Hi to all and a question or 2...

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello all,

I've just registered to the forum, I've recently purchased solo and things have been going great although i've had / got a few issues.

1. Since I updated the solo app to the latest version I cannot get video recorded / saved to my camera roll (i'm using an ipad mini 3). I've raised a ticket and they are looking into it, they've asked me to re-install the app which I've done, in the app settings itself access to photos is enabled and in the FVP settings save to camera roll is enabled....but still nothing in camera roll. anyone else having any similar issues?

2. On two occaisions now Solo has lost GPS and started drifting away which I've managed to gain control via manual fly (i'm a novice flyer).... is there a particular reason why solo would randomly lose GPS like that when I've taken off with 9-11 sats?

Any help or info would be great.

Leigh

Hello, Leigh, and welcome to the forum. Solo requires an open sky to maintain good GPS signal. If you fly around obstacles such as tall buildings or trees, you can lose GPS. The signal is also affected by wifi, electrical, and other forms of interference. You need to be aware of this type of interference in your flying area. You did right by switching to manual when you lose GPS. Practice flying in that mode, and assign it to one of your flight mode buttons to make it easier to go into manual when the need arises. I wish you luck, and safe flying.

Thanks Chuck, my most recent time of losing GPS I was about to perform a Orbit of a church which has a big field in front of it (which was my launch site), Solo was approx 100ft in the air and had been flying for approx 5mins with wide open sky above solo, obviously there was the church as a nearby structure and trees around the chuch but these were all below solo when it lost GPS...

So would they still interefere with the GPS when they are below? I've read about nearby structures & trees etc could interfere but 3DR themselves are currently showing an orbit of a church like building on their main homepage and in orbit flight school demonstrate oribiting a tree?

any thought?

any thought?

Leigh,

Chuck may have a different opinion but that does seem odd to me. I'm out in the boonies with very little interference but I also fly quite a bit at our lake home with a bit more interference. I don't believe I've lost signal but a couple of times since I got my Solo a few months ago. The first thing I'd probably do is the new firmware update to 1.3.0. If that doesn't solve it you may want to check your actual physical GPS connections in the bird. It's not very hard to do. To lose the connection as you've described just seems odd to me.

Hopefully, others with more knowledge of GPS systems will chime in.

Jerry

Jerry has a good point. My gps acquisition improved greatly with the latest update. I would start there if you haven't already updated. He is also correct about checking your gps connections. If I can do that, I know you can. I need easy...:D. After that, I would fly it again, and see if there is any difference. If the problem persists, you can send in your flight logs, and 3DR should be able to give you an answer. You might also download an app like WiFi Analyzer on your phone to be able to check wifi signals in your flying area before taking off. I wish you luck.

Reactions: J R
Thanks guys, I did the update this morning and all seemed well, I still can't record footage to camera roll though,

The weather is pretty awful at the moment here in the uk so I'll monitor the GPS lock with this new update as I fly solo more.

I'll download that wi fi analyser as well ;);)

Thanks for your replies

Leigh

Jerry has a good point. My gps acquisition improved greatly with the latest update. I would start there if you haven't already updated. He is also correct about checking your gps connections. If I can do that, I know you can. I need easy...:D. After that, I would fly it again, and see if there is any difference. If the problem persists, you can send in your flight logs, and 3DR should be able to give you an answer. You might also download an app like WiFi Analyzer on your phone to be able to check wifi signals in your flying area before taking off. I wish you luck.

I'll download that wi fi analyser as well ;);)

Leigh,

As chuck noted Wifi Analyzer is great app, unfortunately, it's not an IOS app it's Android. I wish I could answer your question about the camera roll but I don't use my IOS devices much with my UAV's.

Jerry

Look into the GPS cardboard mod. Flaky GPS behavioUr could be caused by the GPS circuit board making contact with the copper shield.

You may also want to monitor the K index (atmospheric interference that can degrade GPS accuracy caused by increased solar activity) by using an app for monitoring that.

Thanks very much for your reply, I'll look into those.

Look into the GPS cardboard mod. Flaky GPS behavioUr could be caused by the GPS circuit board making contact with the copper shield.

You may also want to monitor the K index (atmospheric interference that can degrade GPS accuracy caused by increased solar activity) by using an app for monitoring that.

Also they suggest turning off the wifi on the gopro. The first time I lost GPS I had the gopro wifi on by accident.

Reactions: J R
Yeah ....lol I had a few issues with my old Blade 350 QX and the wi fi from the go pro so I know all about that and never have that one when flying.

I rarely use iOS. I did this morning as android new version not out yet. Mine did not save to camera roll either. Maybe it's a bug in the new version

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150