How to: Check wifi environment before flying

Reaction score
To me it seems 3DR is saying Solo is very susceptible to wifi interference, so how do you know if it's safe to fly?

They don't tell us how to do this, but maybe an app can help?

I use this Android app a lot: WiFi analyzer by fsrproc

It's easy and quick. Attached is a screen shot, is it safe to fly here?

Note that I fly rc 2.4 ghz aircraft here with no problems but I don't know if Solo would be safe here considering the warnings by 3DR.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-10-08-39-20.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-10-08-39-20.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
To me it seems 3DR is saying Solo is very susceptible to wifi interference, so how do you know if it's safe to fly?

I use this app a lot: WiFi analyzer by fsrproc

Note that I fly rc 2.4 ghz aircraft here with no problems but I don't know if Solo would be safe here considering the warnings by 3DR.
Is that for Android....IOS?

While mentioning WiFi, how many of you have changed your default Solo WiFi password?!?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
i havn't changed it yet.
would that make a difference?

I tried to fly in my local soccer field next to a school , first flight . Lost connection to solo for the whole flight on off on off I guess the area was affected with a lot of wi fi signal, went to another location for the 2nd flight and didn't loose connection to solo once! Kinda sucky that in some places u can't fly it, I have been in the rc hobby for many years and only used spektrum 2.4 radios and never had an issue flying anything anywhere .

I tried to fly in my local soccer field next to a school , first flight . Lost connection to solo for the whole flight on off on off I guess the area was affected with a lot of wi fi signal, went to another location for the 2nd flight and didn't loose connection to solo once! Kinda sucky that in some places u can't fly it, I have been in the rc hobby for many years and only used spektrum 2.4 radios and never had an issue flying anything anywhere .

I'm starting to do a WiFi survey before every flight. I am yet to find a place with no WiFi!

I was in my friends car the other day and it had a WiFi signal that he didn't even know about! We couldn't find how to shut it off.

I agree that these things seem very apt to have a problem when you least expect it.

I did change mine and use the app listed as well works great and gets way more signals than your standard wifi scan, even shows you any that are hidden and gives their stats.

While I agree wifi does affect solo more and is a good idea to change your password, is anybody actually nervous that theirs will be hacked? I'm not personally I think this is being made a big deal when it's more likely that you and your solo will be hit by lightning back to back.

For that matter couldn't someone as easily break into or mimic most other 2.4 radio gear like phantom. Not sure on 3 I have no experience with light bridge but 2 surely wouldn't be that hard. Also wouldn't either case have to be close to you even closer with solo since they need to connect to your controller, seems I'd notice this and break the lil guys legs before he had success. I could be wrong but just seems like this is being made a mountain by mostly the same folks who are trolling places saying how bad solo is without ever trying it their self. Just my opinion though

I agree in general (low probability) and while both are 2.4ghz, light bridge is a different protocol than WiFi and less known, so a "little" less easily hacked in theory. Still low probability though, on an intermittent and mobile unit

Dodge, I downloaded this app and it looks like I need to also order an external antenna too attached to my device? Not sure if I understand what I am looking at.

I need to apologize because I have the Pro and sometimes I start the app without it attached and see the spectrum light up. In not paying attention I assumed it was reading the actual spectrum and not displaying dummy info.

I use this Android app a lot: WiFi analyzer by fsrproc

Can you explain for a total newb how to interpret this graph?
I can see the Solo signal is higher but what tells us the field is too crowded to fly?
Ideally this will be implemented into Solo's app with a rating to tell us more about our chances for a good safe flight...

Thanks!

Can you explain for a total newb how to interpret this graph?
I can see the Solo signal is higher but what tells us the field is too crowded to fly?
Ideally this will be implemented into Solo's app with a rating to tell us more about our chances for a good safe flight...

Thanks!
It isn't so much a matter of safety IMHO. You should always be prepared for an RTH, and be in a good position to have GPS. WiFi Analyser will tell you if you have other hotspots in the same channels you are using. That is interference for you. That makes your controller compete more so to speak for the airwaves. People concentrate on the word "WiFi" but the reality is the frequency and channel are whats important. If you are ina crowded 2.4 GHZ space, you will not have as high a range, and will be more likely to get disconnects and RTH.

It isn't absolute either. A "Go" and "No Go" light sounds good, but in reality there are many many variables, much including the fact that You and your Solo are moving. As your Solo flys off to other places, it can encounter radios that you can't even detect where you are. You can be fine where you are, and Solo can encounter trouble elsewhere. Then what? Hard to account for that, and RTH is a good option.

The good news is that you can make your Solo do what you want (within reason). Knowing the ennvironemnt is a good start. If you are in a crowded space and wnat to fly there, there are options. A Mod exists (free) that allows Solo to choose more open channels. It works very well if you are regularly in crowded environments. I recommend it. You can also get different antennas. They end uo being more directional (you have to point them in the general direction of Solo) but trade that for distance, and penetration (trees etc.) in that direction. There are also boosters for the controller, and higher power Wifi cards for both.

Using various combinations of these, people fly Solos miles away, not that I advise ithat :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado