Help Needed, Which app use with gimbal? 3DR Ap or Gopro

Reaction score
I bought solo gimbal because show amazing features, now i had installed but when try to fly i cant see live stream on 3DR app its this normal? Or need connect WIFI Gopro 4? i am confused about how to use my gimbal i am novice on this if anyone can help me will be highly appreciated i have Gopro 4 Black + gimbal
when i open 3dr app and click on "fly solo" i saw message "please be sure solo is connected to HDMI"
and of course i have connected!!

thanks! have fun!

Respectfully, have you read the directions and watched the youtube videos on setting up the gimbal, flying the solo, connecting to the solo app, and what settings to use on your GoPro?

If so, it's imporant to include that info in your posting so that other users know you have done your own do-diligence, and are not simply being a freeloader, taking advantage of others here on the forum.

FTR, I am not accusing you of anything and I want you to know that; I don't know your personal situation. I'm sharing this just as much as a reminder to others, in an effort to help maintain the integrity and high value, quality content of this forum. I also know that others are thinking the same stuff and have just moved onto the next post.

yes of course i checked videos, i am making my own research but looks like cant find any good info anyway thank you for your useful response :)

1. Install latest version of GoPro App on your phone.
  2. Confirm you have latest version GoPro Firmware installed on your GoPro.
  3. Install the latest version of 3DR App on your phone
  4. Confirm you have the latest version of firmware on your Solo and Solo Controller.
  5. Set GoPro settings to 1080p 24fps, M-FOV, Low Light Off, Spot Light On, ProTune Off, Power Off Never, WiFi OFF (no flashing blue lights).
  6. Install GoPro in gimbal with GoPro turned on.
  7. Power up the Solo.
  8. Power up the Solo Controller.
  9. Connect your phone's WiFi to Solo's WiFi.
  10. Launch 3DR App on your phone.
  11. Wait for Solo Controller to say Ready to Fly
  12. Select Fly Solo on the app and you should see video. Press the gimbal tilt button in to activate recording on both phone and GoPro.
Note: settings I listed can all be changed, but these will for sure work. If any one of these steps has not been done, or done out of order, there no gaurantee everything will work properly. Oh and make sure u have a microsd card in the GoPro.

Not sure about powering the GoPro prior to placing in the gimbal. I have never done that. To me it could lead to trouble if a pin got cross connected.

I bought solo gimbal because show amazing features, now i had installed but when try to fly i cant see live stream on 3DR app its this normal? Or need connect WIFI Gopro 4? i am confused about how to use my gimbal i am novice on this if anyone can help me will be highly appreciated i have Gopro 4 Black + gimbal
when i open 3dr app and click on "fly solo" i saw message "please be sure solo is connected to HDMI"
and of course i have connected!!

thanks! have fun!
You way need to pull the battery tray and check the HDMI connection to the board. It may have come loose when the gimbal was installed.

I did exactly like Matt said, and have same issue, i have control from gimbal (tilt up down ok)
when i select Fly solo appear the same message "Please be sure HD cable is connected to solo" i have 1 hour doing this!! i reinstalled 3 times and same ... , LOL

Every time I have gotten that message, "Please be sure..." It has always been an issue on my part of not properly seating the hdmi connector into the GoPro itself. I doubt after this much you work you are having the same problem.

That said, picking up a new HDMI cable from radio shack,using it to test video from the gimbal circuit board to the GoPro would be a good idea.

At the same time buy an adapter from the little hdmi to the normal hdmi and make sure sure the cable that comes with solo works, by plugging the GoPro into your TV using that little six inch cable.

These two steps will confirm if the solo provided hdmi cable is working or not, if your GoPro is outputting video or not, and possible if the hdmi connection soldered to the board is working.

This should get you a long ways.

1. Install latest version of GoPro App on your phone.
  2. Confirm you have latest version GoPro Firmware installed on your GoPro.
  3. Install the latest version of 3DR App on your phone
  4. Confirm you have the latest version of firmware on your Solo and Solo Controller.
  5. Set GoPro settings to 1080p 24fps, M-FOV, Low Light Off, Spot Light On, ProTune Off, Power Off Never, WiFi OFF (no flashing blue lights).
  6. Install GoPro in gimbal with GoPro turned on.
  7. Power up the Solo.
  8. Power up the Solo Controller.
  9. Connect your phone's WiFi to Solo's WiFi.
  10. Launch 3DR App on your phone.
  11. Wait for Solo Controller to say Ready to Fly
  12. Select Fly Solo on the app and you should see video. Press the gimbal tilt button in to activate recording on both phone and GoPro.
Note: settings I listed can all be changed, but these will for sure work. If any one of these steps has not been done, or done out of order, there no gaurantee everything will work properly. Oh and make sure u have a microsd card in the GoPro.
You left out getting 3DR Services app as well if regarding Android systems.....The Solo App can't run properly with out it.... I have no clue if it is needed for IOS devices....

Last edited:
Same issue as Mario. I received solo this week, updated the copter / controller via the iOS app to 1.2 & then installed the Gimbal. GoPro firmware for the Hero 4 Black updated to the latest 3.0. Have never had a video feed from the gimbal once after a few hours tinkering and following the faq.

Tilt and all other functions appear to work well including record. Uninstalled the gimbal to recheck the cable was seated correctly in Solo. Video feed works without Gimbal installed so have ruled out a problem with Solo's HDMI cable.

Will test gimbal circuitry by plugging micro hdmi direct to the gimbal & out to the TV via an adapter. Nice suggestion Matt.

I edited my post to include, "3DR Services app as well if regarding Android systems."

Unaware if IOS devices require 3DR Services to operate.

yup - iOS version of SOLO app is vanilla and works by itself. Android version "works" by itself but should be opened though Services if you want access to all of the SOLO apps features. Also of course, if you're on the Android version, you get three extra goodies iOS users don't at the moment... Services, Tower and Wearable/Pebble apps. They're all designed to be downloaded and opened through Services. hope that helps - i love as much info as i can get on the SOLO - too much money flying around NOT to know as many deets as poss! ;)

Tested gimbal circuitry by plugging micro hdmi direct to the gimbal & out to the TV via an adapter
and i have image on my TV, not in the solo :(

Same issue as Mario. I received solo this week, updated the copter / controller via the iOS app to 1.2 & then installed the Gimbal. GoPro firmware for the Hero 4 Black updated to the latest 3.0. Have never had a video feed from the gimbal once after a few hours tinkering and following the faq.

Tilt and all other functions appear to work well including record. Uninstalled the gimbal to recheck the cable was seated correctly in Solo. Video feed works without Gimbal installed so have ruled out a problem with Solo's HDMI cable.

Will test gimbal circuitry by plugging micro hdmi direct to the gimbal & out to the TV via an adapter. Nice suggestion Matt.
Did you have video now?

Worked, after disassemble found the Internal HDMI Cable was disconnected o_O

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig