it seems no one has made a video tutorial so I decided to make one while I was in there already. Hopefully this will help any of you on the fence with the M8N mod and help prevent any accidental wiring screw ups.
Very nicely done. Thank you very much

No problem and thanks! I'm working in editing one for the wifi card as well using the r11e suggested in another thread. Just have to do the range test and see how much further it goes than the 3000 feet I got stock.

No problem and thanks! I'm working in editing one for the wifi card as well using the r11e suggested in another thread. Just have to do the range test and see how much further it goes than the 3000 feet I got stock.

I just did that mod myself but haven't done enough testing yet to report. Pleased so far.

Thank you !

Something I would definitely consider doing if and when my Solo arrives...

You rock! huge help to me and I will actually feel comfortable flying with the GPS. You should send 3DR a bill!

Great work, sixshooterstang! Thanks for putting this together.

Especially enjoyed the subliminal cameo @ 2:58... :)

GPSModVideo_SubliminalMessage.jpg

Curious about the floating copper 'shield'... I would think that it would have to be grounded to be effective electrically, or made of mu metal to be effective magnetically... and if the plastic cover contains carbon black as a colorant then that could interfere... but then that's why it's RF - real fun !

Curious about the floating copper 'shield'... I would think that it would have to be grounded to be effective electrically, or made of mu metal to be effective magnetically... and if the plastic cover contains carbon black as a colorant then that could interfere... but then that's why it's RF - real fun !
The stock config did not have an obvious ground from what I could tell. So far no performance issues though. I did have one incident with it where it started wandering badly but it was literally in the woods under the trees so that is to be expected.

Great Video!

As an addition, for those of you that don't want to modify the existing cable you can also modify a regular DF13 cable pretty easy.

Parts to modify a DF13 cable to Molex CLIK-Mate on one end.
Code:
Digikey Item#       Description                    Price Each        Requirement
WM2271-ND           PLUG HSG 6POS 1.25 WIRE-BRD    $0.370            (Need 1 per end)
WM2272CT-ND         PLUG TERM 1.25 26-28AWG TIN    $0.046            (Need 4 per end)

As an alternative to the mounted-to-the-board Passive Patch antenna:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221785117851?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You can modify this module's power/signal cable and leave the stock as-is.
Just remove the pins from the cable for the compass and change the other end to a Molex CLIK-Mate
This module has a IPEX MHF1 port and an Active Patch Antenna with a short cable.

What's nice about having the IPEX port is you can switch to a Taoglas and relocate the antenna away from the battery release spring using a longer cable.

Edit:
Also, on cold starts in a new location, I was getting about the same results as sixshooterstang mentioned above.
On warm starts, like a quick battery swap, it was Ready to Launch before she could finish saying "Searching for GPS" the first time...

Last edited:
Great Video!

As an addition, for those of you that don't want to modify the existing cable you can also modify a regular DF13 cable pretty easy.

Parts to modify a DF13 cable to Molex CLIK-Mate on one end.
Code:
Digikey Item#       Description                    Price Each        Requirement
WM2271-ND           PLUG HSG 6POS 1.25 WIRE-BRD    $0.370            (Need 1 per end)
WM2272CT-ND         PLUG TERM 1.25 26-28AWG TIN    $0.046            (Need 4 per end)

As an alternative to the mounted-to-the-board Passive Patch antenna:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221785117851?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You can modify this module's power/signal cable and leave the stock as-is.
Just remove the pins from the cable for the compass and change the other end to a Molex CLIK-Mate
This module has a IPEX MHF1 port and an Active Patch Antenna with a short cable.

What's nice about having the IPEX port is you can switch to a Taoglas and relocate the antenna away from the battery release spring using a longer cable.

Edit:
Also, on cold starts in a new location, I was getting about the same results as sixshooterstang mentioned above.
On warm starts, like a quick battery swap, it was Ready to Launch before she could finish saying "Searching for GPS" the first time...
Thanks for the info! I may not care if soldering is required or not but some folks will find your suggestion very valuable.

Great Video!

As an addition, for those of you that don't want to modify the existing cable you can also modify a regular DF13 cable pretty easy....

...you lost me after that. The M8N order page asks which cable I want when I order. DF13 isn't that list. If I am upgrading Solo which is the one I want / which is the easiest to swap. Does it even matter which? Do they all require modification (soldering etc.)?

• Mega EZ3 blue black cable
  • ReadyToFlyer/APM 2.5,2.6,2.7 cable
  • Mega 2.0 (dupont ends)
  • RTFHawk cable

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo