Interesting Folding Solo Design..

Reaction score
Very well laid out and design.. Watch all the way through..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Part 2; First Flight..

very nice.
I'd probably be game to purchase this kit and transfer the electronics over

It's an interesting design, but he did say it get's about 2min less in flight time.

Yea, the design and engineering is very cool and impressive, but if it doesn't materially improve on the overall performance, I'm not sure what the point is... beyond a demonstration of concept/design/engineering/construction skill. Which is a perfectly fine goal in itself, not trying to take anything away from it.

Despite the CF construction, I suspect there wasn't much, if any, weight savings. Four individually actuated landing gear retracts has to negate a lot of weight savings elsewhere. Same with the foldable design - a lot of cost in the weight dept. for a little added convenience.

But again, from a strictly design and engineering perspective... really impressive!

Yea, the design and engineering is very cool and impressive, but if it doesn't materially improve on the overall performance, I'm not sure what the point is... beyond a demonstration of concept/design/engineering/construction skill. Which is a perfectly fine goal in itself, not trying to take anything away from it.

Despite the CF construction, I suspect there wasn't much, if any, weight savings. Four individually actuated landing gear retracts has to negate a lot of weight savings elsewhere. Same with the foldable design - a lot of cost in the weight dept. for a little added convenience.

But again, from a strictly design and engineering perspective... really impressive!
Spot on... valid points. Cool factor is high on this one. Thanks for the share Jubal.

I just realized I have those same super long antenna's.
The TechToo's.
I plan to try them out tomorrow when I get together with my plane buddies.

Is it available yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just a transplant onto a Alien H4 folding quad or similar variant.
They have been available for going on 3 years now.

Link 1 RCG Alien thread-Opinions on HJ-H4 Reptile folding carbon frame - RC Groups

Link 2 RCG Alien thread-H4-680 Alien frame - featuring APM 2.6 (Maiden & Autotune) - RC Groups

Link 3 Alien Builders FB Group 需要安全验证

Link 4 Google image search results-alien h4 folding quad - Google Search

Link 5 Google shopping search results-alien h4 folding quad - Google Search

Reactions: drift
Solo Reincarnation Project - Pat 3: Extending Flight Time

Reactions: RichWest
Solo Reincarnation Project...Extending Flight Time

Cool. Big bird.

When @Pedals2Paddles piggybacked a battery on Solo, not too long ago, it seemed over-weighted. Seeing this setup is the answer to the battery dilemma. Running the stock battery and a larger 4S battery would be no issue. Plus you'd get some reference to discharge levels....at least that's what I'm thinking. Obviously you're going with a more efficient motor/prop/esc setup.

I'd hope the vibes are greatly reduced? I'm always curious to see actual footage from this type of setup.

It's interesting to see many of the past ideas applied in such a fine fashion. Nice bird. Thanks for the share.

Really interesting stuff, am contemplating something like this myself.

Looks like the GPS was replaced with a RadioLink SE100, am I seeing things?

Improvements from stock Solo include further range, folding frame for portability, better power system, longer flight time, no legs in video, and the cool factor is off the chart.

Ha
Seems darn effective from how quickly it found GPS indoors.

That canopy is pretty slick as well, looks custom for sure.

Badass quotient is off the charts.
Happy with it. 30sec to lock from cold start, 18-20 sats with 0.6 HDOP and the best part is, 25 bucks vs. $80 for the MRO. Been using them since they first came out on several of my Pixhawk builds.

The canopy, where can it be fond? Nice job, is there a blog with details on this build. ?
And where was the parallel connection tap for the batteries.?

Last edited:
Improvements from stock Solo include further range, folding frame for portability, better power system, longer flight time, no legs in video, and the cool factor is off the chart.

I totally wasn't criticizing the design, someone had said earlier that it got less flight time than presumably stock.

Can you share the total flying weight with camera and how long a flight times you're getting?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig